Super Bowl: San Francisco 49ers vs Kansas City Chiefs

4 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Remember Taylor Price?

Weird take. Someone calling out Marathe was not on my bingo card. 

LOL 

"football analytics" did not cost the 49ers the super bowl. Dear lord. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

LOL 

"football analytics" did not cost the 49ers the super bowl. Dear lord. 

I mean, number one on that list of things that cost the Super Bowl should be a freak Achilles injury imo. Number two should be a freak punt return mishap.

Then you can start looking at the things within control - I'd have like to have seen some better ideas from Kyle against the man cover one. Brock killed it all year taking out routes to Aiyuk against those looks. Would have been really nice to have a sensible answer to an exotic blitz on the 3rd and 4 that could have won the game in regulation. I know that we like getting 5 into a pattern because Brock sees things well and we have nice weapons, but it is predictable and requires him to see literally everything all of the time including whatever weird Spagnuolo blitz that was definitely getting cooked up.

Would have liked a single holding penalty on some of the close ones on the Chiefs. Would have liked to try and maximise opportunities by going for it on fourth down on one of the last two drives or by taking the ball second in OT.

But those are all way, way behind the first two that took the competitive advantage away from the team that was better in the first half and took the lead that they had built while being better away in two swoops of the luck punch. You try to build a team that is good enough so that they can be better in spite of bad luck rolls. But sometimes they happen and you are within the luck tolerence threshold. Honestly, given some of the weird things that went wrong (having left out the Deebo and Kittle injuries) it took serious work for us to take them to the wire. The offense did some good stuff moving the ball against a very good defense over the last few drives and the defense did stink out loud but they barely got stops in the red zone in important situations. 

Now, this is no solace. Because as we've seen, getting back there is not guaranteed. Even the Chiefs with Mahomes, as inevitable as they seemed at times, had to ride every amazing luck roll imaginable to win. Pretty sure they lose against Baltimore if Flowers doesn't fumble going into the end zone. Winning a Super Bowl is really hard. It rarely happens clean unless you have a truly great team that is also feeling it. We were a truly great team this year at times. Before the Trent and Deebo injuries on offense. After the Young addition and before the Huf injury on defense. But them's the margins.

We have real replacing to do just to get this year's level of production back. Young wasn't a star, but he was a reliable starter opposite Bosa in the playoffs. We don't have one of those on the roster. Greenlaw was banged up for most of the season and sometimes ineffective with injury, but is still a really monster player for his position. Doubt that we'll get someone to cover that role as well.

You hope to make up for some of that by improving on some other places. It's hard to have a worse starting right side of the offensive line than we had. And you hope that if you are a legit championship contender enough times, the laws of chance will grant you a good roll or two. Some teams get lucky on their one roll or two. It's frustrating, but it happens. I'd point to the Rams or the Foles Eagles. But for many, you just have to be good enough long enough. We are down to our last two bullets in this form, though, I think. And either of those bullets might be faulty due to injuries. At that point, we have to rebuild and get some new ammunition. And maybe have an outside shot in in between years if Brock is on the higher end of what he's shown. The guy is still young.

• Like 6

For those curious, the quoted thread has some pretty good data and info. It's not exact...I think some of the overall numbers could be tweaked here and there and they tend to shift slightly based on what sample you're actually grabbing. Ultimately, these are all isolated, individual events  just as a larger sample of the exact situation would be. 

Ultimately, it's just a gut call preference and probably always will be. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JIllg said:

I mean, number one on that list of things that cost the Super Bowl should be a freak Achilles injury imo. Number two should be a freak punt return mishap.

Honestly that achilles the way it happen may be a freak thing but the fact it happened really shouldn't be a suprise to anyone. The guy basically has been playing with a light tear for weeks now. Achilles Tendinitis is no joke and he played knowing the risk of tearing it completely was always there and probably increase with each passing week. 

• Like 3

Can't remember how it was in the past 49er SB losses, but man it seemed like there was a barrage of anti 49er sentiment after the SB loss. Like, so many memes, so many serious questions about Shanny's strategy and this/that. And i get it, losing in the biggest stage sucks and there are always things to question, even in a win. Although i'm largely over it by now, it still sucks. 

But at the end of the day it feels like the sentiment was towards a team who got blown out by 3 TD's....it was a 3 point OT loss to the current dynasty and best QB/HC in the game? 

Hope we win it all on February 9th 2025 in New Orleans 

• Like 2