Giants trade for Luck?

WheatieMan

1 hour ago, WheatieMan said:

Heard this floated around. Or do they have too many issues? They have the draft picks to make a deal, but.... o-line is a mess and aging defense.

Otherwise I think Odell is wasted and will be a FA by the time the QB they’d pick this year comes around. 

2 1sts and a 2nd would be fair value, then use your late round picks to build the O-line and D-line again.

I think that would be great for the Colts and bad for the Giants. I think Luck is overrated personally.

6 hours ago, lancerman said:

Colts shouldn't give up Luck for anything less than a 1st round pick. That's what they got him for and even with the injury you still have to view him as a franchise QB with lots of potential. 

Giants should not be trading their 1st round pick for a questionmark like Luck. The reality is he's worth more to the Colts than the Giants should pay. 

Came in to basically say this.

It is always the doctor's call on how fit a player is. If Indy's doctors say he can return 100% to his former self, do you really think they would attempt to trade him, very, very doubtful.

If they say he cannot ever return to be a 100% of what he was, do you think the Giant's doctors would OK his health, which is always necessary for a trade to go through. He would have to pass a physical with the Giant's doctors.

So, I see zero chance this trade ever takes place unless the owner hates the guy, which I doubt!!!

If Luck was traded, I'm going to say that it will have some very interesting rules for what pick is conveyed, sort of like Favre trade to the Jets.  The pick being sent over will likely be based on the % of snaps played to protect them from Luck being done medically, but still possibly get Indy a good return if he returns at 100% and they moved on from a franchise QB.

According to the NFL Network, if Favre takes 50 percent of total snaps with the Jets in 2008, the fourth-rounder becomes a third-round pick. If he gets 70 percent of the snaps and the Jets make the playoffs, it becomes a second-round pick; and if he gets 80 percent of snaps and the Jets make the Super Bowl, it becomes a first-round pick.

Now granted I don't think the restrictions will convey such a limited pick but I could see something similar.  Such as it starts out as a 3rd round pick, 50% of the snaps move it up to a 2nd round pick, 70% and playoffs means a 1st round pick, and 80% with the Super Bowl turns into 2 first round picks.  If he goes to a team like Pittsburgh(if Ben retires), Jacksonville, Arizona, Denver, then it could very realistically end up being a 1st round pick, if not 2 first round picks as those teams already have good pieces in place but have a severe lack at the QB position, heck maybe even Minnesota could consider it.  Granted for a team like Jacksonville the requirements might be even greater as they are a divisional foe.

Lot to digest here.

First off, I wholeheartedly agree with @lancerman in regards to Luck being worth more to the Colts than the Giants should pay.    The Giants would have to give up multiple first round pick value on top of paying his enormous salary, and what are they getting?    A QB who CAN be top 5 but hasnt been able to stay healthy in recent years.     That all being said, there is certainly an argument that the risk COULD be worth the potential reward.  Yes, there is a chance that the Giants would give up two first rounders and a huge salary and be stuck with a guy who is always on the injury report.   There is also a chance you get a guy who stays healthy to finish his career and leads them to multiple Superbowls.     I certainly wouldnt knock the Giants for TRYING it, but there are arguments to be made both ways.

Secondly, I agree that trading for Jacoby Brissett is both more realistic and the better option.   Trade Eli to possibly the Jags, trade for Brissett and give him a modest extension (2-3 years) and then draft a QB early.   Im personally not a fan of the QBs in this draft picks as top 5 picks, but its going to happen.   Bring Brissett in and have the rookie sit back for a year or two, and then the Giants can possibly trade one of the QBs for a day 2 pick or perhaps even a first rounder in 2020 or so.

Third....while I cant see the Colts trading Luck, I honestly think the Colts may just be the most untalented all around team in the league.    I honestly think Luck would be better off with the Browns going forward than the Colts.   Not to say its a great situation....but the Browns will have Josh Gordon, David Njoku, a pretty solid OLine, a young developing defense and alot of draft capital next year.   

1 hour ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Lot to digest here.

First off, I wholeheartedly agree with @lancerman in regards to Luck being worth more to the Colts than the Giants should pay.    The Giants would have to give up multiple first round pick value on top of paying his enormous salary, and what are they getting?    A QB who CAN be top 5 but hasnt been able to stay healthy in recent years.     That all being said, there is certainly an argument that the risk COULD be worth the potential reward.  Yes, there is a chance that the Giants would give up two first rounders and a huge salary and be stuck with a guy who is always on the injury report.   There is also a chance you get a guy who stays healthy to finish his career and leads them to multiple Superbowls.     I certainly wouldnt knock the Giants for TRYING it, but there are arguments to be made both ways.

