NFLMock Offseason Prediction

Ghostnote

Free Agents:

Kirk Cousins - Transition Tag - It’s 28M. If a team really wants him, they are going to have to pay and give us the option to match. 

Terrelle Pryor - Walk - This is not the D-Leagues. 

Spencer Long - Sign - Versatility goes a long way. 

Will Compton - Walk - Nothing special. Not a starter anywhere.

Mason Foster - Walk - His comments have pushed him outside of this roster. 

Shaun Lauvao - Walk - Time is up for marginal play. 

Bashaud Breeland - Sign - Ill get to this in a minute. 

Zach Brown - Sign - Best ILB we have had since Fletcher. 

Niles Paul - Walk - I get ST’s play, but that’s about it. 

DeAngelo Hall - Retire - It’s about time. 

Trent Murphy - Sign - Coming off injury in a contract year, means should be cheap. 

Junior Gallette - Walk - No production. 

Arthur Jones - Sign - DL depth is always good. 

Chris Carter - Walk - Dont know this guy and don’t care. 

Phil Taylor - Sign - Had some promise at least to play in the middle. 

Brian Quick - Walk - Keep him on the short list of capable guys in case of injury. 

Ryan Grant - Sign - Jay Gruden;s son has to be on the team. 

Dustin Hopkins - Sign (Comepetition with Nick Rose)

Kirk Cousins gets an offer from the Jacksonville Jaguars for 5 years / $150 with $75M Guaranteed. After the LA game, I just have not see any will to want to be here after that game. Redskins do not match. 

Josh Norman elects to opt out of his contract. Signs with the Atlanta Falcons. 

Washington signs Jonathan Cooper away from the Cowboys for 4 years / 25M with 12M guaranteed. 

Washington signs Sheldon Richardson, DT for 4 years / 27M  with 13.5M Guaranteed. 

Washington signs Paul Richardson, WR for 5 years / 32M with 14M Guaranteed. 

Washington Signs Seantral Henderson, RT for 2 years / 3M with 1M Signing 

Washington Signs Billy Turner, RG for 2 years / 4M with 1M Signing

Washington Signs Antone Exum, S, for 2 years 2.5M with 500K Signing

NFL Draft - Current Pick 11

Round 1 - Derrius Guice, RB, LSU - Yes, a RB. Samaje Perone and Rob Kelley are not the bell cows this team is looking for. Perone is likely to be short yardage and goaline back with Thompson the passing down guy. But Guice will be a factor in the offense . If the offensive line can stay healthy, he is arguably a 1000 yard rusher. 

Round 2 - Clayton Thorson, QB, Northwestern - This will be the future QB of the Redskins so long as this FO doesn’t screw it up. Colt McCoy will play or be the projected starter at first with Thorson to learn the offense and eventually take over. Josh Allen is another option here, but with so many teams needing QB’s and the value being spread out, the first round may not lend itself to adding the high level guys. 

Round 3 - Tremaine Edmunds, LB, Virginia Tech - The inside positions need to be beefed up with quality talent. With Zach Brown signed, we need another guy that can play in coverage or at least be sound in tackling. Edmunds might be that guy. 

Round 4 - Hayden Hurst, TE, South Carolina - With the injuries to Jordan Reed and Vernon Davis aging, the only TE left on the roster is Jeremy Sprinkle. With him being unproven, the Redskins could certainly add more depth to the position to take over for Reed and Davis when they depart. 

Round 5 - Allen Lazard, WR, Iowa State - 6’5, 230 lbs and knows how to use it. Solid player that can catch the football. Needs some work on route running but a solid replacement for Pryor and potential #2 on the outside. 

Round 6 - R.J. McIntosh, DE, Miami (FL) - Defensive line depth considering the injuries that plague us. 

Round 7 - Tegray Scales, LB, Indiana - Depth at ILB and potential development starter. 

Round 7 - Sean Chandler, CB, Temple - Depth and ST’s play desperately needed. 

