Week 14 GDT: Titans @ 49ers

Forge

I'm rewatching some Jimmy highlights, and wow, sometimes I don't know how he can see the pressure. It's coming from behind, from the side, and he knows it, with his eyes still downfield. Does he have a small mirror hooked to his facemask, like some cyclists do? After years of seeing our QBs be flushed out by phantom pressure, it feels almost unreal to see one feel actual existent pressure, and just maneuver around it. I don't recall seeing him fleeing a decent pocket even once, like we've seen Kaepernick do for years. And he has this natural reflex of protecting himself after getting rid of the ball. That's what great QBs do, because they know they're holding on to the ball to the limit, and just as the ball leaves their hand, they recoil and brace themselves, and Jimmy does it. I remember Brett Favre doing it, let it rip, then protect your arm, protect your head, protect your ribs.

It's just fun looking at the little things he does. He may not be as athletically gifted as Kap and Blaine, but these two didn't know a tenth of the subtleties that Jimmy knows.

3 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

I actually want to see more of Kendrick Bourne. Made some quality plays today. I know he's 6'1", but he looks taller out there to me for some reason. 

Agreed. I honestly thought he was a 6'3" type. Still, 6'1" is bigger than the other guys we have (I live in a parallel world where Louis Murphy doesn't exist). Maybe he just has longer arms. I remember in preseason, he caught a TD and I was happy we now had a WR who was tall and could win jump balls. He isn't that tall, but he looks like it.

I dont think Goodwin was close to his father. He mentioned to reporters after the game that he did indeed lose his father during the week but he was so nonchalant about it like it wasnt a huge deal. He seemed more emotional talking about Jimmy G than anything else. And he was sure to mentioned it was his biological father. He might have a true father-figure type of person in life that wasnt his biological father.

Speaking of Goodwin, he's 103 yards away from a 1,000 yard season. That would be an outstanding feat, considering the QB play we've had for most of the season. We go get a guy like Donte Moncrief or DeVante Adams in free agency to pair with Goodwin, Garcon, and Taylor next year and this passing offense will be insane in 2018. 

11 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I dont think Goodwin was close to his father. He mentioned to reporters after the game that he did indeed lose his father during the week but he was so nonchalant about it like it wasnt a huge deal. He seemed more emotional talking about Jimmy G than anything else. And he was sure to mentioned it was his biological father. He might have a true father-figure type of person in life that wasnt his biological father.

Speaking of Goodwin, he's 103 yards away from a 1,000 yard season. That would be an outstanding feat, considering the QB play we've had for most of the season. We go get a guy like Donte Moncrief or DeVante Adams in free agency to pair with Goodwin, Garcon, and Taylor next year and this passing offense will be insane in 2018. 

I wonder how people got wind of his father's passing then if he isn't close to him. Unless Goodwin said something about himself on his twitter/instagram. 

Hmmmm....I'm beginning to see a lot of you as 'whippersnappers'! I turn 46 in 6 days. Been here at footballsfuture since Feb '05. I despise the Cowboys AND Pete Carroll's Seahawks. Cannot stand what Jerry Jones did to Tom Landry and have hated the 'boys since. After a brief stint as a Dan Fouts fan, I firmly and completely became a 49ers fan as a kid in the 80s. I did not like being told I should like the Cowboys simply because I live in Oklahoma. >:(

Garoppolo is definitely the future. Kudos to Shanny and Lynch for recognizing and taking advantage of Bellichick's offer. Now, pay the man!

I know we have a lot of holes but consider who played yesterday. Now to that group add Pierre Garcon, Jaquiski Tartt, Trent Brown, Josh Garnett, and Jimmie Ward.  Then add in Mostert as a gunner.  Now see if Malcom Smith or Joe Williams can be an upgrade.  Finally add Arik Armstead back into the d-line mix (or trade him for a CB or LB).  

Maybe I'm being too optimistic here but I just see us being in the playoff mix next year.  All of the above is without even considering who we could add with all that cap money we have and without considering a draft like the one we had in 2017. If we can pick up just one good G or C in free agency (completely doable) and one solid CB (doesn't have to be a pro bowler, just an upgrade over Dontae - which should also be doable) and then draft well, I don't see any obstacles other than keeping Garappolo healthy.

Just now, big9erfan said:

I know we have a lot of holes but consider who played yesterday. Now to that group add Pierre Garcon, Jaquiski Tartt, Trent Brown, Josh Garnett, and Jimmie Ward.  Then add in Mostert as a gunner.  Now see if Malcom Smith or Joe Williams can be an upgrade.  Finally add Arik Armstead back into the d-line mix (or trade him for a CB or LB).  

Maybe I'm being too optimistic here but I just see us being in the playoff mix next year.  All of the above is without even considering who we could add with all that cap money we have and without considering a draft like the one we had in 2017. If we can pick up just one good G or C in free agency (completely doable) and one solid CB (doesn't have to be a pro bowler, just an upgrade over Dontae - which should also be doable) and then draft well, I don't see any obstacles other than keeping Garappolo healthy.

I think there's potential to be in the playoff mix late, but the NFC is jacked with all the talent right now. I'm going to be very happy with an 8-8 season. Still really too early, because we don't know how teams will draft or do in free agency, but 8-8 is probably my target with Jimmy G next year. 

3 hours ago, rudyZ said:

I'm rewatching some Jimmy highlights, and wow, sometimes I don't know how he can see the pressure. It's coming from behind, from the side, and he knows it, with his eyes still downfield. Does he have a small mirror hooked to his facemask, like some cyclists do? After years of seeing our QBs be flushed out by phantom pressure, it feels almost unreal to see one feel actual existent pressure, and just maneuver around it. I don't recall seeing him fleeing a decent pocket even once, like we've seen Kaepernick do for years. And he has this natural reflex of protecting himself after getting rid of the ball. That's what great QBs do, because they know they're holding on to the ball to the limit, and just as the ball leaves their hand, they recoil and brace themselves, and Jimmy does it. I remember Brett Favre doing it, let it rip, then protect your arm, protect your head, protect your ribs.

It's just fun looking at the little things he does. He may not be as athletically gifted as Kap and Blaine, but these two didn't know a tenth of the subtleties that Jimmy knows.

There are a ton of QB skills that people tend to overlook.  Arm strength is nice, but nothing without a bunch of other things to go with it. Reading a defense, seeing the field, anticipating who will come free, sensing pressure, staying calm in the face of pressure, the ability to move just a bit in the pocket to buy time, the ability to dodge rusher while still keeping eyes downfield, ... I could go on and on.  All those things also count as QB skills. So when we talk about how "skilled" this or that QB is we need to take all things into account not just eye-popping arm strength.

Archived