Can a backup QB win a Super Bowl in this era?

Can a backup QB win a Super Bowl in this era?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Can a backup QB win a Super Bowl in this era?

• Yes
    • No

8 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Depends on the backup and the team. So, yes. 

This is basically all that needs to be said.

Nick Foles and Case Keenum both have the kind of teams around that could cover up some of their shortcomings.   As long as they can make some key throws at crucial times, not make the big mistakes and not choke under pressure....sure.   Those are alot to ask of a backup, though.

However, If Russell Wilson, Tom Brady or Ben Roethlisberger went down, I couldnt see any of their respective teams winning it all....mainly because the offenses are completely built around them and depend on them too much.

Depends on how you define backup. If we are talking career backups, guys who were never able to become starters or had their chance and blew it like say a Nick Foles, then yeah its unlikely.

But if we are talking young guys who were drafted lower and were brought in behind secured starters like Brady or Steve Young, then yeah I would say that there is a good chance they can win a SB.

Yes it's possible, especially considering Foles is a pretty damn good backup. Much better than zombie Peyton Manning that won with the Broncos.

Does it hurt the Eagles chances? Absolutely. But if the Eagles can hold onto the #1 seed (which is very possible given the schedule they have left), I think they have just as good a chance as anyone to make it out of the NFC.

4 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

Depends what u define as a backup cuz some teams starters i would call backups

Great point. In the context of the original question, it's simply seen as any QB that was not the opening day starter for a team.

1 hour ago, 808 said:

Great point. In the context of the original question, it's simply seen as any QB that was not the opening day starter for a team.

Yeah. Well obviously a backup that turns out to be a HOF QB like Tom Brady or Terry Bradshaw can win a SB.

I think the better question is that can an average to mediocre QB win this SB? And my answer is yes, especially if his team can get HFA throughout the playoffs like the Eagles possibly can.

On 12/13/2017 at 1:37 PM, 808 said:

7 times in NFL history, a backup quarterback relieved a starter and went on to win a Super Bowl in the same season.

Roger Staubach, 1971 Cowboys (Craig Morton) Week 4

Terry Bradshaw, 1974 Steelers (Joe Gilliam) Week 7

Jim Plunkett, 1980 Raiders (Dan Pastorini) Week 6

Jeff Hostetler, 1990 Giants (Phil Sims) Week 16

Kurt Warner, 1999 Rams (Trent Green) Week 1

Trent Dilfer, 2000 Ravens (Tony Banks) Week 9

Tom Brady, 2001 Patriots (Drew Bledsoe) Week 3

Is it realistically possible we could see this occurrence happen again in our current era?

The vast majority of these were in a bit of a transition period for the NFL. Also Staubach, Bradshaw, and Brady were basically young guys who showed promise and were likely going to transition to being starters and both were in the HOF. Warner was a HOF caliber talent looking for an opportunity. Plunkett went on to have a good career. 

Hostetler and Dilfer are the only traditional back ups on that list. Both were backed up by incredible defenses.

26 minutes ago, lancerman said:

The vast majority of these were in a bit of a transition period for the NFL. Also Staubach, Bradshaw, and Brady were basically young guys who showed promise and were likely going to transition to being starters and both were in the HOF. Warner was a HOF caliber talent looking for an opportunity. Plunkett went on to have a good career. 

Hostetler and Dilfer are the only traditional back ups on that list. Both were backed up by incredible defenses.

I would argue that Foles is a step above both though in terms of skill.

Sure. Why couldn't one? I don't see any good arguments against it. 

I'm not sure any of the CURRENT backups who appear headed for the playoffs could pull it off, but I'm sure we'll see another instance of a QB emerging like that in the not-too-distant future.

19 minutes ago, Bolts223 said:

I would argue that Foles is a step above both though in terms of skill.

Yeah but would argue the supporting cast that put those two over the top was superior. Specifically the defense. Could Foles do it? Yeah. Is he likely too? He'd have to get past a lot of good teams and then take on probably either the Steelers or Patriots.

4 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Yeah but would argue the supporting cast that put those two over the top was superior. Specifically the defense. Could Foles do it? Yeah. Is he likely too? He'd have to get past a lot of good teams and then take on probably either the Steelers or Patriots.

True. But both the Ravens and Giants had to win road games in their postseasons to reach the SB. (Ravens had to win 2)

The Eagles are still very likely to get HFA all the way throughout the NFC playoffs.

Archived