Super Bowl: San Francisco 49ers vs Kansas City Chiefs

24 minutes ago, Forge said:

Our secondary is #1 in the NFL in missed tackle rate

Shanahan needs to have a long, hard look at what the heck we're doing with this defense this offseason because something has to change. This group is ultra-talented and it's the worst we've seen them since 2018. Completely unacceptable. 

Either Wilks needs to go and you find someone who can make the wide-9 work or ditch the wide-9 and pivot - something. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Forge said:

Our secondary is #1 in the NFL in missed tackle rate

It's also partly how they are taught to attack the ball carrier though. We have seen the slippage in the run defense with the safeties hesitant to hit the hole. Our corners are good tacklers for the most part. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NinerNation21 said:

Shanahan needs to have a long, hard look at what the heck we're doing with this defense this offseason because something has to change. This group is ultra-talented and it's the worst we've seen them since 2018. Completely unacceptable. 

Either Wilks needs to go and you find someone who can make the wide-9 work or ditch the wide-9 and pivot - something. 

I know teams who've played the wide 9 in the past have struggled against the run b/c the defensive line is more geared towards to rushing the passer but not sure about all the coverage & tackling issues in the secondary.

I've always feared the secondary's inability to cover whether it's zone or man as opposing QB's can move the sticks on them in the air. I miss the 1994 team that had Deion who played man and then the rest of the guys played zone as Erick Davis, Merton Hanks & Tim McDonald were great and they still had NB like Toy Cook coming off the bench.

23 minutes ago, NFL Network said:

I know teams who've played the wide 9 in the past have struggled against the run b/c the defensive line is more geared towards to rushing the passer but not sure about all the coverage & tackling issues in the secondary.

I've always feared the secondary's inability to cover whether it's zone or man as opposing QB's can move the sticks on them in the air. I miss the 1994 team that had Deion who played man and then the rest of the guys played zone as Erick Davis, Merton Hanks & Tim McDonald were great and they still had NB like Toy Cook coming off the bench.

I actually think our coverage has improved this season, but our front 7 play has taken a severe nosedive. 

• Like 4

Not sure if this is a Shanny thing or a Brock thing but 1st half of the 4 playoff games (obviously not counting Philly): 

• 9 - 19, 147 yards 1 TD, 1 sack -8 yards
  • 12 - 19, 129 yards, 2 sacks -15 yards
  • 10-16, 125 yards, 1 Td, 1 sack -7 
  • 7 - 15, 93 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT

38 - 69 (55%), 494 yards (7.16 yards per attempt), 3 TD, 1 INT 4 sacks for -30 yards. Points scored: 16, 9, 7, 7 

It's not bad or anything ,but it's not great...and it's a far step below what we are used to getting from the position in the regular season. 

Really need Purdy or Shanny or whomever to get this fixed in the super bowl. This kind of slow start can sink you. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Forge said:

Not sure if this is a Shanny thing or a Brock thing but 1st half of the 4 playoff games (obviously not counting Philly): 

38 - 69 (55%), 494 yards (7.16 yards per attempt), 3 TD, 1 INT 4 sacks for -30 yards. Points scored: 16, 9, 7, 7 

It's not bad or anything ,but it's not great...and it's a far step below what we are used to getting from the position in the regular season. 

Really need Purdy or Shanny or whomever to get this fixed in the super bowl. This kind of slow start can sink you. 

The weather in the Packers and Seahawks game hurt, obviously. And Purdy has not been at his very, very best in the playoffs ripping with timing and anticipation. But, for most of the Lions and last year's Cowboys game it seems to me (with the help of some internet football people like Jonnydel and JTO and the various children of Martz) that Kyle got pretty heavily dunked on by an opponent prepped against his favorite answers. In the Lions game , there was no bite on Aiyuk's double move in the first half against a pressure look (even given that it was probably Aiyuk's worst route on the season). We cut the Jags pressure defense to smithereens with double moves. Both the Lions and the Cowboys completely smothered our favored slant + single blocker screen play with beautiful design to the point that it was a really nice play by Brock just to get the ball thrown away. A couple of our slide concepts were utterly swallowed to the point where Brock just had to bail and make a play both against the Lions and Cowboys. Brock could make better decisions when problems come, but I straight up think that Kyle has some things to prove in the Super Bowl. Kyle's awesome at what he does and has been a massive force multiplier for the team. But we could really use a game where his adjustments get it done. The Dallas game this year comes to mind. It's gotta be harder to come up with clever subtleties as the brain drain has continued, but I think that he has a bit to prove here. I think that he'll respect the danger of the Chiefs' defense enough to feel the same way.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, JIllg said:

I think that he'll respect the danger of the Chiefs' defense enough to feel the same way

I hope so, because that KC defense is going to give Purdy a lot of different looks. Pressure from everywhere, I'd almost bet that Snead will get home for a sack. Kyle has to come up with the counters to beat one of the best DCs out there

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Forge said:

For comparison, what are the 2nd half numbers?

2 minutes ago, jonnguy2015 said:

For comparison, what are the 2nd half numbers?

Roughly: 

9-11, 185 yards, 2 tds, 1 rushing td, 0 sacks, 25 points

7-10, 85 yards, 0 sacks, 10 points

13-23, 125 yards, 0 sacks, 17 points

13-16, 174 yards, 0 TDs, 2 sacks for -9 yards, 27 points. Brock also had a good chunk of his career post season rushing yards in this one, though not sure the exact figure. 

Total: 42-60, 70%, 570 yards, 9.5 yards per attempt, 3 total tds, 0 turnovers, 2 sacks for -9 yards. Nearly 20 points per half compared to less than 10 points per first half. 

Worth noting that the defense has also cranked it up in the second half. 5 second half turnovers (2 against GB, 2 against Seattle, 1 against Detroit) against 2 first half turnovers (both in Dallas game)