Week 14 GDT: Titans @ 49ers

Forge

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Pray for Garoppolo if Brown doesn't play this Sunday. Even more important to establish the run game early and often and to stick with it for the entire game. 

There are positives to be obtained from this though. When we traded for him, given his somewhat slight frame and the fact that he got hurt in his very brief cameo with the Pats, I was worried about his durability. If he can keep getting up though, I worry about it a lot less. 

2 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

The only real issue with Delanie going is that he is still rather productive. Vernon Davis? Not as much. Vance? Sigh. Such a disappointment. 

A very Delanie-like product (with infinitely better hands) could be the Sooner's Dmitri Flowers. He's played TE/FB and RB (with over 100 yards when neither Mixon nor Perine could play). At 240 and 6'2", he has production, size and a knack for getting open. His blocking is often key to the play.

Don't know how he'll turn out, but he's a completely different kind of guy.  Delanie was as fast as most WRs.  That'sspecial for a TE.

Exactly what I said yesterday. This is why I side with players like Brown over the team. Team doctors will usually try to push the player to play even if he isn't completely healthy. So the team being upset with Brown for not going last week is garbage IMO. They are looking out for themselves and not the player. We all saw the Alex Smith debacle and then a few years ago the team doctors told Kaepernick he was fine until he got a second independent opinion and found out he needed an operation. 

Then how did the team doctors let Tom Savage back on the field? The man was having seizure on the field and then is right back in the game a series later. Unreal. 

The Patriots reportedly had the Cleveland Browns begging for an opportunity to acquire the quarterback.

Cleveland is in the same conference while San Francisco is not. But as ESPN's Adam Schefter has said in the past, he doesn't believe that was the sole reason behind the decision. While the Browns organization is in disarray, Patriots head coach Bill Belichick has a great deal of respect for 49ers general manager John Lynch and head coach Kyle Shanahan. Schefter reiterated that belief on Thursday morning during a KNBR interview.

"In this particular case, New England came to the realization before it made any calls, 'Ok, unfortunately for us, as much as we want to keep Jimmy Garoppolo, we can't,'" Schefter said on the "Murph & Mac" show. "'We have to trade him, and we've got to trade him here in the next two days. Where do we want to trade him? I like John Lynch and Kyle Shanahan. I think they're going to do right by Jimmy G. Let's call them.'"

I'm theorizing here, but that trade fell into their laps," Schefter said. "And it fell into their laps, I believe, in large part because Bill Belichick and the Patriots organization had as much respect and good feeling for John Lynch and Kyle Shanahan as they did because the Cleveland Browns had been calling the Patriots last spring over and over. They tried apparently this fall and never got to first base with them. And then Monday morning, the day before the trade deadline (on) October 30, 49ers just sitting there, the Patriots call.

"(Patriots:) ''I think we're open to trading Jimmy G. You want him? Interested?' (49ers:) 'Yeah.' (Patriots:) 'Ok.'

"Next, it takes all of five minutes to agree to because the Patriots came to that point. Now, again, the 49ers are in the right conference – out of conference – but I'm telling you, I believe in my heart that the respect that Bill Belichick had for John Lynch and Kyle Shanahan factored into the decision to make that call into that place that morning.

"Look, ultimately, you've got to get what you think is fair compensation but the time was right. New England had made the decision that they had to move on, and when it looked out at the landscape of NFL teams, I think they liked and respected the people with the 49ers organization. And, as much respect as the Patriots have for Jimmy Garoppolo, they wanted to place him in a place they thought would treat him the way that they thought he should be treated, and that was the 49ers."

http://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/112567-schefter-browns-begging-garoppolo-belichick-49ers-would-right/

Schefter breaking down how the trade came about and why Jimmy G was traded to SF and not a team like CLE. Nothing new, just confirming previous reports.

We can only feel that much more confident in Kyle and John, if this is all true. Just imagine free agents now. Now we'll have John Lynch calling them up, they'll visit, they'll talk with Kyle, Jimmy might have a word with them... that has to account for something. Doesn't hurt that we have a ****ton of money. I'm very confident we'll now get the free agents WE want. Now, the question is: if we're John and Kyle, who do we want?

4 hours ago, Forge said:

There are positives to be obtained from this though. When we traded for him, given his somewhat slight frame and the fact that he got hurt in his very brief cameo with the Pats, I was worried about his durability. If he can keep getting up though, I worry about it a lot less. 

Just wait until we play Jacksonville. 

19 hours ago, rudyZ said:

We can only feel that much more confident in Kyle and John, if this is all true. Just imagine free agents now. Now we'll have John Lynch calling them up, they'll visit, they'll talk with Kyle, Jimmy might have a word with them... that has to account for something. Doesn't hurt that we have a ****ton of money. I'm very confident we'll now get the free agents WE want. Now, the question is: if we're John and Kyle, who do we want?

Reading what Schefter said...wow. I am SO pumped to be a 9ers fan! It's great to know that not only do we have the $$$$$ to bring in FAs (my 1st choice: Ziggy Ansah!), but that others in the NFL have respect for our FO is priceless. That can only help. March and April cannot come fast enough! :D

So Brown didn't' practice again and is unlikely to play so Beadles is starting again. Is Darrell Williams hurt or something? Dont see the purpose in starting Beadles at this point. We should definitely see what we have at Williams. Even trying him@guard couldnt hurt. 

25 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

So Brown didn't' practice again and is unlikely to play so Beadles is starting again. Is Darrell Williams hurt or something? Dont see the purpose in starting Beadles at this point. We should definitely see what we have at Williams. Even trying him@guard couldnt hurt. 

Trust me, it's baffling how Beadles keeps getting thrown out there. Williams was active and healthy last week. Beadles is lucky Garoppolo gets the ball out of his hands so fast, or else he would have allowed three or four sacks. 

28 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Has he come in for more than the one play he had a couple of weeks ago? That one didn't turn out too well...maybe it left a bad impression lol. 

22 minutes ago, Forge said:

Has he come in for more than the one play he had a couple of weeks ago? That one didn't turn out too well...maybe it left a bad impression lol. 

This was my thought, too. Combine that with only ever playing LT in preseason with the 3rd string line (every other lineman saw action at multiple spots and at least some 2nd string duty) leads me to think that they are not keen on that at this point.

If this was another coach, I'd be concerned, but Shanahan hasn't really disappointed me in terms of getting the right guys playing time, and for the right reasons, too. I mean, he did end up starting Magnuson there over Beadles. Seems to me, it's always been a combination of "you'll play when you earn it" and "if you're struggling, I'm not afraid to look elsewhere" with him. As opposed to past coaches' "you have to earn it, but really I'm going to go with my gut and hammer a square peg through that circle hole until I'm damned" philosophy.

But throughout the season, he's waited until guys were ready. Like with Witherspoon. Witherspoon himself noted that when he knew he had to work on Special Teams in order to be active, that's what he dedicated himself to doing. Shanahan rewarded that appropriately. 

Archived