QB - McCoy / Thorson / UDFA

RB - Guice / Perine / Thompson / Marshall

TE - Reed / Davis / Hurst./ Sprinkle

WR - Doctson, Richardson, Crowder, Grant, Lazard

LT - Williams, Nsekhe

LG - Cooper / Long

C - Roullier / Long

RG - Scherff / Turner

RT - Moses / Henderson

DE - Allen / Jones

DT Ioannidis / Taylor

DE Hood / McIntosh

EDGE - Kerrigan, Murphy

ILB - Brown / Scales

ILB - Edmunds / Vigil

EDGE - Smith / Anderson

CB - Breeland, Holsey

NB - Moreau

S - Nicholson / Everett

S - Swearinger / Exum

CB - Fuller, Dunbar, Chandler

LS - Sundberg

P - Way

K - Hopkins

Ultimately, the Redskins have no clue on what they need to do with Cousins, and that is going to get them in the worst trouble. He looked absolutely done after the loss to the Chargers and I can believe that he has checked out mentally. Nothing to play for except money. I understand that the Redskins are likely not to use the franchise tag considering the cost at $34M, and I honestly hope they surprise me with a contract near 27-28M. If they cant do anything, they will likely do the transition tag just to say that they wanted him, but he wouldn’t come to terms and another team was willing to overpay for him. 

If the choice to have Mayfield on the roster vs. Guice, I have to believe the choice will be Mayfield. But I am under the assumption that Mayfield will go in the top 10. And if that’s the case, I can’t see the consolation being Darnold or Allen. 

Anyway, rip it apart. 

The only guy’s I’m not re-signing are Pryor - who would have thunk it! I was so excited about his signing - Foster and Compton.

The rest of those aren’t going to be expensive to re-sign, I don’t see the harm in re-signing them to come in and compete.

Instead of Paul Richardson, I’d rather give Allen Robinson a 1 year prove it deal like Alshon Jeffery and Pryor got. Hopefully, Robinson plays like Jeffery for us next year and we re-sign him long term during the season.

The rest, I like what you did. I have no issues with the draft or free agency.

34 minutes ago, mike23md said:

Kirk Cousins - Transition Tag - It’s 28M. If a team really wants him, they are going to have to pay and give us the option to match. 

Terrelle Pryor - Walk - This is not the D-Leagues. 

Agreed.

34 minutes ago, mike23md said:

Spencer Long - Sign - Versatility goes a long way.

Would depend on the price IMO.

35 minutes ago, mike23md said:

Will Compton - Walk - Nothing special. Not a starter anywhere.

Mason Foster - Walk - His comments have pushed him outside of this roster. 

I'd be willing to bring Foster back on the cheap, but I agree that he won't come back if Brucey boy is still around.  

36 minutes ago, mike23md said:

Shaun Lauvao - Walk - Time is up for marginal play. 

If he were willing to take a significantly reduced salary I would bring him back.  I wouldn't guarantee him a starting position.  

37 minutes ago, mike23md said:

Bashaud Breeland - Sign - Ill get to this in a minute.

Dude got benched this week for being lazy in practice.  In a contract year.  Once he gets paid I think he'll be even worse.  Let Breeland become someone else's problem, I think he's spent his best years as a pro with us already.  I think he's all downhill from here.

39 minutes ago, mike23md said:

Zach Brown - Sign - Best ILB we have had since Fletcher. 

Agreed.

39 minutes ago, mike23md said:

Niles Paul - Walk - I get ST’s play, but that’s about it.

Please god let this finally happen.  I will dance a jig when this guy is off the roster.  

40 minutes ago, mike23md said:

DeAngelo Hall - Retire - It’s about time. 

Trent Murphy - Sign - Coming off injury in a contract year, means should be cheap. 

Junior Gallette - Walk - No production. 

Agreed.

40 minutes ago, mike23md said:

Arthur Jones - Sign - DL depth is always good. 

If vet min why not.  Otherwise no.  

41 minutes ago, mike23md said:

Phil Taylor - Sign - Had some promise at least to play in the middle. 

Same as Jones.

41 minutes ago, mike23md said:

Brian Quick - Walk - Keep him on the short list of capable guys in case of injury. 

Ryan Grant - Sign - Jay Gruden;s son has to be on the team. 

Dustin Hopkins - Sign (Comepetition with Nick Rose)

Agreed.  I'm not willing to pay Grant very much much though.  

42 minutes ago, mike23md said:

Kirk Cousins gets an offer from the Jacksonville Jaguars for 5 years / $150 with $75M Guaranteed. After the LA game, I just have not see any will to want to be here after that game. Redskins do not match. 

You absolutely have to match this deal.  I disagree with you here.  

42 minutes ago, mike23md said:

Josh Norman elects to opt out of his contract. Signs with the Atlanta Falcons.

Disagree again, Norman to Breeland covering #1s is a huge dropoff IMO.

43 minutes ago, mike23md said:

Washington signs Jonathan Cooper away from the Cowboys for 4 years / 25M with 12M guaranteed. 

