Board Games (Reviews, Rules, Regulations, Random)

The Gnat

6 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

So from the sounds of it, it looks like it's a minis game, so on a table, terrain, stuff like that you'd need to use as well. And when he talks about it replacing a game, most likely replacing classic Warhammer for him, and the fantasy setting.

It looks like it might be coming from Games Workshop, so the stuff should be fairly easy to find at a local gaming store when it comes out. Though, should be noted, while those minis look awesome, they won't come painted and there will be assembling required, if it is from Games Workshop.

Ahh right on I did a little digging yesterday and found some YT channels that play the game so I'll eventually take a dive and try and learn about the game more and find out if its something I would be into.

I would like to get into games like this and board games so it could be a good starting point, I'll have to look for a local game store nearby and maybe find some board games to try out

Thats a shame about the minis if true they look soo good

13 hours ago, mattyice0401 said:

Ahh right on I did a little digging yesterday and found some YT channels that play the game so I'll eventually take a dive and try and learn about the game more and find out if its something I would be into.

I would like to get into games like this and board games so it could be a good starting point, I'll have to look for a local game store nearby and maybe find some board games to try out

Thats a shame about the minis if true they look soo good

If you kind of like the idea of minis, fighting stuff like that, I think that Super Fantasy Brawl could be a solid jumping in point. It's a board game, pretty easy to figure out everything, but you basically mix and match a team of three versus another team of three. And you get points for knocking out your opponents characters and completing objectives. Plus the minis are awesome and no assembly required.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Gnat said:

If you kind of like the idea of minis, fighting stuff like that, I think that Super Fantasy Brawl could be a solid jumping in point. It's a board game, pretty easy to figure out everything, but you basically mix and match a team of three versus another team of three. And you get points for knocking out your opponents characters and completing objectives. Plus the minis are awesome and no assembly required.

I'll have to write that down so I can remember it, thanks for the suggestion

Been playing a lot of Scythe and Terraforming Mars lately with the same group of 4.  I also picked up The Crew which is a fun co-op trick taking card game.  It's a nice change of pace when everyone is a little tired of competing against each other.  Any recommendations for co-op games?  We really like Viticulture as well and saw there is a co-op expansion for that so might pick that up shortly.  

• 1 month later...

https://nerdologists.com/2022/09/the-elder-scrolls-betrayal-of-the-second-era-first-look/

For all you Elder Scrolls fans, a big campaign is coming in March next year for an Elder Scrolls game. I'm very interested.

Also got to play a few games over the weekend:

Blank Slate - fun party game of basically fill in the blank, hope to match with one person to get the most points or more to get a point. Fast and fun.

Paint the Roses - five player game of it, we lost, but it is still so much fun. I love puzzling out everything in the game. And I want to play it again. It's one that I could see with the right group sitting down and playing two times in a row, especially if we lose the first. Cooperative deduction is fun.

Long Shot: The Dice Game - really fun to play this one again. I snuck out the win with a couple of good horse purchases versus a heavier betting strategy. It's not the most intuitive to play as you learn the rules, mainly because some of what you cross off doesn't make that much or any thematic sense. But still, for a racing/betting game, I feel like there's really good excitement to it.

• 1 month later...

We just finished scenario 6 in Scythe: Rise of Fenris.  I have 4 wins so far, we're having a ton of fun.  My brother also just bought me Arkham Horror the card game, can't wait to play this with our group.  I played the first scenario solo and had a lot of fun.

Also, Slay the Spire kickstarter is 11/1, can't wait for that. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/17/2022 at 11:27 PM, flyers0909 said:

Also, Slay the Spire kickstarter is 11/1, can't wait for that. 

It's not cheap but the game looks great. I wonder if card sleeves are needed, if they are, that sucks a little bit, but that also makes the cost more reasonable. I wonder what the stretch goals are going to be.

Also Roll Player Adventures has another expansion. It's a really friendly welcoming game that is a big campaign game.

5 hours ago, The Gnat said:

It's not cheap but the game looks great. I wonder if card sleeves are needed, if they are, that sucks a little bit, but that also makes the cost more reasonable. I wonder what the stretch goals are going to be.

Also Roll Player Adventures has another expansion. It's a really friendly welcoming game that is a big campaign game.

Yeah it is needed, the cards flip over to upgrade them so you'd see what card you're drawing without them.  It's expensive but I've put so many hours into this game and it's my first kickstarter so I ended up backing it for the highest edition.  The beta art will be really cool to have. 

13 hours ago, flyers0909 said:

Yeah it is needed, the cards flip over to upgrade them so you'd see what card you're drawing without them.  It's expensive but I've put so many hours into this game and it's my first kickstarter so I ended up backing it for the highest edition.  The beta art will be really cool to have. 

Yeah, I figured that out after watching a review, and I don't think I was the only one who had that question, they added in a section on how cards are upgraded to the page. I think that overall they need more details on the page, not in videos as to how to play the game. But I'm also backing it because I have a lot of hours in as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Two interesting Kickstarter games popped up this week:

Werewolf: The Apocalypse - Retaliation: which I'm backing, it's a big campaign game in the RPG world from the same company who did Vampire the Masquerade: CHAPTERS. This one is a werewolf theme and a bit darker/gorier for the game. But still RPG in a box, choose your own adventure and combat.

Heroes of Might & Magic III - it's really tempting me, but right now I'm passing on it. It looks like the video game a fair amount, but at the same time, it just makes me want to play the video game. I really enjoyed Heroes of Might and Magic.

• 1 month later...
On 11/16/2022 at 3:00 PM, The Gnat said:

Heroes of Might & Magic III - it's really tempting me, but right now I'm passing on it. It looks like the video game a fair amount, but at the same time, it just makes me want to play the video game. I really enjoyed Heroes of Might and Magic.

Woah, that sounds awesome. One of the GOAT games

9 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

I got Gloomhaven for Christmas... it is intimidating 

It is, get an insert for the box and it'll be easier to set-up and take down. Once you get into the flow of the game it isn't that bad, if you can be somewhat consistent with it.

I'm waiting on my copy of Frosthaven, which is a slightly larger box than Gloomhaven.

Got the Wind Gambit expansion for Scythe for Christmas.  We just finished up the Rise of Fenris campaign so excited to get back to playing the vanilla game with the expansion.

Also go 7 Wonders: Duel which looks really fun.  We don't have too many two player games so excited to try it out. 

• Like 1