Board Games (Reviews, Rules, Regulations, Random)

The Gnat

@SirA1there's a new version of Jixia Academy/Hanamikoji on Kickstarter right now. Looks to add a little complexity, but not too much. And I like that it's a game that you can kind of count cards in it, but with 3 cards being face down and one not in the deck each time, you can only count so much.

I own 7 Wonder Duel but still need to play it. And Truffle Shuffle is a good very light game. Both of those games definitely share some DNA with how you draft.

Skull is good, it's an interesting bluffing game. I own it, and it has some of the more unique components with basically coasters. I think it probably plays best at the higher player counts, though that can make it take a bit longer.

I have Nidavellir on my shelf as well to try. I got that one not that long ago. 

I'm skipping, unless I do it this Saturday, my board game night this month. I might have to try and do a smaller one, but Thanksgiving messes up gaming as does Christmas/New Years in general. I'm still on track for my 365 game plays in a year though. I've played a lot or Orchard.

2 hours ago, The Gnat said:

Oh and at my FLGS, I have enough points to get a free $100 game. I'm not sure what to get. They can order some stuff in, they had Ankh on the shelf, but I've heard mixed reviews on it and it's one I'd want to try first, I think.

I backed Ankh so have it but haven't opened it yet. I heard it plays good at 2 but at higher player counts you just have to ignore the Merge.

Another CMON Marvel Kickstarter, maybe, coming, probably not great for my wallet:

But I am very curious what it is going to be. The Silver Surfer is not a chibi and they already did the Fantastic Four in in Marvel United X-Men. Is this going to be a new game? Is this going to a be a re-skin of something like Cthulhu Death May Die or Zombicide? Who knows, more information to come. There is a 11/19/21 date, I'm hoping that's the date that they do a full reveal on it.

Sleeping Gods showed up today, I've heard so many good things about it that I had to pick it up. I like the idea of a really open world exploration game and Ryan Lauket is a designer I like, though whose games don't always work for me. And his artwork is so good. 

• Like 1

The GameZenter (local game store attached to the Asmodee building/Fantasy Flight building) had a holiday sale, picked up Journey: Wrath of Demons, Starship Samurai, Mesozoic, Keyforge, and two expansion for Clank/Clank Legacy.

Now Pandasaurus has a sale, they did Dinosaur Island, Dinosaur World, and Machi Koro.

Eagle Gryphon has a sale, I picked up more Pitchcar and Fleet: The Dice Game

Wise Wizard Games has a sale, and I'm tempted by Hero Realms

Bought a few things on sales the past few days. Some more Game Trayz and some promos and mini expansions. The big game I got was  Mythic Battles Pantheon, and that's a very big game. And the Pandora's Box that contains all of the Kickstarter stretch goals. They were both 20% off at my FLGS and I had a free $100 game, so I used that on the base box. And in my home town the board game, used book/DVD/Video Game store was going out of business so I picked up Quadropolis, 6 nimmt, and No Thanks.

Anyone else pick up any games?

I had a chance to preview a board game a bit back called Rogue Angels, did a write up on it, it's coming to Kickstarter in February:

https://nerdologists.com/2021/12/rogue-angels-legacy-of-the-burning-suns-crowdfunding-preview/

It's a campaign/legacy style game with some interesting mechanics and a lot of story. Though, the game isn't hard to learn how to play while still giving you good decisions.

We have been playing a lot of Dominion lately, my collection of expansions is growing way too big, need a storage solution.  I also just grabbed Jaws of the Lion last night, it was on sale for $30.  We got through the setup and last night and will try the first couple scenarios tonight.  It's definitely the most complicated game my fiancé has played so hopefully it clicks for her.  

Two newer games that look fun I want to try out are Furnace and Vagrantsong.  

• 2 weeks later...

Started playing My City with some friends on Saturday. It's a nice little polyomino legacy game. Each game takes about 30 minutes and there are 24 total chapters. We chatted as we played and got distracted and ate food and got through six games in 3:30. So definitely plays fast, which is good because it doesn't have plot. It is like Charterstone where it is a legacy game but there isn't story. This just plays so much faster that I'm enjoying it a good amount, and it's a fun puzzle. We are playing four player, 3 of us are at 6 points, my wife is at 0, but still generally enjoying the game.

And forgot to say picked up a few games:

Boomerang USA (there is an Australia version that this is based on) - It's a roll and write game, so wanted to give it a try. If it's not for me, I can always trade it in, or sell it. But I like roll and write games.

Floriforous - A set collection game of flowers. But what's interesting about it is that as you draft flowers or scoring cards from a row, that order from top to bottom, determines who goes first in the next round. So I like the idea of when do you take that really good card for you further down, or do you take an okay card for you one turn to get a really good card the next and leave points on the table.

Xenoshyft Mini Expansion - Basically I think it's a new piece of equipment that can be added in.

Catapult Feud and Siege Expansion

This is the big one, basically it's plastic blocks you build into a castle and then shoot balls from catapults to knock down your opponents troops and destroy their castle. This one I'm claiming is for the toddler eventually but really it's for me now.