Board Games (Reviews, Rules, Regulations, Random)

The Gnat

2 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

I haven't. Is that the Taneras 5e Stuff @PrplChilPill, I was looking at that too

Yes.....but what I want to do is spend entirely too much (I want it all)....but can't imagine I'd ever use it all.

Might go in for the main board game and the minis and cards....but the RPG looks unique.....but I own so MUCH RPG stuff.

Just now, PrplChilPill said:

Yes.....but what I want to do is spend entirely too much (I want it all)....but can't imagine I'd ever use it all.

Might go in for the main board game and the minis and cards....but the RPG looks unique.....but I own so MUCH RPG stuff.

Yeah, I wish they had some smaller pledge levels for the board games. I want to get my hands on Taneras Adventures, though that one is just delivering soon. I am tempted to back right now just in case I keep it so I can get that dragon, but I do have some dragon minis coming in from another game.

6 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

Yeah, I wish they had some smaller pledge levels for the board games. I want to get my hands on Taneras Adventures, though that one is just delivering soon. I am tempted to back right now just in case I keep it so I can get that dragon, but I do have some dragon minis coming in from another game.

I'm interested in the two main board games (pretty sure you need arena to play adventures).....maybe I'll just do those two and the minis and card?

23 hours ago, The Gnat said:

Decided to stick with my "I don't need more RPG worlds for DnD" pledge for deciding on KS to back or not, and passed. 

• 2 weeks later...

GenCon week this week. I'm not going, but I am going to be going to the GameZenter (used to be Fantasy Flight Game Center) for pop-up GenCon. I'm curious to see what that will be like, there are going to be some games released there and some demos.

But things kick off tonight with Fantasy Flight's In Flight report. I'm going to be curious about that because a lot of their stuff has been moved to different teams in Asmodee or just gotten rid of. I know Fantasy Flight as a whole has been downsized a fair amount by Asmodee. But it is still Fantasy Flight so I'm interested in what they have.

Pop-Up GenCon was a lot of fun, got to play "four" games. 

My Farm Shop - Good easy to play game. Definitely family weight. I picked it up because it reminded me of Machi Koro where you get to activate something every turn.

Unfathomable - The new version of BSG is very good. The game feels a little bit tighter than BSG and still is an amazingly good game. I pre-ordered it.

Descent: Legends of the Dark - I own it but hadn't played it before. The app is very good and game play is a lot of fun. I want to get it to the table more long.

Catan Yard Game - basically Catan bags, good silly fun.

8 hours ago, The Gnat said:

I'm doing my Top 100 Games list (of all time) 2021 Edition:

https://nerdologists.com/2021/09/my-top-100-board-games-2021-edition-90-through-81/

Haven't gotten that far into it yet, but it's fun every year to see how games shift around.

Azul? Wingspan? Did I miss them? Was Jaws of the Lion in there (great intro to Gloomhaven, and so much easier to set up)?

There was a board game market/exchange at a local Minneapolis cidery, so of course I had to go check it out. I am almost wishing I spent more money, there was Shadow Hunters which looked interesting, Cloudspire, Maximum Apocalypse and Hoplamacus all that looked interesting. I got one big game, Mechs vs Minions, that I've wanted for a long time. And then I picked up three roll and writes: Imperial Settlers: Roll and Write, Copenhagen: Roll and Write, and Hex Roller as well as a solo game, Palm Island. 

• Like 1

On of my favorite games, Dice Throne is getting an IP version which is going to be Marvel. I'm really excited for that, coming to Kickstarter. It's basically a head to head dueling game that uses the Yahtzee style rolling for your actions. The original was a tournament style fighting story to the game, but all of it was fantasy setting, or most of it ways anyways. And even with dice and rolling the game was very unique in how each character played. 

50 minutes ago, carl_sjunior said:

Anyone play Gloomhaven: Jaws of the Lion ? 

I bought it and set it up but it seems overwhelming. 

I've played it through the first five scenarios. It really does a nice job of walking you through it to the point where you'll learn everything. Gloomhaven/Gloomhaven Jaws of the Lion are intimidating to start but not that complex once you get into them and have the core concepts.