Super Bowl: San Francisco 49ers vs Kansas City Chiefs

19 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Against the Cardinals with a 28/24 pass/run ratio, yet at point there was a 20/10 pass/run ratio when the game was put away. Many games went that way all season. Look at the postseason, clear pass first team. Shanny still runs the ball more than most but this isn't a Jimmy G led offense anymore. He used the shotgun with the spread far more than he ever has. 

He used shotgun/spread more because he has a QB who worked out of that system all four years in college and is comfortable in it. Plus, you can't have Purdy under center with a O-Line as leaky as ours is in pass-protection. Shotgun is the new norm...that doesn't really mean much imo.

I like I said, teams were defending us differently later in the year so he wasn't going to try to fit a sqaure peg in a round hole. 

It's clear how our passing game is structured, we're not set up to be pass-first. From our O-Lineman to our WRs, it's obvious that we don't target guys that fit a pass-first scheme.

Shanny's smart enough to devise a passing gameplan to beat any opponent. But if the run game isn't a big part of what we do, we're not going to be as successful offensively over a sustained period of time.

Purdy being insanely efficient over-the-middle and with the deep ball is in large part why those passing numbers are what they are. It's why Kyle has that luxury to be pass-first when he needs to be. But I don't believe that's how he truly envisions his offense to operate from.

Edited by 757-NINER

5 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

He used shotgun/spread more because he has a QB who worked out of that system all four years in college and is comfortable in it. Plus, you can't have Purdy under center with a O-Line as leaky as ours is in pass-protection. Shotgun is the new norm...that doesn't really mean much imo.

I like I said, teams were defending us differently later in the year so he wasn't going to try to fit a sqaure peg in a round hole. 

It's clear how our passing game is structured, we're not set up to be pass-first. From our O-Lineman to our WRs, it's obvious that we don't target guys that fit a pass-first scheme.

Shanny's smart enough to devise a passing gameplan to beat any opponent. But if the run game isn't a big part of what we do, we're not going to be as successful offensively over a sustained period of time.

Purdy being insanely efficient over-the-middle and with the deep ball is in large part why those passing numbers are what they are. It's why Kyle has that luxury to be pass-first when he needs to be. But I don't believe that's how he truly envisions his offense to operate from.

It's also because he trusts Purdy far more than he trusted Jimmy. This isn't a pass heavy team like the Cowboys but it shifted more to the pass than it ever has with Shanny. I mean this team can never be a true pass heavy team with this OL in the first place.

Teams in the playoffs played more two high to take away the deep ball and that is what they feared most about this offense. 

People just get surprised at how much Kyle goes to the pass in stretches of the game but this is what he does in most weeks. Nothing new. 

59 minutes ago, Herodreamer79 said:

Aiyuk beat his man so badly he fell down but f****** chris jones man. 

May be an image of 7 people, people playing football and text

This one hurts. I mean, if this is as simple as Aiyuk being the primary read, this is like a TD and there's a decent shot we could be champs.  But I think that Aiyuk is probably at the bottom of the progression and most likely serving as a clear for CMC? 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

This one hurts. I mean, if this is as simple as Aiyuk being the primary read, this is like a TD and there's a decent shot we could be champs.  But I think that Aiyuk is probably at the bottom of the progression and most likely serving as a clear for CMC? 

The first option was Jennings on that play and he was wide open as well. McKivitz legit just cost us the SB. I mean the Chiefs score probably the same way but then I think it is sudden death? We would have had a chance to drive down and score to win and we were just coming off scoring on three consecutive possessions. Brutal. 

4 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

It's also because he trusts Purdy far more than he trusted Jimmy. This isn't a pass heavy team like the Cowboys but it shifted more to the pass than it ever has with Shanny. I mean this team can never be a true pass heavy team with this OL in the first place.

Teams in the playoffs played more two high to take away the deep ball and that is what they feared most about this offense. 

People just get surprised at how much Kyle goes to the pass in stretches of the game but this is what he does in most weeks. Nothing new. 

It also depends on the opposing defenses strengths and weakness.

Teams went with more shell coverage to prevent the big chunk plays from Purdy in post-season, true.

But teams like the Lions & Chiefs had performed well against the run, so it made some sense to pass to set-up the run.

But passing to set-up the run isn't the same thing as being a pass-first offense.

Purdy definitely unlocked some of Shanny's trust to get away from the run at times.

But how the interior O-Line was functioning and some of Purdys struggles seeing the field should have kept Kyle more loyal to the run in some instances. I think it could have settled both Purdy and the line down and in certain situations.

