Super Bowl: San Francisco 49ers vs Kansas City Chiefs

1 minute ago, Forge said:

The playoff win percentage stat posted in NFL Gen will make you sad lol. Everyone with with a playoff win percentage at or above the niners over the last 25 years has at least two super bowl wins lol

Kyle is like 8-4 in the playoffs with four of the toughest losses a coach can have lol. 

It just sucks. 

• Like 2

Yeah. This one was a lot to handle. For as good as Mahomes was (and he was great), it felt like the real difference was the coaching. Like, both defenses were shot in terms of personnel by the end of the game. And it was down to both sets of coordinators coming up with one clever idea or so. And Spags got us with clean unblocked rushers on the two most important plays of the game. Brock's been good all year against the blitz and if you'll listen to any folks from separate systems, a lot of folks believe that is in spite of Kyle's hot system that has him often having to find his hot route away from the side that the blitz is on. But that wasn't even the problem on these third downs by my eyes. The first, Spags just got deep in his bag and we did not have a quick answer on the play. And on the second, it looked like massively blown blocking assignments. Can't have a free rusher through the A gap.

And Mahomes is awesome, but it seemed as though we had nothing clever to say for ourselves on any of the last 3 drives. But it's rough. Kelce requires more than one guy at all times and if you play man with a double on Kelce, then you are probably going to be letting Mahomes run around and buy time for folks too much.

I really think that the mistake was letting it get to that point. Too many offensive penalties and 3rd and 8s to 15s. Too many wasted plays trying to hit kill shots on a team that doesn't allow them. We spent so many drives in the 2nd and 3rd quarter frivolously. And not much of that is on the quarterback for me. I honestly thought that the O-line held up better than expected in one on one blocks, it just felt like our answers versus the blitz were just much less simple than theirs. And our defensive coordinator was much less savvy than theirs.

And yet again, it's been a similar chorus where the special teams, pass protection, and dropback game as a whole just aren't good enough to win a championship. It isn't going to get easier. We're getting even older - Dre's injury hurt and before that Huf's but we've been very lucky overall getting through as unscathed as we did through the season with our best guys. Won't happen every year. Brock's going to need to be paid. We're going to have to actually draft meaningful football players. The NFC is going to get a couple of young quarterbacks in. We'll be the favorites in the conference again, but I'm not sure that we'll have an easier shot at it. So many of the best teams this year had crapped out due to injury. We avoided the Ravens. This Chiefs team did not have a lot of firepower or a great offensive line.

So, yeah. I have faith in Purdy as a second contract quarterback. But the simple fact is that championships are difficult and this nucleus has one more shot probably before there will have to be major reconstruction. The reconstruction this offseason on both lines of scrimmage is not going to be the sort of thing that bears fruit right away - you don't count on rookies to do that sort of thing year one.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

Nothing sucks the life out of an offense like going 3 and Out, back-to-back, on six consecutive pass plays to open a half.

When we are down by multiple scores is one thing.

But not when we been controlling the game for an entire half, being balanced. 

It looks worse than what it was though. 1st drive we start off with an incomplete pass and a false start to put us at 2&15 and 2nd drive we had a botched screen pass to put us at 2&18 which limits what you can reasonably call. Looking back at the first series off the INT when we started at KC 44, we should probably have been more aggressive and considered it likely 4th down territory from the start, and subsequently start off with a couple of runs and see what that netted us. 

But overall I don't have any major gripes with our game plan. It absolutely sucks losing and we have every right to feel heartbroken but it was always going to be tight going up against the Chiefs and then you add some miscues and key injuries and this is how it ends. If this was Shanahan's first loss no one would be saying anything, people just love to build a narrative and don't understand how small of a sample size three games actually is. 

We will be back here. And we will be back with a motherf* vengeance. Again.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John232 said:

I can’t sleep. Sick. This team is cursed. Feels like we won’t see it happen in our lifetime. Any team team, sans Dallas, that hasn’t won in the last 20 years, I’m cheering for fervently 

Same... 5 am here. I already took the day off going in though. 

I have a tough time feeling the cursed thing though. I wasn't aware enough for a the first 2, not even a teenager for the second 2 and barely a teenager for #5. 

Detroit has never even been to the nfc championship game? I think, for sure the superbowl though. And Chicago has never had a 4000 yard passer if coward is right. We have an incredibly rich history that outside a handful of teams, no one comes close. 

It's tough to see right now but we'll be ok.

Interesting seeing the "fallout" posts of fanhood around the web in the hours after the loss. Don't know why, but I find it fascinating seeing people at crossroads with their invested interest. 

I was a huge Suns fan for about 30 years. Felt gutted when Jordan took us out in 93. Loved Barkley. But then ai went through the heartbreak 15 years ago when the Suns had Amari, Nash, etc but just couldn't overcome San Antonio. Squandered an opportunity over and over until the Lakers just took over the division and Nash retired without a ring. Just gave up on basketball. When they lost a couple years to the Bucks in the final, just said oh well and went to sleep. I was ok with that.

Gonna do the same with this team.

Wonder what I'll do. Maybe just invest in nostalgia NFL content here/elsewhere (the game was better then anyway), and peak my head in here every once, and a while. Hmm...

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

well. Another one bites the dust. Really thought this was the one especially when we went into OT.

Thought there's some evil NFL universe that really wants Shanahan to work for this one. Well didn't happen.

I am terrified of this upcoming season. I hope we avoid the injury bug that plagues super bowl losers from time to time.

I try not to be too negative but the Philly Andy Reid comp to Kyle is a real thing.

It would of been so awesome to celebrate with the wife and kids last night but here we are again another L.

anyways, see you guys around.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, adamq said:

Really tired of this Faithful crap. They are just putting a spotlight on us coming back for more every time the team fails. Find something else to label the fanbase with

That label came I think around 2004 in the midst of one of the worst seasons in franchise history. 

I remember the marketing campaign with commercials desperately trying to sell tix to fans. 

That moniker was never around during the 80's, and 90's. Thank goodness, because I hate it. Make it sound like you're mindless groupie that is content with the franchise regardless of the results. But I'm probably just looking into it too much, because I'm still in a foul mood lol. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe