Do you think Justin Fields can still become a franchise QB?

RaidersAreOne

Do you think Justin Fields can still become a franchise QB?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Justin Fields can still become a franchise QB?

• Yes
    • No

If this question is veering towards should the Raiders trade for him I say H3LL YEAH!

I think he would be alot of fun with a new head coach and new staff, make electric plays, and in VEGAS! Also he needs a security blanket and Adams is already in place.

I dont think he will ever be franchise though. He just is not clutch. Like I think he has the worse 4th quarter QB rating in the league

6 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

I think it's physically possible, but unlikely enough for me to say no. 

This.

If you had 32 Justin Fields and you put one with all 32 teams, under the right tutelage, with the staff dedicated to developing him and building around him - you’d probably find one that becomes a consistently good starter. I just questions Fields’ ability and don't see the stars aligning where that happens. 

I think he’ll continue starting for teams in a way that Fitzpatrick or did, as a guy that flirts with bad teams for most of his career.

• Like 1

I don't think there's any chance. He's 3 years in and still can't read defenses. I've watched a lot of his games and he looks lost out there far too often. The lack of progression is noticeable, there isn't a single facet of his game you can look at from year 1 to 3 and say he's improved substantially.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Sugashane said:

I think he can, but there are caveats.

Bears 100% screwed him. Pace drafted him in hopes of saving his own skin, I don't believe Nagy really wanted him to begin with and that caused a rift between them. So Fields got drafted by a guy and then had a coach who wanted Dalton all along. Nagy was a dead man walking and seemed to check out at the end, almost like he wanted to take Pace out the door with him (which I do appreciate actually). Then Fields gets Eberflus and Poles who already know they're completely dumping the roster to get younger and a better contract situation. They tank in 2022, works wonderfully with the 1.1 pick, get Moore and an haul and a metric ton of luck that eventually gets 1.1 for the 2024 year too. But Getsy wanted a more standard pocket passing scheme and even when he saw that Fields' legs are what make him electric, he shied away from it WAY too much. Even when he had great stretches of production, he would suddenly not even try to move the pocket or challenge with designed QB runs. Bizarre.

So he has three years of incompetent playcalling behind him, has had his *** kicked, and now has to enter the 4th year of his rookie deal to learn a new system, with an optional 5th that is unlikely to get picked up. Not ideal.

I think he needs to run a Greg Roman offense, his legs are his biggest asset and he can make some serious wow plays with his arm. But he needs a real OC to utilize his strengths, and to minimize his weaknesses. 1-2 reads, dump off, or run. Don't let him sit back there, he needs to get rid of the ball or be moving.  I don't believe he could ever produce like Jackson has with his arm but with a talented staff around him and a competent playcaller I think he absolutely can produce. Is it enough for me personally to want to extend him? No. But I think he could definitely put up points. The Bears defense had 3 collapses that together they had an 88% chance of winning all three, so the Bears should have been a 10 win team last year. That is with no passrush for the first half of the season (pre-Sweat trade) and with Getsy calling plays out of Madden 96.

I'd trade him and draft Williams, but even though he got absolutely shafted by Chicago he has been such an easy guy to root for. No complaints or drama, he'll fight for every play, and his teammate rave about him. I hope he has a solid 10+ year as a starting QB. I don't believe he will ever sniff being elite at anything besides rushing but man he can make some exciting plays.

I know blaming the Bears front office is always the easy thing to do, but does it not reflect poorly on Fields that his best asset since he's made it to the league has been his legs? I won't pretend like I watch a lot of college football but I don't remember the scouting report on him coming out of Ohio State saying he was a dual threat QB in the mold of Lamar.

47 minutes ago, StatKing said:

I know blaming the Bears front office is always the easy thing to do, but does it not reflect poorly on Fields that his best asset since he's made it to the league has been his legs? I won't pretend like I watch a lot of college football but I don't remember the scouting report on him coming out of Ohio State saying he was a dual threat QB in the mold of Lamar.

Best doesn't imply his other tools are insufficient. And legs doesn't mean simply as a rusher. Moving the pocket, extending plays, altering the launch point are all invaluable tools. He also has the arm to make any throw needed.

The difference between college and pro Fields is what is around him. At OSU he had elite talent around him, a consistently clean picket, and was able to take deep shots to utilize his plus arm. In Chocago he was thrown behind a garbage OL his first two years with SEC level talents at WR (did anyone ever fear Mooney, no way), and only this year did they have any talent for him to work with. In his starts the Bears averaged something like 24ppg, which would have ranked top 10. And that was while a large group of posters mocking how simple and predictable Getsy's playcalling was. I mean 3 screens to the middle of the field in back to back to back plays? Fields propped up Getsy, not the other way around.

Now Fields flubs too many easy throws, ones you never really saw him screw up when he was at OSU. Other than getting in his own head idk what happened there. But he absolutely has talent. But he isn't going to surgically dissect a defense regularly like Brady, Brees or Rodgers.

Edited by Sugashane
  • Like 3

No.  I don't think he can.

He's just not good enough as a passer for that.  He doesn't read the field well, he doesn't anticipate well, and that makes him a very limited threat from the pocket.  You aren't going to have a sustainable, "franchise QB" like that.

With that said, i do think that he could win some games for the right team in the right, ideally tailored situation.  Somewhere that stacks up a ton of weapons, and really gears the offense to letting him use the threat of his legs to take pressure off and simplify the reads and throws he's asked to make.  Think...Greg Roman with Kaepernick type thing.  But those types of offense tend to go "stale" pretty quickly.  So someone like Fields gives you a much smaller "window".  Unlike an actual Franchise QB that keeps the window open much longer, and often even through different offensive schemes/systems and even coaches.

Edited by Tugboat
  • Like 3

If he stays with the Bears, no.  If he gets traded, as I hope, I think he likely will if he lands with Pittsburgh or ATL.  I don't think he will ever evolve into a top tier passer, but he's got great leadership qualities, a beautiful deep ball, and obviously is an excellent runner.  In a scheme that is actually designed around his strengths with good players around him, I definitely think he can be successful.  

On 2/2/2024 at 11:07 AM, Phinsesq said:

Yes, teams are way too quick to give up on QBs give him a 3rd year. From what I have seen, I believe the talent is there. The Bears are in the position to get the number 1 pick because of how bad Carolina was not because of how bad Fields is. Admittedly, there is something to be said IF you think a “Caleb Williams” is a generational talent (that term is used entirely too often) then I understand making the switch and resetting that rookie contract timer. If the Bears can get a king’s ransom for that number 1 pick, plus their projected 60+ million in cap space, I think that puts them in a far better position for success moving forward with Fields.     

He already got a 3rd year. It would be his 4th.

On 2/2/2024 at 6:22 PM, mission27 said:

One million percent

Guaranteed?  No.  But he is as talented as anyone and he's a leader.  In the right system he could thrive. 

I would argue the opposite about his talent actually. He has little talent (relatively speaking) when it comes to the most important aspects of being a QB. Athleticism and talent aren’t the same IMO.

• Like 1

To me Fields still has the same issues in the NFL as he did in college. Sure he can run but his passing game has always had flaws. Still issues with reading defenses and progressions. People love to say it's all on his coaching but Zach Wilson who has had a worse situation doesn't get that benefit of the doubt. People are just too invested in their own pre-draft analysis and don't want to be wrong. 

But back on topic, I see Falcons wants wanting to give up multiple day 2 picks for him. My belief is that would be foolish.  Idk what the Falcons QBs plans are but if it revolves around Fields or another underwhelming vet. Morris won't last any longer then Smith did.