Board Games (Reviews, Rules, Regulations, Random)

The Gnat

58 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

So I am going to get Gloomhaven for Christmas and try it out. Any specific links for tips and tricks for beginners?

Gloomhaven or Jaws of the Lions? 

I'd use that for Jaws of the Lion, though that walks you through everything for Jaws of the Lion.

For Gloomhaven:

Both videos have two parts to them. If it's full Gloomhaven, I'd recommend sorting stuff, I like a wooden insert, but not needed. And there is the GLoomhaven Helper App that is really good.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The Gnat said:

I don't know all the games coming to Kickstarter and Gamefound in 2022, I'm guessing even a lot of the designers and game companies aren't sure, but here are some that I know about and am anticipating.

https://nerdologists.com/2021/12/2022-most-anticipated-games-coming-to-crowdfunding/

Really excited for Slay the Spire.  I have way too much time into that game on Steam and mobile so excited to see how they do the board game. 

On 12/16/2021 at 7:44 AM, MikeT14 said:

So I am going to get Gloomhaven for Christmas and try it out. Any specific links for tips and tricks for beginners?

I'd start with Jaws, but if you aren't, that's ok. I didn't start there.

Get the app. Seriously. It makes running everything much, much, much, easier. 

Realize the rules take a bit getting used to at first. Don't be afraid to start over if you need to. We died more than a few times the first few tries.

Anytime you have a question on the rules, there is an answer online. Don't be afraid to look.

You might want to look at rules updates online before playing also.

Sorry I don't have links handy, I usually just google a question.....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I go On Tour for Christmas. It's a nice little (well not so little) roll and write game. Basically creating a pathway across the US or across Europe as a band tour. You are putting numbers in cities with limiting cards as to where those numbers can go. You are trying to put them in order, and if you put a number in a city on one of the cards, you get to circle it for more points. The app is a lot of fun, and I'm excited to play it in person. Super nice production.

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

My family consistently is making me play the “Money goes to free parking, and if you land on it you get the money” rule in Monopoly and I’m sick of it, man. My wife won solely because of that BS rule.

I'll let you in on a secret, it's not a rule. Money going on free parking is a house rule, also, if you decide not to buy a property it goes into auction and even you can bid on it.

I was able to play three new to me board games, well, kind of new to me anyways, this weekend:

Catapult Feud: Build a castle, try and knock down your opponents troops and castle. You use a catapult or a balliste with what I have thus far. It's a simple game, still fun and it's fun to build a castle and then start shooting.

On Tour: A roll and write route building game. It's a good one that I like a lot. I have played it on an app but I got a physical copy and it's just as fun to play in person.

No Thanks: A small game to pick-up but it was a lot of fun. Basically you have tokens and you bid on cards with those tokens. Basically passing on a card trying to get the lowest score possible. It's a question of how many tokens, which will help you skip more cards, do you need to take a high numbered card? Super simple but more depth than you'd think.

3 hours ago, The Gnat said:

I'll let you in on a secret, it's not a rule. Money going on free parking is a house rule, also, if you decide not to buy a property it goes into auction and even you can bid on it.

I know that’s a house rule but that’s how “they play”