Rodger Goodell done after 2023

SpanosPayYourRent

He is just the face of the owners. They're going to get a new face, but the owners will be the same. New Roger Goodell will only be as different as the owners want him to be. And for all of Goodell's faults (which mostly lie with his punishments and personal conduct policy), the league has thrived and flourished under his leadership. We've only recently started to see some signs of that train slowing down. 

The next five years and the task of the next commissioner will be an important one though. The NFL is starting to have to reckon with the change taking place in people's living rooms. They're going to have to adapt to how people watch TV, which means they're going to have to really commit to streaming. There's a reason sites like this have stickied threads telling people not to ask for streams, because there's significant demand for it. Making your product harder to see for people out of market area has always been a bad idea, but it made sense before streaming became possible, now there's no excuse.

And player safety is an even bigger, long term problem the league has to figure out. Parents are turning their kids away from football due to the concerns. I work with students and parents and every year there are more parents pulling their kids away from football. This is an issue that is going to take another 15-20 years to fully show up in the game, but it could have devastating consequences when it does show up on the league's door step.

9 hours ago, paul-mac said:

I'll miss him. More specifically I'll miss his ability to turn some once rational fans into utterly raging, seething, verge of tears messes.

I'd like Troy Vincent to take over.

I want whoever will be their own person and not a Roger puppet replacement. I want someone who won't be obsessed with total power as Roger has been. What concerns me about current NFL guys is that they all seem to back Roger no matter what. 

Ole Roger will be around longer after 2023, the damage he (and the owners pulling the strings) have done to the league's image over the past 11ish years of his commissioner era will haunt the league for decades to come.

Props to him for getting a massive paycheck and a lifetime private jet, Being a corporate stooge is a great gig.

Archived