Can a backup QB win a Super Bowl in this era?

Can a backup QB win a Super Bowl in this era?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Can a backup QB win a Super Bowl in this era?

• Yes
    • No

Just now, Bolts223 said:

True. But both the Ravens and Giants had to win road games in their postseasons to reach the SB. (Ravens had to win 2)

The Eagles are still very likely to get HFA all the way throughout the NFC playoffs.

Possibly, but the thing is the Ravens and Giants weren't where they were because of great QB play. The Eagles in large part were. So you are taking away a major strength from them to start. Where you could legitimately say, okay Dilfer and Hostetler weren't great, but they weren't asking those guys to win games for them. 

2 hours ago, lancerman said:
2 hours ago, Bolts223 said:

True. But both the Ravens and Giants had to win road games in their postseasons to reach the SB. (Ravens had to win 2)

The Eagles are still very likely to get HFA all the way throughout the NFC playoffs.

Possibly, but the thing is the Ravens and Giants weren't where they were because of great QB play. The Eagles in large part were. So you are taking away a major strength from them to start. Where you could legitimately say, okay Dilfer and Hostetler weren't great, but they weren't asking those guys to win games for them. 

I agree Wentz's MVP level play absolutely put the Eagles where they are in the Standings however let's not forget the Eagles also have a top 5 Rushing Attack, Top 5 OL, Top 5 DL/Defense pts allowed. Foles too might not be asked to carry the team on his back like Hostetler and Dilfer. Just saying.

Is it possible Yes. Is it probable, No. 7x out of 50 suggests that!

Say what you want, Peyton was a shell of himself when Denver won the SB because of their defense and not much more than an average backup QB. If he could win a SB, then it is always possible a superb defense can carry another team to a SB win with a backup QB at its helm. The very definition of a backup QB, is that he can have an outstanding game or 2, but cannot carry a team for a whole season that relies on his passing.

So, a backup QB who comes in near the end of the season, can put up a great game here and there and is certainly capable of surprising on SB day!!!

On 12/13/2017 at 7:29 PM, Danger said:

I'll say what I've said before. This doesn't kill the season for the Eagles, it just puts a major hurdle and makes the road much more difficult. If you want a probability for us winning it all from my estimates-

With Wentz: 25-30% chance to win the Super Bowl
With Foles: 8-10% chance to win the Super Bowl

I know you all must think I'm optimistic, but we still do have a good team. I believe Nick is better than his time in St. Louis (and Jeff Fisher) would indicate. Is he actually that same guy who threw 27 TD and 2 INT? Hell no, but there's a very good chance he's the best back-up in the league at this time, and that's exactly why Howie Roseman brought him in. I want to see how he performs and I'll adjust my thinking accordingly. In part its a good thing the NFC is so good this year because it requires us to put Foles out there and play to win, we can test ourselves and learn from any bumps with this new crucial COG in the machine, even if it's a replacement we can adapt it to work to the best our abilities rather than just putting in last second.

I think you were vastly overestimating the Eagles chances. There will be 12 playoffs team. Assuming a 1 in 12 chance, that's an 8.3% chance of winning a Super Bowl. Even assuming the Eagles were a favorite with Wentz, I don't think you could realistically say they had more than a 17% chance (double an average playoff team).

Now, I think a 5% chance is probably accurate. Even assuming that Foles is better than what he showed with the Rams and worse than his great year with the Eagles, you're left with his 2014 season. That Foles was a fringe starter due to his tendency to turn the ball over. He's a great backup to have, but he's not the guy you want to rely on in the playoffs.

On 12/13/2017 at 7:57 PM, JustAnotherFan said:

People, if the Rams can become a top 5 offense and the Jaguars can become a top team in the NFL within the same year then anything is possible.

Sorry Rams and Jags fans.

I'm not sure why we'd take offense. It's a compliment. None of us thought we'd have a top 5 offense anytime soon either. Our GM didn't even believe that (he told McVay after we hired him that he'd be doing a great job if he could get the offense up to around 16th this year).

31 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I think you were vastly overestimating the Eagles chances. There will be 12 playoffs team. Assuming a 1 in 12 chance, that's an 8.3% chance of winning a Super Bowl. Even assuming the Eagles were a favorite with Wentz, I don't think you could realistically say they had more than a 17% chance (double an average playoff team).

Now, I think a 5% chance is probably accurate. Even assuming that Foles is better than what he showed with the Rams and worse than his great year with the Eagles, you're left with his 2014 season. That Foles was a fringe starter due to his tendency to turn the ball over. He's a great backup to have, but he's not the guy you want to rely on in the playoffs.

Your 1 in 12 logic is faulty. The Eagles will have a first round bye. If you assume they have a 50% chance to win any game, with 3 games needed to win it all you'd actually have a 12.5% chance.

I still think Foles is vastly better than anything he showed in St. Louis, but only time will tell.

1 minute ago, Danger said:

Your 1 in 12 logic is faulty. The Eagles will have a first round bye. If you assume they have a 50% chance to win any game, with 3 games needed to win it all you'd actually have a 12.5% chance.

I still think Foles is vastly better than anything he showed in St. Louis, but only time will tell.

Even if we take the bye into consideration, your percentages were still more than generous. 

It doesn't matter if he was better than what he showed with the Rams. If he's the same Foles from two of his three years in Philly, he's going to limit that team. Wentz accounted for a significant percentage of your offensive TDs.

On 12/13/2017 at 6:17 PM, MathMan said:

Brady was definitely a backup to Bledsoe.

EDIT: I see what you are saying, Brady was a backup early in the season (I think 5th game), so he doesn't really qualify because he was a main part of the reason for NE to go to the playoffs.

No, you're right.  That brings the total to 3.

On 12/13/2017 at 11:12 PM, Iamcanadian said:

They already have. Peyton was a shell of his former self when Denver won the SB, he wasn't much more that a backup QB with what he had left in the tank. All they asked of him, was to not turn the ball over.

He had more in game,first hand, under center  ability  and knowledge  than any back up. Whether you think his arm was bad or not,he still changed plays at the line that game that no back up would have dreamed doing.His first pass in the SB was not that of a back up asked to not screw up. 

Archived