I do want to say, I know the numbers weren't gaudy, but I thought Purdy was just fine. I wish he would have hit that deep pass, but dude was under pressure a lot....he took double digit QB hits....and he took one sack and didn't turn the ball over. I'm going to guess the actual pressure numbers are roooooooooough for the offensive line. The offense wasn't always smooth ride, but keeping that offense out of even more negative plays was a big time performance by the QB if we are being honest. 

I know a lot of non 49er fans probably won't see that and think he wasn't all that good, but he played well. 

Dude got the ball down 3, took the lead. Got the ball tied, took the lead. Got the ball tied again, took the lead. I don't know what else you can ask for. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

It also depends on the opposing defenses strengths and weakness.

Teams went with more shell coverage to prevent the big chunk plays from Purdy in post-season, true.

But teams like the Lions & Chiefs had performed well against the run, so it made some sense to pass to set-up the run.

But passing to set-up the run isn't the same thing as being a pass-first offense.

Purdy definitely unlocked some of Shanny's trust to get away from the run at times.

But how the interior O-Line was functioning and some of Purdys struggles seeing the field should have kept Kyle more loyal to the run in some instances. I think it could have settled both Purdy and the line down and in certain situations.

It's more pass first than a run first team. I really don't know how else to phrase it lol. I've been saying this damn near every week in the GDTs. It just should not surprise folks when Kyle draws up 8 pass plays in the first 9 plays of the 2nd half. 

I do want to say, I know the numbers weren't gaudy, but I thought Purdy was just fine. I wish he would have hit that deep pass, but dude was under pressure a lot....he took double digit QB hits....and he took one sack and didn't turn the ball over. I'm going to guess the actual pressure numbers are roooooooooough for the offensive line. The offense wasn't always smooth ride, but keeping that offense out of even more negative plays was a big time performance by the QB if we are being honest. 

I know a lot of non 49er fans probably won't see that and think he wasn't all that good, but he played well. 

Dude got the ball down 3, took the lead. Got the ball tied, took the lead. Got the ball tied again, took the lead. I don't know what else you can ask for. 

Yeah, didn't turn the ball over and scored on the last three drives. He missed the read on the McDuffie blitz and should have gone to Aiyuk but overall he was solid. The OL letting Jones go free was something he could not control and obviously he missed the one to Deebo when Jones got to him. That's the one he needs to hit, even when getting pressure in his face. 

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

The worst thing you can say about Purdy's performance in this game is that he, like all 30 other starting QBs in the league, was not as good as Patrick Mahomes

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Forge said:

I definitely don't put this on Brock.

He did all he could do.

But as I've been saying for weeks now he could be EVEN better if they just invest upfront like they do on the D-Line. 

The interior O-Line NEEDS to be one of the best units on the team moving forward.

Not the worst.

I'll sacrifice some talent on the D-Line to mitigate our deficiencies on the interior right-side of the O-Line.

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 1

To the Chiefs credit: they are phenomenal at getting and developing secondary talent. Chris Jones, you are Aaron Donald without the pub and please go anywhere the *** else and get your money. Mahomes did enough to win and credit to him for that. 

I think Greenlaw not tearing his acl wins us the game. 

Chiefs win congrats to them, sucks for us.

Edited by Ftn49
  • Like 1

Oh yeah....we have to find a linebacker to replace Dre next year. 

I can't imagine that they are going to let the kids step in for both Dre and Burks 

What's a reasonable time table for Dre? Mid season? Worst part for Dre is his last year of his deal (next season) which he's severely underpaid .

Edited by 49erurtaza

6 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

It just should not surprise folks when Kyle draws up 8 pass plays in the first 9 plays of the 2nd half. 

And I'm saying that shouldn't be the case, given our personnel and the defense we're playing. 

Nothing sucks the life out of an offense like going 3 and Out, back-to-back, on six consecutive pass plays to open a half.

When we are down by multiple scores is one thing.

But not when we been controlling the game for an entire half, being balanced. 

We see it differently I guess, and that's coo...

1 minute ago, 49erurtaza said:

What's a reasonable time table for Dre? Mid season? Worst part for Dre is his last year of his deal (next season) which he's severely underpaid .

Cam Akers tore his achilles and came back in the playoffs that year....so I suppose there 's  chance he starts on pup and comes back mid season....but I'll just say that for linebackers especially, Achilles tears are a 2 year thing. I wouldn't expect him to come back and be really good next year if he did come back. 

• Like 1