Which HC hire are you most and least impressed by?

notthatbluestuff

The new guys:

Atlanta Falcons - Raheem Morris
Carolina Panthers - Dave Canales
Las Vegas Raiders - Antonio Pierce
Los Angeles Chargers - Jim Harbaugh
New England Patriots - Jerod Mayo
Seattle Seahawks - Mike Macdonald
Tennessee Titans - Brian Callahan
Washington Commanders - Dan Quinn

In this order 

Los Angeles Chargers - Jim Harbaugh

Seattle Seahawks - Mike Macdonald

Carolina Panthers - Dave Canales

Tennessee Titans - Brian Callahan

Las Vegas Raiders - Antonio Pierce

Washington Commanders - Dan Quinn

Atlanta Falcons - Raheem Morris

New England Patriots - Jerod Mayo

Answer to both most and least impressed is Antonio Pierce. Probably the worst candidate for any other organization and thus least impressive, but 100% the correct hire for our organization and a perfect culture fit and I'm impressed Mark Davis went for it instead of going for one of the older great coaches like Bill or Harbaugh.

• Like 3

Most impressed- Mike Macdonald is a great defensive mind, and shut down the big name offenses this year.  Also while digging for information on him, I was highly impressed and was hoping he would make it to Washington.  

Honorable mention for that goes to Dave Canales.  I think turning Baker into a solid, above average QB was fantastic work.  But this hire is tempered by him going to the Carolina Panthers and for a meddling owner on par with Daniel Snyder in Tepper 

Least impressed- Jim Harbaugh.  San Diego is going to have 2.5 years of great success, and then 1.5 years of meh resulting in Harbaugh flaming out and going back to college or retiring.  If he can win the big one, it will be worth it, but the quagmire he left in his wake in San Francisco is a huge cautionary tale, and I wanted nothing to do with him.  

• Like 3

I am assuming context matters, because that definitely determines what constitutes impressiveness for me.

Washington hiring Quinn has to be at the bottom.  Ben Johnson seemed like the guy for a while, and then when that fell through, they went with Dann Quinn.  Hugely disappointing to go with a retread defensive HC after that.  Especially because it seemed like they should have been an appealing job.

Most impressive is probably Canales, because I really didn't think anyone would want that job and the whole search process would be a joke.

Harbaugh was obviously the top candidate, and the most appealing destination got him.  Nothing particularly impressive about that.

Seattle got a good hire, but that's his best fit as a defensive guy, so it's probably the second most impressive.  I guess.

18 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Least impressed- Jim Harbaugh.  San Diego is going to have 2.5 years of great success, and then 1.5 years of meh resulting in Harbaugh flaming out and going back to college or retiring.  If he can win the big one, it will be worth it, but the quagmire he left in his wake in San Francisco is a huge cautionary tale, and I wanted nothing to do with him.  

Yeah, but that's not just on Harbs. Trent Baalke, who has had a history of spotty relationships in the past as well...definitely responsible for some of the mess the 49ers found themselves in post 2014

That was definitely a situation where two guys made that substantially more of a disaster than if it were just one them being hard to deal with. 

Also, I'd argue that the wave of retirements and whatnot really crippled the team just from a talent perspective which exacerbated the fallout 

• Like 3

least impressed: Jim Harbaugh. Why? was just convenient for both. Jim is avoiding NCAA discipline, he has lived in California most of his life where Chargers are based, franchise QB is already and Jim has an offensive philosophy that is traditionally conservative with QB’s, Chargers ownership has a reputation for being cheap and choosing the path of least resistance and so this seems like a match made in heaven that both sides defaulted to, too easily where maybe it just isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. Not an awful hire just least impressive to me.

second least impressive: jerod mayo. just hiring a guy because you have a condiment for a last name like the owner and are a young, former player that makes up nicknames for people and won the owner over on a trip to Isreal years ago shouldn’t take precedence over hiring process and experience. mayo is basically a mascot at this point in time with extra testosterone. i think the krafts just wanted to execute a move to say they were the first to do it and show they were better at sniffing their farts to circumvent the rules than the other owners by avoiding the Rooney rule. whatever. it takes balls at least in some way to do something so divisive to the fanbase after firing belichick that it gets at least some points for being not completely boring. and it was the first hire so competitively speaking it means that your hypothetically getting a head start on the process of hiring other key people (but look at the uninspiring results thats yielded so far…) I will also say from a positive side of things the krafts have an okay track record hiring head coaches so they get one pass for benefit of the doubt here. and mayo is a deciple of bill’s only which is scary in and of itself in many ways since it is supposed to be a major regime change but mayo’s style is vastly different than belichicks and it allows a reset for the organization to retain some of its faculties and executive choices. mayo being a defensive guy also plays to the teams inherent strength right now and his familiarity and likability from those players is a positive and there is very little transition there.

most impressive: dave canales. why? because he is taken from a division rival that won a home playoff game and turned the career around of Baker Mayfield and Geno Smith while panthers QB Bryce Young enters year 2 in desperate need of a guy to turn him around. Canales is a “faith” driven person and the panthers owner is too so it’s a very good mix personality wise. I believe the panthers organization desperately needs to get this hire right or risk being potentially relocated in the future should fall into a non-lucrative, poorly marketed suck hole of hopeless losing.

In order:

Los Angeles Chargers - Jim Harbaugh = Got the perfect coach for their situation

New England Patriots - Jerod Mayo = got the best coach of the batch.

Carolina Panthers - Dave Canales = the best young QB developer

Seattle Seahawks - Mike Macdonald = The best defensive schemer of the batch

Atlanta Falcons - Raheem Morris = surprised they actually had the balls to admit their mistake of firing him in 2020.

Las Vegas Raiders - Antonio Pierce = Smart move

Tennessee Titans - Brian Callahan = I just wasn't super impressed with the idea of him

Washington Commanders - Dan Quinn = He deserves a second chance.

Honestly, all of the hires made sense this year. Quinn just the biggest "air out of your sails" one.

• Like 1