Board Games (Reviews, Rules, Regulations, Random)

The Gnat

More Marvel United is coming out in about a week on Kickstarter. They did a live stream this afternoon and showed off the first expansion or maybe KS exclusive expansion, wasn't able to watch, but a large Galactus is coming which looks very awesome. Not as big as the one for Marvel Zombies, thankfully.

On 1/12/2023 at 1:59 PM, The Gnat said:

More Marvel United is coming out in about a week on Kickstarter. They did a live stream this afternoon and showed off the first expansion or maybe KS exclusive expansion, wasn't able to watch, but a large Galactus is coming which looks very awesome. Not as big as the one for Marvel Zombies, thankfully.

To quote myself, it's live. They are getting into some deeper characters, like the Starjammers for example.

• 5 weeks later...
On 2/17/2023 at 5:28 PM, Ty21 said:

Are there any board games I can play with a 9 and 6 year old that is understandable for them but complex enough for me to be interested in it? I have no interest in games like chutes and ladders that require no brainpower 

Castle Panic is my go to. I think it wouldn't take long for a 6 year old to pick-up on the main concepts of it. Or checkout things from Haba, that company makes a lot of games targeting that younger age range like Monza a car racing game, or Dragon's Breath.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/17/2023 at 3:28 PM, Ty21 said:

Are there any board games I can play with a 9 and 6 year old that is understandable for them but complex enough for me to be interested in it? I have no interest in games like chutes and ladders that require no brainpower 

My 9 year old loves the board game Fire Tower . Very simple to understand, but entertaining enough as an adult.

This one is quick enough and offers some replay value. My kid loves the events that happen. Last Defense!

Also the Munchkin franchise also offers a fun game that we used to help our kid learn to read each card thoroughly.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've been playing Planet Unknown some recently and it's moving up the ranks for a game that I really like. It's a polyomino planet terraforming game and it's a lot of fun. It's cool how you build out your planet as there is a lazy susan in the middle and depending on what's facing you (or your dock) you place those down. And each planet has special rules which is fun, and each corporation has special rules, so you really get a lot of options to play with.

• 3 months later...

Under two weeks until Gen Con. Anyone else going?

I played two games of First Rat, one of the hottest games last year at Gen Con. Still a great game, a resource collection game. And I love the theme of rats trying to build a rocket to get to space.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It looks like CoolStuffInc's online board game presence is going away. They've not done a great job of stocking stuff the past year or so. So I've mainly bought from other places. But they right now have board games 40% off. Not a ton of "great" games on there, but a number of interesting ones and some newer ones.

• 1 month later...

Crowdfunding is going hard right now. A ton of games hitting Kickstarter, Gamefound, and Backerkit that look interesting. I'm backing Marvel Dice Throne X-Men, Flame & Fang, Witcher: Path of Destiny, and Critter Kitchen. And Spirit Fire, a solo adventure game from Orange Nebula (Vindication and Unsettled) is coming to crowdfunding today as well as Secrets of the Lost Tomb and DreamEscape and Wonderous Creatures.

Plus I have coming this week and last week from other Crowdfunding games, Roll Player Adventures Expansion, Fliptown, FORK, and Marvel Zombies (that's only shipping in two giant boxes).

• 2 months later...

I don't have a great place to post this I don't think, but this might work since it looks like it was brought up some.

Long story short, some of my friends want to check off a bucket list item and do a couple hours of a D&D campaign. We're all noobs, barely know anything, just want to sit around, drink, and see what happens. 

I was googling online on hiring someone to do it via Zoom and found some options. Has anyone done this before and have a go to? Or a suggestion? 

2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

I don't have a great place to post this I don't think, but this might work since it looks like it was brought up some.

Long story short, some of my friends want to check off a bucket list item and do a couple hours of a D&D campaign. We're all noobs, barely know anything, just want to sit around, drink, and see what happens. 

I was googling online on hiring someone to do it via Zoom and found some options. Has anyone done this before and have a go to? Or a suggestion? 

I haven't done it before that way. I've run games on Zoom for a friend group, but not hired someone in. But that'd be a fun way to dip your toes into it.

There are some modules as well that if someone wanted to run a game in your friend group, it'd be easy to pick those up and get going, especially ones that have characters already made in them.

• Like 1