Board Games (Reviews, Rules, Regulations, Random)

The Gnat

9 hours ago, fretgod99 said:

Did you back HeroQuest? I’m waiting for that one. I still have my original copy from the late ‘80s (early ‘90s?).

Edit: Just looked it up: 1991

I didn't end up backing it. I don't have a nostalgia element that would have got me backing it. Plus an older game, I feel like, since they didn't update the rules, it'd just feel older.

On 2/5/2021 at 10:35 PM, The Gnat said:

Swung by my FLGS on my day off today to grab Quicksilver for Marvel Champions. I grabbed Deadly Doodles 2, the expansion to Deadly Doodles with more complex maps and stuff, and Space Base, what a lot of people say is a Machi Koro killer for them.

I've not played Machi Koro but I love Space Base. One of our go to's as there is no downtime for any of the players.

On 2/3/2021 at 8:32 AM, The Gnat said:

I didn't end up backing it. I don't have a nostalgia element that would have got me backing it. Plus an older game, I feel like, since they didn't update the rules, it'd just feel older.

So what you’re saying is you weren’t awesome in your youth and you’re just leaning into it as an adult? To each their own, I guess.

But yeah, it’s pretty much all nostalgia. The original still plays pretty well. But it is what it is.

• 2 weeks later...

Went past my FLGS this weekend. I had to sign off on some store credit I was getting, plus I was basically $100 away from being able to get a game free for $100. I used the store credit on Potion Explosion a game that I've played before, and then got THe Quacks of Quedlinburg, a bag building push your luck game that has been big the past two years. Then with my free $100 game, I got Heroes of Land, Air, and Sea, a bit 4x fantasy game that I've had my eye on for a while. It's very exciting.

I also got a box for storing all of my Marvel Champions stuff, that was separate, so I spent some time sorting that. It was a boring black box, so I got some vinyl stickers to put on it as well which really makes it pop, just white avengers logo and avengers line-up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fretgod99 said:

Started playing Pandemic Legacy Season 0 with my wife this weekend. It’s impressive that they can make the same game feel very new and different each time. We’re only past January, but it’s good.

Nice, I have it on my shelf still needing to get it played.

On 2/16/2021 at 11:36 AM, fretgod99 said:

Started playing Pandemic Legacy Season 0 with my wife this weekend. It’s impressive that they can make the same game feel very new and different each time. We’re only past January, but it’s good.

This is gonna be my next game.

I'm about halfway through Charterstone right now, and while it is pretty good, I definitely liked Clank Legacy a lot more. 

5 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

I love playing games, but no way I could play half as many as you own.....I still haven't even opened mageknight after getting it on sale in November.....

Yeah, I'm just getting ready to non-stop gaming after I get vaccinated, haha.

• Like 1

Did I mention we have Jaws of the Lion, and it is great as an intro to Gloomhaven? We take too much time between sessions, so my wife struggles at the start of each night with her abilities, but it is quite good, and well worth the money.

Definitely going to work on how to replay it also (besides just different characters).

What I'd like to do is (like every other sort of game designer on teh planet) is publish expansions / re-use for GH and Jaws, but of course that wouldn't be legal. I've given thought in how to turn D&D into a similar game (it is really based on 4e, imo, which is ironic given teh hate for that version)......

• Like 1

On 2/17/2021 at 2:42 PM, Heimdallr said:

This is gonna be my next game.

I'm about halfway through Charterstone right now, and while it is pretty good, I definitely liked Clank Legacy a lot more. 

Charterstone was pretty good, but my interest fizzled out about 2/3 of the way through. There’s not a ton of story to keep the drive going. Still fun, but not as much as other legacy games I’ve played.

18 hours ago, fretgod99 said:

Charterstone was pretty good, but my interest fizzled out about 2/3 of the way through. There’s not a ton of story to keep the drive going. Still fun, but not as much as other legacy games I’ve played.

100% agree with this as well. The game is fine, the stuff added to the game generally doesn't make it any more interesting and might make it less interesting because it runs so smoothly at the start. That's the issue I've had with Stonemaier games to some extent, they are so incredibly polished to mechanics that sure it might be a smooth game, but it feels like it's lacking heart, and while that can work for a one off game, not so much for legacy games.

Found a game used that I've been looking for, for a long time. Half-Priced Books, a used book chain up here, does some board game trades as well, so they had Tannhauser, a game from Fantasy Flight that is quite out of print and it was in good condition and about half of what it normally runs on ebay. I need to go through and double check that it has everything, but it's been one that I've been looking for, for a while. Eldritch horrors and WWII, seems interesting.