Week 14 GDT: Titans @ 49ers

Forge

I've said for a couple of weeks that this is another winnable game for us, and nothing in the recent weeks has deterred me from that opinion. Jimmy G looks like the real deal, and if we ever get competent in the red zone, we may have the workings of a solid offense, particularly once we add some interior line help. 

There's nothing about Tennessee that scares me. They do have some nice pieces on offense; the running game, a nice receiver corps in my opinion, and the offensive line isn't bad, but Mariota is having a pretty dreadful season truth be told, and their defense still needs work, particularly in the secondary. I wish that our defense was a little better at creating turnovers (we are one of the worst in the league), so that is something that may hurt us in this game, as I do think that they will move the ball a little.  I think that we are once again going to work the clock and keep their offense off the field. 

Whether or not we win could be determined  by how we do in the red zone - I think that we will move the ball well enough, but we haven't been able to consistently finish drives all season, and even with Jimmy G, that hasn't really improved. The playcalling has been much improved with a much more even split. While we were averaging nearly 65% pass plays up until 3 weeks or so ago, the last 3 games we have thrown it on 57% of plays, which is a much better in my opinion. 

I'm going to slant this slightly in favor of the Titans to win, though I think it'll be a close game and I wouldn't be surprised at all if we won it. But I simply don't trust the offense enough to consistently put the ball in the end zone, and our lack of generating turnovers will work in the Titans' favor. 

I'm going to say 24 - 16 Titans right now. 

Titans are pretty solid stopping the run but can be had in the secondary. Byard has been a flat out play maker this year and that's one guy to watch out for. 

Mariota either is being bothered by injuries or is flat out declining big time. His footwork is terrible right now and he's not making good decisions with the football. Their OL hasn't been as dominant as it was last season, but still much better than the Texans OL so it will be harder to generate pressure against them. 

This game comes down to which team is able to establish the run game. If we can run it fairly well and stop their run game, then we have a solid shot at winning. If Henry/Murray get going, they will just dominate the T.O.P and win a typical Titans game. 

We have been real solid defending TEs, thanks to Eric Reid, so it will be interesting in seeing how he fares against Walker. Speaking of Walker, so wish he was still in a Niners uniform. 

Definitely a winnable game that I think we pull out at home. 

SF 24 TEN 17

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

the last 3 games we have thrown it on 57% of plays, which is a much better in my opinion.

I wonder how much of this is Kyle wanting to protect Jimmy, and how much is Jimmy's ability to check into the right play. That's what I loved about Alex in 2011-12, in that he always seemed to make the right read, as it often meant to take the ball out of his hands and give it to Gore or Hunter. During these two years, every time I'd hear "kill kill kill", I was confident Alex saw something he thought he could take advantage of. During Jimmy's very first start, he didn't hesitate to call somewhat lengthy audibles (which impressed me, seeing how he had only had so much time in the system and its intricacies), and always seemed to get us into the right play. Being smart and selfless (as in giving your RB a chance to make the right play, instead of hogging the ball out of ego) will take us far, in my opinion. I hope that's partly what explains our run/pass ratio since Jimmy took over, and not only a reaction to our QBs getting killed in the backfield. 

I'm sure Jimmy has made a few audibles to check to the run, but more likely it is due to actually being competitive or leading for much of the last two weeks. Shanny early on still likes to call his fair share of passing plays, but it has been nice not to be down 20+ points lately. 

4 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Speaking of Walker, so wish he was still in a Niners uniform. 

I doubt he would have become what he has become if he had stuck around. He was never given the chance to be more than a sidekick here, and I doubt that would have changed. He went to a team in need of an offensive weapon and became one, and I've enjoyed watching him these last few years. I wish we'd had more creative coaching staffs. Harbaugh/Roman were for a time, but later became clearly predictable. Who do we have, besides Staley, who were teammates with Delanie? Was Kilgore around? 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I'm sure Jimmy has made a few audibles to check to the run, but more likely it is due to actually being competitive or leading for much of the last two weeks. Shanny early on still likes to call his fair share of passing plays, but it has been nice not to be down 20+ points lately. 

Good point. It's easy to overlook playing with the lead. I mean, these last three years...

3 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

I doubt he would have become what he has become if he had stuck around. He was never given the chance to be more than a sidekick here, and I doubt that would have changed. He went to a team in need of an offensive weapon and became one, and I've enjoyed watching him these last few years. I wish we'd had more creative coaching staffs. Harbaugh/Roman were for a time, but later became clearly predictable. Who do we have, besides Staley, who were teammates with Delanie? Was Kilgore around? 

Yeah, Kilgore and Celek. 

40 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

This. I think Kyle has likely wanted to be able to run the ball more, we've just gotten into a lot of passing-only situations. Late deficits, large deficits, an inability to gain yards on 1st and 2nd...I think what we've seen these last 2 weeks is what he's really wanted.

Just now, Geek said:

Shoutout to Goodwin, hope he can get through this. Been a rough month for him. I'd like to see him put up a TD or two in honor of his father.

Jesus. 

A lot of love to Goodwin...from everything I have heard, he's a very good guy, and this is really tough time for him. 

Dang, hate to hear that. He's been through a lot this past month, and still keeps a positive attitude.

I remember in one of the Bricky by Brick episodes how much encouragement he was giving a disabled kid telling his sister has the same disability but to always stay positive. 

2 hours ago, rudyZ said:

Walker is the kind of TE I'm hoping Kittle can become - not spectacular, but solid with a chance to make a big play every now and then.

Archived