Week 15 GDT: Jacksonville Jaguars (9-4) vs. Houston Texans (4-9) - Potential Clinching Game

.Buzz

2 minutes ago, VLoo said:

Why do we insist on not using Corey Grant?

I think it's because it keeps him hungry and ready to go. So every time he gets out there he's ready to prove himself and make the most of the opportunity. You can go through Grant's career and on every single play he's going hard. That's that hunger. 

1 minute ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

3 starting caliber RBs in front of him

Plus, i feel like the style of Runner Grant is, tends to work better when used sparingly anyway.  Makes for a bigger contrast when they do use him, and he goes blasting off like that after all the more grinding stuff, and Yeldon working the screens and sorta sifting through traffic.

2 minutes ago, Jags said:

I think it's because it keeps him hungry and ready to go. So every time he gets out there he's ready to prove himself and make the most of the opportunity. You can go through Grant's career and on every single play he's going hard. That's that hunger. 

Guys typically don't just lose that. You either have it or you don't.

2 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Plus, i feel like the style of Runner Grant is, tends to work better when used sparingly anyway.  Makes for a bigger contrast when they do use him, and he goes blasting off like that after all the more grinding stuff, and Yeldon working the screens and sorta sifting through traffic.

Yep. He's a change of pace guy. Which is good to have. The issue is we have three guys in front of him who are any time of game guys (and Yeldon is terrific on third downs). Grant makes it to where we can afford to let Ivory or Yeldon go if necessary though.

1 minute ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

Yep. He's a change of pace guy. Which is good to have. The issue is we have three guys in front of him who are any time of game guys (and Yeldon is terrific on third downs). Grant makes it to where we can afford to let Ivory or Yeldon go if necessary though.

It'd kinda be a shame to let Ivory go, as it's nice to have that continuity of style to just keep bludgeoning away with a punishing 1-2 punch when Fournette is healthy.  But at that sorta price, it'll be awfully enticing to cut the guy.  Can probably find a reasonable replacement for him a bit later in the draft too if maintaining that is a priority (and it probably should be?)

Ivory is probably the most replaceable though.  Which could mean more opportunities for Grant in the future...but they play such different roles, it might not even really affect things at all anyway.

1 minute ago, Tugboat said:

It'd kinda be a shame to let Ivory go, as it's nice to have that continuity of style to just keep bludgeoning away with a punishing 1-2 punch when Fournette is healthy.  But at that sorta price, it'll be awfully enticing to cut the guy.  Can probably find a reasonable replacement for him a bit later in the draft too if maintaining that is a priority (and it probably should be?)

Ivory is probably the most replaceable though.  Which could mean more opportunities for Grant in the future...but they play such different roles, it might not even really affect things at all anyway.

Ivory is an older LF. Yeldon is insurance and third down ace. Grant is also insurance and a change of pace guy. I'd be fine with keeping all four for another year.

Archived