Has he been good this year?  I haven't been paying attention.  I'd probably be against this signing.  Also, if we retained Cousins we probably couldn't afford it (I know you didn't retain Cousins).  

44 minutes ago, mike23md said:

Washington signs Sheldon Richardson, DT for 4 years / 27M  with 13.5M Guaranteed. 

I think he signs for a LOT more than this.  Also, he's gonna want to start.  I kind of like Allen and Ioannidis starting.  I probably wouldn't target an expensive DE in free agency.  

46 minutes ago, mike23md said:

Washington signs Paul Richardson, WR for 5 years / 32M with 14M Guaranteed. 

I'd be curious to see what he could do with Cousins.  I neither love or hate this signing.  

47 minutes ago, mike23md said:

Washington Signs Seantral Henderson, RT for 2 years / 3M with 1M Signing 

Washington Signs Billy Turner, RG for 2 years / 4M with 1M Signing

I guess you're trying to fill out the Oline depth here?  Looking at your draft you didn't take any so I guess you addressed it here.  I have nothing wrong with these guys, they seem like fine depth to me.  

48 minutes ago, mike23md said:

Washington Signs Antone Exum, S, for 2 years 2.5M with 500K Signing

This is a solid signing IMO, but is he willing to not start?  I like the Swearinger/Nicholson combo we've got going.  

49 minutes ago, mike23md said:

Round 1 - Derrius Guice, RB, LSU - Yes, a RB. Samaje Perone and Rob Kelley are not the bell cows this team is looking for. Perone is likely to be short yardage and goaline back with Thompson the passing down guy. But Guice will be a factor in the offense . If the offensive line can stay healthy, he is arguably a 1000 yard rusher. 

Round 2 - Clayton Thorson, QB, Northwestern - This will be the future QB of the Redskins so long as this FO doesn’t screw it up. Colt McCoy will play or be the projected starter at first with Thorson to learn the offense and eventually take over. Josh Allen is another option here, but with so many teams needing QB’s and the value being spread out, the first round may not lend itself to adding the high level guys. 

Round 3 - Tremaine Edmunds, LB, Virginia Tech - The inside positions need to be beefed up with quality talent. With Zach Brown signed, we need another guy that can play in coverage or at least be sound in tackling. Edmunds might be that guy. 

Round 4 - Hayden Hurst, TE, South Carolina - With the injuries to Jordan Reed and Vernon Davis aging, the only TE left on the roster is Jeremy Sprinkle. With him being unproven, the Redskins could certainly add more depth to the position to take over for Reed and Davis when they depart. 

Round 5 - Allen Lazard, WR, Iowa State - 6’5, 230 lbs and knows how to use it. Solid player that can catch the football. Needs some work on route running but a solid replacement for Pryor and potential #2 on the outside. 

Round 6 - R.J. McIntosh, DE, Miami (FL) - Defensive line depth considering the injuries that plague us. 

Round 7 - Tegray Scales, LB, Indiana - Depth at ILB and potential development starter. 

Round 7 - Sean Chandler, CB, Temple - Depth and ST’s play desperately needed. 

I wouldn't hate the Guice pick.  I know going RB in Round 1 is like a positional value disaster, but I just enjoy watching old school pound the run football.  So if getting us a stud RB could bring that back I'd be all for it.  I understand why you had to go QB in Round 2, but meh.  Round 3, I'm pretty much anti all things VT as a UVA fan.  I honestly know nothing about Edmunds though.  TE makes a lot of sense in the 4th.  Rest of the guys seem like solid depth.  

1 minute ago, Thaiphoon said:

I'll chime in later on this but I think I would actually offer Gallette a low $ deal to stay. He's not had the sacks that Preston has had, but he has pressured the QB at a higher rate.

When Preston Smith is your measuring stick, you’re not very good.

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

When Preston Smith is your measuring stick, you’re not very good.

Yes. But if I'm choosing between either, I'll take Junior as I think he's more effective per snap. Obviously Preston is cheaper on the rookie deal. But since we have Kerrigan and Smith and not much else at OLB (don't get me started on Anderson), I think we should sign Gallette

Just now, Thaiphoon said:

Yes. But if I'm choosing between either, I'll take Junior as I think he's more effective per snap. Obviously Preston is cheaper on the rookie deal. But since we have Kerrigan and Smith and not much else at OLB (don't get me started on Anderson), I think we should sign Gallette

Ok so we’re in agreement that Preston Smith shouldn’t be starting right?  Galette has had more pressures than a backup level OLB, he’s aging, completely worthless against the run and he’s a free agent.  Anderson has shown nothing.  Where in that list of 3 is a starting OLB?  Retaining Galette doesn’t give us a starting OLB.