Secondly, I agree that trading for Jacoby Brissett is both more realistic and the better option.   Trade Eli to possibly the Jags, trade for Brissett and give him a modest extension (2-3 years) and then draft a QB early.   Im personally not a fan of the QBs in this draft picks as top 5 picks, but its going to happen.   Bring Brissett in and have the rookie sit back for a year or two, and then the Giants can possibly trade one of the QBs for a day 2 pick or perhaps even a first rounder in 2020 or so.

Third....while I cant see the Colts trading Luck, I honestly think the Colts may just be the most untalented all around team in the league.    I honestly think Luck would be better off with the Browns going forward than the Colts.   Not to say its a great situation....but the Browns will have Josh Gordon, David Njoku, a pretty solid OLine, a young developing defense and alot of draft capital next year.   

I'll repeat, the doctors will make the call on Luck not GM's, if they give him 100% clearance, then he is not going to be traded, period and if they don't, then he becomes untradable, because he won't be able to pass a physical and a traded player always has to pass a physical or the trade is never finalized. If the doctors say he will heal completely and be as good as new, then he carries the same risk as any starting QB in the NFL.

As for the QB's in this draft, it will be the greatest draft of QB's ever seen in NFL history, with as many as 7 or 8 going in round 1 and 3 going top 5, all 1st class QB prospects.

16 minutes ago, Iamcanadian said:

I'll repeat, the doctors will make the call on Luck not GM's, if they give him 100% clearance, then he is not going to be traded, period and if they don't, then he becomes untradable, because he won't be able to pass a physical and a traded player always has to pass a physical or the trade is never finalized. If the doctors say he will heal completely and be as good as new, then he carries the same risk as any starting QB in the NFL.

I wasnt implying that I thought he would be traded.    I do not believe he will, healthy or not.     Just having fun with the scenario in which he could be moved.  

16 minutes ago, Iamcanadian said:

As for the QB's in this draft, it will be the greatest draft of QB's ever seen in NFL history, with as many as 7 or 8 going in round 1 and 3 going top 5, all 1st class QB prospects.

There is a big BIG difference between claiming it will be the "greatest draft of QBs" and "the most QBs taken in the first round" .    

This is not a good QB class IMO.   I dont care what supposed experts said, because alot of them were the same guys who ranked Blaine Gabbert and Christian Hackenberg as first round talents when it was abundantly clear they were day 3 prospects.

Im not going to get into another debate about this, but I personally only see 2-3 first round WORTHY QBs, and none of them are worth top 5 picks IMO and only one is worth top 10 (Rosen).  A few QBs projected to go high I wouldnt go near with the first 50 picks and maybe not even until day 3.

Of course, obviously, I could be wrong.   Im just not nearly as impressed with this QB class as I was before the season started.

Darnold probably another Sanchez or Leinart, even Carson Palmer was just above average. PAC 12 is not big time competition and neither is Notre Dame. You can't sell Giant fans on winning three years from now in the NY market.

Depending on the cap situation and the new coach, it depends on whether they decide they need a total rebuild or just a retooling.

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 5:56 PM, lod01 said:

Damaged goods and really hasn't performed to his hype. Giants won't touch him.

Yeah, the Giants would rather 'take a look' at Geno Smith.....

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 5:48 PM, riceman80 said:

From one situation with no running game and crappy offensive line play to another lol.

29, nearly 2 years removed from real-time play by the start of next season, coming off major surgery, and has a monster contract.

I find it very hard to see anyone wanting to take that situation on, regardless of his potential.

Pretty much this.

11 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I wasnt implying that I thought he would be traded.    I do not believe he will, healthy or not.     Just having fun with the scenario in which he could be moved.  

There is a big BIG difference between claiming it will be the "greatest draft of QBs" and "the most QBs taken in the first round" .    

This is not a good QB class IMO.   I dont care what supposed experts said, because alot of them were the same guys who ranked Blaine Gabbert and Christian Hackenberg as first round talents when it was abundantly clear they were day 3 prospects.

Im not going to get into another debate about this, but I personally only see 2-3 first round WORTHY QBs, and none of them are worth top 5 picks IMO and only one is worth top 10 (Rosen).  A few QBs projected to go high I wouldnt go near with the first 50 picks and maybe not even until day 3.

Of course, obviously, I could be wrong.   Im just not nearly as impressed with this QB class as I was before the season started.

I would have to say you are wrong and I don't remember too many people liking Hackenberg, besides he was drafted in round 2 where QB's only have around a 6% chance for success. So finding one flop, Gabbert(oh, he is currently starting in the NFL:D), but I agree he stinks, isn't really much evidence that the experts are wrong too often, at least about QB's???

I wonder what you had to say about Trubisky, Goff, Wentz, and Watson, I'll bet it wasn't too flattering!!!

Archived