Best Defensiveback of all time, NOT named Deion Sanders...

mdonnelly21

99 members have voted

1. 1. Best Defensiveback of All Time Not Named Neon Deion.

• Ronnie Lott
    • Ed Reed
    • Troy Polamalu
    • Night Train Lane
    • Mel Blount
    • Charles Woodson
    • Rod Woodson
    • Darrelle Revis
    • Herb Adderley
    • Other

1 hour ago, stillersenat said:

Rod Woodson was better than Sanders.

Ooooooh...hmm. Hmm. Hmmmmm...

I have to think about this a bit. I'm not saying you're wrong, but...hmm, gotta think about it.

One name not on the list that deserves to be on the list - Darrell Green. From a pure cover perspective, don't think there were many better.

I went with Ronnie Lott, because he might be my favorite play of all time, simply because he had one of his digits cut off so he could play in the Super Bowl.  However, Rod Woodson would otherwise be my pick, because he was a HOF CB and Safety...and an absolute nemesis to my Broncos.  

My all- time (i.e. post-1970) secondary:

CB - Mel Blount, Deion Sanders

FS - Rod Woodson

SS - Ronnie Lott

Basically 4 shutdown corners, 3 of whom hit like sledgehammers

And the reason I say post 1970 is because I'm not comfortable ranking players before that as it becomes an exercise in stat sheet scouting for me

1 hour ago, BroncoSojia said:

I almost forgot. Mentioning Champ Bailey is like a bat signal for you. 

Which of the guys in the poll do you think he belongs over?  Only one I see an argument for is Revis, and that's only because of career length.

I have seen them all play and the separation between them is not worth mentioning as players. Pretty well equal IMO although a CB is rated way ahead of Safeties till the modern passing era. A safety today has to pass cover and is limited as an in the box type, who dominated the position, when running the ball dominated pro football.

A Cover CB is still rated in importance ahead of a Safety, even today, so you should really have CB's and Safeties in different categories.

On 12/14/2017 at 7:08 AM, EliteTexan80 said:

To add to this - Lott has been named All Pro at CB, FS and SS. 

He could shadow a #1 and take him out of the game, play deep FS and take away the long ball, play at the line and take away the short ball, and was like a LB in run support. 

He played in an era where you could take more liberties in coverage, I'll admit that - but his football IQ and physical tools would position him to do well in todays' era too.

Lott > Deion, IMO. 

That versatility is why I give it to Ronnie Lott.  Deion's lack of run support knocks him further down the list behind Rod Woodson and Mel Blount. 

Feel I should give more mention of Night Train Lane, as the best pre-SB DB.  Had size, extremely physical, durable, and a ballhawk who's single-season INT record hasn't had a serious challenger since 1980...he did that in 12 games.

Archived