Smith and Anderson are both on rookie deals.  Kerrigan is set at LoLB.  So the target should be a 4th OLB that’s a starter.  

Just now, MKnight82 said:

Ok so we’re in agreement that Preston Smith shouldn’t be starting right?  Galette has had more pressures than a backup level OLB, he’s aging, completely worthless against the run and he’s a free agent.  Anderson has shown nothing.  Where in that list of 3 is a starting OLB?  Retaining Galette doesn’t give us a starting OLB.

Smith and Anderson are both on rookie deals.  Kerrigan is set at LoLB.  So the target should be a 4th OLB that’s a starter.  

Show me where I said we'd stand pat with Kerrigan, Smith and Gallette and not seek to add young playmakers via FA or draft.

12 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Show me where I said we'd stand pat with Kerrigan, Smith and Gallette and not seek to add young playmakers via FA or draft.

So you're gonna do what?  Trade Preston Smith?  If you retain Galette and Smith Anderson will never see the field (and he needs to start getting reps).

Just now, MKnight82 said:

So you're gonna do what?  Trade Preston Smith?  If you retain Galette and Smith Anderson will never see the field (and he needs to start getting reps).

You sign Gallette. And over the offseason you see if Smith or Anderson improve. And if Gallette is odd man out in preseason, you cut him. Again, signing him to a low $ deal is not going to kill us. And it won't necessarily prevent us from playing Smith or Anderson if they improve

Just now, Thaiphoon said:

You sign Gallette. And over the offseason you see if Smith or Anderson improve. And if Gallette is odd man out in preseason, you cut him. Again, signing him to a low $ deal is not going to kill us. And it won't necessarily prevent us from playing Smith or Anderson if they improve

I'd rather give those practice reps to a young LBer that could contribute to special teams. 

I could certainly entertain adding a solid Edge rusher its a possibility. I think this coaching staff is satisfied with Smith and I dont think there will be any depth added that will likely oust him. If Cousins walks, I would hope that a top talent lands in our lap at QB. 

13 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

I'd rather give those practice reps to a young LBer that could contribute to special teams. 

Anderson is the young OLB who contributes on special teams and then we have 2 back up ILBs who contribute on special teams and if we re-sign Murphy for cheap, he can play special teams.

With Allen & Ioannidis healthy, they push the pocket/beat their interior OL and the Qb can’t step up. That’s why Smith was off to such a hot start, they’re the key. With our best interior DL healthy, Smith was getting a Sack a game and multiple pressures a game. I’m sure the coaching staff knows this, I think they’d be looking to upgrade other positions rather taking a 5th OLB in round 1 or 2 in the last 7 years.

At some point you have to address other positions high in the draft, even if your edge pass rushers are only good and not great, let alone elite.

Since we are likely to pick in the top 10 now - if we keep Cousins - we could very well be looking to draft Calvin Ridley. You put a guy like that opposite a guy like Doctson and you’re talking about a top 5 of passing offenses in the NFL again after just one season of dropping back to the 8 to 10 range. Of course, if Cousins is gone we’d probably go from top 10 back to the middle of the pack even with McCoy or our rookie qb throwing to Crowder, Doctson, VDavis, Reed, Ridley and Thompson.

5 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Anderson is the young OLB who contributes on special teams and then we have 2 back up ILBs who contribute on special teams and if we re-sign Murphy for cheap, he can play special teams.

With Allen & Ioannidis healthy, they push the pocket/beat their interior OL and the Qb can’t step up. That’s why Smith was off to such a hot start, they’re the key. With our best interior DL healthy, Smith was getting a Sack a game and multiple pressures a game. I’m sure the coaching staff knows this, I think they’d be looking to upgrade other positions rather taking a 5th OLB in round 1 or 2 in the last 7 years.

At some point you have to address other positions high in the draft, even if your edge pass rushers are only good and not great, let alone elite.

Since we are likely to pick in the top 10 now - if we keep Cousins - we could very well be looking to draft Calvin Ridley. You put a guy like that opposite a guy like Doctson and you’re talking about a top 5 of passing offenses in the NFL again after just one season of dropping back to the 8 to 10 range. Of course, if Cousins is gone we’d probably go from top 10 back to the middle of the pack even with McCoy or our rookie qb throwing to Crowder, Doctson, VDavis, Reed, Ridley and Thompson.

Except we only have one good edge rusher.

Archived