Giants trade for Luck?

WheatieMan

Heard this floated around. Or do they have too many issues? They have the draft picks to make a deal, but.... o-line is a mess and aging defense.

Otherwise I think Odell is wasted and will be a FA by the time the QB they’d pick this year comes around. 

2 1sts and a 2nd would be fair value, then use your late round picks to build the O-line and D-line again.

I like Andrew Luck, but there has been some speculation about his shoulder moving forward.  It would be hard to justify taking on that contract and giving up a high draft pick.  He turns 29 next year, which isn't old for a QB, but he's not a pup anymore.  I think I'd rather take my chances with Darnold or Rosen.

Luck is no lock to be the old Luck.  If the surgery had gone well he’d be playing already not shut down for the RoS.  Normally it’s a great chance for recovery but everyone who has is playing by now.  This recovery setback is seen in baseball and there it’s a career death sentence 98 percent of the time when this happens.    That’s one huge red flag. 

Red flag #2 is that Luck went to Europe for treatment.  You don’t go to Europe unless it’s a treatment you can’t get here legally.  So either it’s Dutch hookers or it’s stem cells. I’m going with the latter lol.  Again though that’s another major flag.   You don’t need stem cell therapy if things are going well and it’s a desperation move to go that route.  

Red flag #3 is the contract Luck is owed.   If he was healthy no biggie but that’s an albatross if he’s damaged goods and the warning signs are huge here in that regard.

Then you throw in the fact the Giants can draft a QB like Darnold / Rosen at 1.2 cheaply and control them for 5 years given the above and only an idiot GM would even consider 1.2 / 2.2 for Luck let alone 2 firsts / seconds.    Take away the name and describe the situation (guy who hasn’t played for 1.5+ years, 1 season behind schedule, going for extra therapy and a big long term commitment) and you’d call that GM crazy.    No idea who the new GM will be but doubt he’s that crazy. 

I take all the above back if somehow Jeff Fisher blackmails his way to that position.  

1 minute ago, PapaShogun said:

Why would the Colts let him go unless he has a debilitating injury? 

They let Payton go with his neck injury - we saw how that shook out.

This being said, I'm thinking Luck has a pretty significant injury, but his sheer talent when healthy is something you take a risk on. 

I actually think Denver will make a call, trying to catch lightning in a bottle again. You know Elway would love to have the best QB prospect since him under center...

Just now, EliteTexan80 said:

They let Payton go with his neck injury - we saw how that shook out.

This being said, I'm thinking Luck has a pretty significant injury, but his sheer talent when healthy is something you take a risk on. 

I actually think Denver will make a call, trying to catch lightning in a bottle again. You know Elway would love to have the best QB prospect since him under center...

Well, they had Andrew Luck waiting for them in the draft. I think that was a big reason why they were going to let Peyton go. 

10 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Well, they had Andrew Luck waiting for them in the draft. I think that was a big reason why they were going to let Peyton go. 

No doubt that Luck played into the decision, but I have to think the possibility of two picks in the top 10 of this draft + future considerations in the 2019 and 2020 draft will get them to consider rolling with Jacoby Brissett with a stronger OL and run game.

If a new HC is in place, they'll evaluate what kind of team to work with. The division itself is much tougher to traverse through with a resurgent Jax unit, a Titans team that has components to compete and a Houston team returning two key components in Watt and Watson - competing with Luck and a cast of random characters at key positions is simply not an option if you're really looking to compete. 

From one situation with no running game and crappy offensive line play to another lol.

29, nearly 2 years removed from real-time play by the start of next season, coming off major surgery, and has a monster contract.

I find it very hard to see anyone wanting to take that situation on, regardless of his potential.

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

.  You don’t go to Europe unless it’s a treatment you can’t get here legally.  So either it’s Dutch hookers or it’s stem cells

Yes, yes, of course! My throwing shoulder has been bothering me for years, I'm willing to try anything at this point. Maybe I'll get ahold of Andrew and get an update on how his treatment went.......................... aaaaaaah, guess I'll just go anyway!

Colts shouldn't give up Luck for anything less than a 1st round pick. That's what they got him for and even with the injury you still have to view him as a franchise QB with lots of potential. 

Giants should not be trading their 1st round pick for a questionmark like Luck. The reality is he's worth more to the Colts than the Giants should pay. 

Archived