Rodger Goodell done after 2023

SpanosPayYourRent

2 hours ago, DingoLadd said:

Ole Roger will be around longer after 2023, the damage he (and the owners pulling the strings) have done to the league's image over the past 11ish years of his commissioner era will haunt the league for decades to come.

Props to him for getting a massive paycheck and a lifetime private jet, Being a corporate stooge is a great gig.

I’ll bite. What “damage” has he done?

17 hours ago, paul-mac said:

I’ll bite. What “damage” has he done?

I'm not exactly sure what "damage" he's single handedly inflicted since he's more or less a well paid puppet by the owners but I'll assume he has some power and the owners allow him to do these things so I'll assume he's responsible.

The mishandling of several PR things (Domestic Violence in general, Patriots scandals twice) it's ridiculous how awful Roger bungled the Ray Rice situation and the domestic violence cases afterward.

Player safety under Roger Goodell has been....Laughable to say the least along with the Ref lockout of 2012(2013?) that led to the fail mary because the NFL cheaped out and hired High school, Lingerie Football league refs, and reject college refs.

Not to mention the suspensions and fines he's handed out have been inconsistent at best.

The NFL has been profitable under Roger but it's image has been trending down for quite a bit.

21 hours ago, DingoLadd said:

Ole Roger will be around longer after 2023, the damage he (and the owners pulling the strings) have done to the league's image over the past 11ish years of his commissioner era will haunt the league for decades to come.

What damage?  Serious question.

ETA - sorry, I see the question has been asked.

On 12/13/2017 at 11:50 PM, FourThreeMafia said:

Then how about you explain it to everyone?   Looking forward to it.  

He's basically the spokesperson for the NFL Owners.  He does their bidding.  He can only do what they give him the power to do.

As far as the damage he's done, he really hasn't done any damage to his relationship with the owners or the game...his major damage is the relationship with the players and their union.  But, I'd argue that it's not his fault, it's the players' union's fault.  He's an attorney, so he knows contract law...like many attorneys, he's going to maximize the real-life practice to the fullest extent of the law that he can.  But, by doing so, he's going to step on some toes...which he did with the players union.  But, they gave him that authority, which I said was a tremendous mistake at the time.  So, the fallout was not surprising to me.  Maybe he should have taken the bigger picture view and seen the future ramifications of his stances, but that isn't what he was being paid to do.  He did what he was paid to do....and he did it fairly effectively.    

10 minutes ago, disaacs said:

He's basically the spokesperson for the NFL Owners.  He does their bidding.  He can only do what they give him the power to do.

I think most people are aware that Goodell isnt some all powerful overlord of the NFL and that the owners have a good amount of the power.

But lets not act like he doesnt have power or authority.    Im not going to pretend to know how good of a commish Taglibue was throughout his run, but I dont recall as many outrageously poor decisions by the league office during his tenure...although maybe there was, I dont know.

My real question is....is Goodell a complete "yes" man, or is he just incompetent?   

Either way, its bad for business.

10 minutes ago, disaacs said:

As far as the damage he's done, he really hasn't done any damage to his relationship with the owners or the game...his major damage is the relationship with the players and their union.  But, I'd argue that it's not his fault, it's the players' union's fault.  He's an attorney, so he knows contract law...like many attorneys, he's going to maximize the real-life practice to the fullest extent of the law that he can.  But, by doing so, he's going to step on some toes...which he did with the players union.  But, they gave him that authority, which I said was a tremendous mistake at the time.  So, the fallout was not surprising to me.  Maybe he should have taken the bigger picture view and seen the future ramifications of his stances, but that isn't what he was being paid to do.  He did what he was paid to do....and he did it fairly effectively.    

I can agree with parts of this....not all of it.

The trajectory in popularity of the NFL was pointing way up when Goodell took over.     The NFL wouldve gotten to the heights it got to with or without Goodell.

The current future outlook of the NFL isnt as bright as it once was, and I think a big part of that has to do with some of the changes and non-changes during the Goodell era.   Again, is it all on him?   No, but its happened under his supposed authority.      If he is just a mouthpiece for the owners, then alot of the backlash he gets is still justified, because its backlash towards whoever is making alot of these terrible decisions....and thats him and the people he represents.   

Tags' major flaw was that he allowed thuggery to happen throughout the NFL and also was one of the primary people in the concussion coverup.  However, he did a lot more good than bad in his tenure.  He began the international expansion talk, brought the league to 32 teams, had a fairly harmonious relationship with the player's union, and most of the new stadiums were built under his tenure.  He certainly wasn't perfect, but Goodell has reaped a lot of what Tags' sowed.     

On 12/13/2017 at 1:17 PM, domepatrol91 said:

Say what now?

Edit: Figured it out.

Maybe slow down a bit. Between your spelling error in the title and lack of source or link, this thread had a rough start.

Jeez someone's rude :'(

On 12/13/2017 at 7:00 PM, H2ThaIzzo said:

I want whoever will be their own person and not a Roger puppet replacement. I want someone who won't be obsessed with total power as Roger has been. What concerns me about current NFL guys is that they all seem to back Roger no matter what. 

Well, what you want matters very little to the owners.  I kind of wish fans would process that.  They know you'll keep coming back for your fix.  And as much as people threaten to quit the product (no, the "ratings drop" is no indicative that this is happening, rather it's indicative that the methods for accurately and appropriately measuring ratings in the modern technological age are outdated and ineffective), the stark majority won't.

Roger is what the owners want him to be.  I find it truly funny that people can read a number of the behind-the-scenes comments attributed to Jerry Richardson that came to light in the recent expose (specifically those regarding the last CBA's talks and the lead-up) and think that all the "power-hungry/power-grab" stuff is wholly on Goodell.  Then again, a lot of those same people still seem to think that Goodell is sitting on the Rules Committee and the one making up all these unpopular rules, so I shouldn't really be surprised.

Archived