The "Just Say Yes" Bowl

HeresAGuy

1 hour ago, Mr Bad Example said:

wat

At a lot of sporting events one or both of "Lift Every Voice and Sing" and "America the Beautiful" are sung before the national anthem.  The former is sometimes called "The Black National Anthem" though it was originally written as a Christian Hymn in 1900.  The song is about "how the struggle for freedom and equality inspires hope" which could be seen as an analogy for "the book of Exodus" just as easily as it could be for the story of African Americans in the history of the U.S.

Because many pre-game activities for normal football games are generally not broadcast before kickoff (networks generally prefer to have their studio talking heads on camera) people don't know that singing "Lift Every Voice And Sing" before NFL games is in fact fairly common (they have done it, for example, before the Kickoff game every year since 2020.)   But there are whole subgenres of media in this country who exist primarily to foment outrage by stripping things of  context.  You can get people mad by saying "they're singing two national anthems before the superbowl" because you're not mentioning that one of them is not actually a national anthem, and they sang it before the two conference championship games and the Superbowl last year and somehow America survived this.

Personally, I believe they should sing as many songs as they want to before the superbowl provided that kickoff happens at the scheduled time.  People are showing up early to get in their seats so it's good to have something happening on the field.  Sing songs, walk around with flags, have the mascot hit some dingers, whatever.

Edited by PossibleCabbage
  • Like 8

The people that like to call out snowflakes for getting upset at silly stuff like, "equality" and "gay rights" and "not storming the capital to stop a fair election" sure do like to get outraged at the stupidest stuff.    Bud Light, Green M&M's, Dr Suess, :30 sec of Taylor Swift, fake national anthem reports, etc.   

Think the 49ers just have too much offense to lose but it would make me very happy to see the Chiefs win and watch people throw an absolute conniption fit

• Like 8

I've been watching the Sunday games for years at a buddies house, and he's a huge SF fan.  Now I'll be going to his SB party, and for the sake of him and his son, will need to pretend I want SF to win. I actually expect KC to handle SF fairly easily.

• Like 1

On 1/29/2024 at 6:07 AM, MacReady said:

The only Taylor Swift coverage I see is people complaining about Taylor Swift coverage.

honestly, it's pretty sad

so many loser men out there complaining she's on the screen. in the span of a 3 hour broadcast, she's on for a whopping...20 seconds on average. 

• Like 1

On 1/29/2024 at 8:07 AM, MacReady said:

The only Taylor Swift coverage I see is people complaining about Taylor Swift coverage.

I think it may be due to who I follow on social media/twitter but I feel like it's now shifting to coverage of people complaining about people complaining about Taylor Swift coverage lol

Edited by Arthur Penske
  • Like 3

On 2/4/2024 at 3:28 PM, PossibleCabbage said:

At a lot of sporting events one or both of "Lift Every Voice and Sing" and "America the Beautiful" are sung before the national anthem.  The former is sometimes called "The Black National Anthem" though it was originally written as a Christian Hymn in 1900.  The song is about "how the struggle for freedom and equality inspires hope" which could be seen as an analogy for "the book of Exodus" just as easily as it could be for the story of African Americans in the history of the U.S.

All you had to do is say that they were performing "Lift Every Voice and Sing" and I was like "oh, yeah, I see why that is apparently a life-altering problem for a certain group of people"

Edited by Mr Bad Example
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

KC really needs to win this game.  I don't want to live in a universe where Purdy defeats Mahomes in a SB.

SF - 17
KC - 14

Purdy - 10/21, 140 yards, 3 INTs
Mahomes - 18/20, 250 yards, 2 TDs, 0 INTs

PURDY OUTDUELS MAHOMES

Brock Purdy showed true grit and determination by complete a 50 yard pass with ten seconds left to bring SF into FG range, proving he's the NFC's top QB*

* - the pass was actually a checkdown to CMC 1 yards beyond the LOS where he broke 3 tackles

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Striker said:

SF - 17
KC - 14

Purdy - 10/21, 140 yards, 3 INTs
Mahomes - 18/20, 250 yards, 2 TDs, 0 INTs

PURDY OUTDUELS MAHOMES

Brock Purdy showed true grit and determination by complete a 50 yard pass with ten seconds left to bring SF into FG range, proving he's the NFC's top QB*

* - the pass was actually a checkdown to CMC 1 yards beyond the LOS where he broke 3 tackles

"KC would've won if it weren't for Taylor Swift and Kelce distracting the team" 

• Like 1

Are we finally gonna get this game over with? Cant remember a SB I've been less interested in.
Probably has something to do with the fact that I dont want either team to win....which is a problematic :)

Edited by Leader