Board Games (Reviews, Rules, Regulations, Random)

The Gnat

• 2 months later...

What have people been playing. I've been trying a number of new games. So quick recap on some:

Quarto: Good abstract game, doesn't work for my style of play. But it's basically four in a row based off of specific things. Shape, height, color and more ,and you pick what piece your opponent changes.

Nidavellir - Good set collection game, but feels pretty simple. The bidding was fun for turn order but after a few games it felt similar.

Res Arcana - amazing small engine building game. You have 8 cards to make up your engine and how efficiently you can get it going.

Quacks of Quedlinburg - really fun push your luck back builder. How far you push and will you bust.

Under Falling Skies - very good solo game. It's kind of like Space Invaders combined with Independence day, and dice placement. I have yet to beat it but one of these days I will.

Mesozooic - It's a card drafting game with a real time component with basically a sliding puzzle in there as well. It's goofy and fun and good.

Arboretum - A lot of fu n as well, it's about building out an arboretum where you are trying to place trees in rows, from low to high. But you also need to keep trees in your hand so that you can score those trees.

Final Girl - Another solo game, basically playing a horror a movie as the final girl. Highly challenging but a blast to play.

And there are a lot more as well. Air, Land, and Sea, Paper Dungeons, and more. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Previewed a Kickstarter that is starting today. Edgeguard by Mangy Goblin Games. It's a pretty accessible seeming dungeon crawler. Certainly easier to learn than something like Gloomhaven. I don't think the game play depth is there, but it isn't too light or simple by any means. I don't know what the price is going to be, and I hope that they have something in mind to make it easy to get to the table, for storing the game, but it's one that I'm going to at least keep my eye on while it's on Kickstarter.

• 3 weeks later...

Had a solid weekend of gaming this past week. And did a pretty big board game sale as well. Ended up moving about $1200 worth of stuff at a board game market this Saturday. Also had an amazing prosciutto and pesto crepe for lunch. But basically got enough to get a gaming table now with a topper for my game room.

Played:

Similo - Fun party game and cooperative. Where you give clues about whether or not the person who is it's chosen character is or is not like something. So it might be, is a Swamp Monster like Cthulhu, probably. And the people guessing discuss and eliminate more and more options every round.

Incan Gold - Good push your luck game about going into a temple and trying to get out with as much treasure as you can. But you might flip over monsters so if you push too far in you don't keep what you've collected. What is fun is that you collect a little bit from what is flipped over, divided evenly among the whole group. But when do you leave? Because whatever remainder of gems is left goes to the player or players who leave on a given round. So in secret everyone decides when to stop pushing their luck.

Deception: Murder in Hong Kong - Love this game, it's social deduction but also deduction. I like that you immediately start out discussing an trying to figure it out with real information unlike most social deduction games where the first round is just a lot of random talking and accusing.

11 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

No, just browsed a bit before getting some cider. We were not prepared for a whole event. 😅 

That's reasonable, there were so many games there. I had friends who showed up towards the end thinking, it'll be a few people selling not realizing it'd be about 30 different sellers.

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone is interested in Chip Theory Games, they are doing a price bump June 1st, which they let people know about. Their games are already spendy, but I grabbed Too Many Bones Undertow before that went up in price between $5-10 bucks.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Played Here to Slay the other day with some friends. Really fun game with easy rules. 

Friend bought Nemesis so we may give that a go later next week. I miss my board game group in Manila. Haven't really found one in Beijing that's willing to do a weekly legacy game like Gloomhaven. Though I'm in a Blood Bowl league for the last two years. I just hate the game though. 

• Like 1

I came across this randomly on YT and wow does this game look cool the plastic models are so well detailed does anyone know anything about it? He mentions in the video that this game is replacing another game but Im pretty ignorant when it comes to table top games board games are something I would really like to get into more but I dont know where to even start when it comes to discovering new games and such or where I would even go to get neat games such as this

On 8/7/2022 at 5:23 PM, mattyice0401 said:

I came across this randomly on YT and wow does this game look cool the plastic models are so well detailed does anyone know anything about it? He mentions in the video that this game is replacing another game but Im pretty ignorant when it comes to table top games board games are something I would really like to get into more but I dont know where to even start when it comes to discovering new games and such or where I would even go to get neat games such as this

So from the sounds of it, it looks like it's a minis game, so on a table, terrain, stuff like that you'd need to use as well. And when he talks about it replacing a game, most likely replacing classic Warhammer for him, and the fantasy setting.

It looks like it might be coming from Games Workshop, so the stuff should be fairly easy to find at a local gaming store when it comes out. Though, should be noted, while those minis look awesome, they won't come painted and there will be assembling required, if it is from Games Workshop.