What do you do if you're the Chicago Bears?

DigInBoys

52 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Sure, Love had limited game snaps when he made the deal. But the basic situation was similar in that both the Pack last year and Bears this year were coming up on the option year with uncertainty about whether Love or Fields is "the guy". So Green Bay made a deal that gave them an extended audition from Love while he earned more money. Chicago (or a new team if Fields is traded) should want to do the same. 

Regarding trade value, teams will offer a lot for a QB they like and be happy to pay it if he performs. So a trade for Fields is likely to get a 2nd rounder this year plus a conditional pick, if at least 2 teams are interested in him. If there is only one team willing to make him their starter, then it's a different conversation.

Well, the Commanders can just sign Cousins or Mayfield or Wilson in free agency given all their cap space. Those guys come with relatively high floors though 2 of them are mid-30s. 

If they keep Fields as the starter and trade pick 1, they'll have assets next year to work with. They already have Carolina's 2nd rounder. That doesn't mean picking a QB at 1 this year is the wrong choice and next year's group may not be as good, but it's not an unsolvable problem for a team with picks and cap space. 

We’re basically an expansion team at this point. Why would we sign an expensive vet QB? 

• Like 1

I still can't fathom how people think it's a good idea to keep Fields for another year. The guy has been a bottom third QB in pretty much every metric for the last 3 years. At no point has he shown he can win games or be a franchise QB yet people are saying they should build around him? If you don't have a QB in the today's league the rest of the team is irrelevant.

• Like 2

“Build up the team, Chicago isn’t a QB away”

People act like it takes teams years and years and years to turn it around. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn’t. Houston won 4 games in 2020, 4 games in 2021, 3 games in 2022, and then 10 games in 2023. The Bears won 7 games last year with bad QB play, now they’ve got a boat load of cap, and two top 10 picks. An upgrade at QB, some smart FA spending, and a new offense can’t give them a 2-3 game bump into a playoff spot? 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Soko said:

“Build up the team, Chicago isn’t a QB away”

People act like it takes teams years and years and years to turn it around. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn’t. Houston won 4 games in 2020, 4 games in 2021, 3 games in 2022, and then 10 games in 2023. The Bears won 7 games last year with bad QB play, now they’ve got a boat load of cap, and two top 10 picks. An upgrade at QB, some smart FA spending, and a new offense can’t give them a 2-3 game bump into a playoff spot? 

1. You're not always going to get the chance to draft Caleb Williams, or hell even a Jayden Daniels
2. It depends on the coach, unfortunately the bears didn't fire Eberflus

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Danger said:

1. You're not always going to get the chance to draft Caleb Williams, or hell even a Jayden Daniels
2. It depends on the coach, unfortunately the bears didn't fire Eberflus

I don’t understand the point of #1.

And yes, unfortunately for Bears fans, they did not fire Eberflus. Team still won 7 games with Justin Fields and Tyson Bagent. Upgrading at QB could certainly be enough to push them into playoff contention. 

3 minutes ago, Soko said:

And yes, unfortunately for Bears fans, they did not fire Eberflus. Team still won 7 games with Justin Fields and Tyson Bagent. Upgrading at QB could certainly be enough to push them into playoff contention. 

The point of #1 is if they choose NOT to draft a QB and draft some other position instead, they'll probably stuck playing some scrub like Fields or Bagent. Or idk Davis Mills.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Danger said:

The point of #1 is if they choose NOT to draft a QB and draft some other position instead, they'll probably stuck playing some scrub like Fields or Bagent. Or idk Davis Mills.

Presumably they’re okay with that (people saying to trade the pick), because the team is so bad that it wouldn’t make a difference. 

A dumb point, but the one being made. 

On 3/1/2024 at 2:53 PM, sparky151 said:

It's a bad throw but Fields isn't to blame for Herbert getting hurt. It wasn't a hospital pass that lead the receiver into a kill shot. It was just an underthrow that Herbert unfortunately got hurt on.

Of the 48 NFL players who attempted at least 100 passes last year, Fields was 20th in TD%. Among those with a lower % are Joe Burrow, Jalen Hurts, Trevor Lawrence, Kyler Murray, Geno Smith, and a bunch of others.  Fields 6.9 YPA is the same as the average for the group. 

I haven't knocked Kmet but apparently you feel he's been disrespected somehow. 

I think we're in agreement that Fields would quickly accept the Love contract if offered. My view is that he's not a sure thing to be the Bears starting QB and has a trade market of maybe 2 or 3 teams. So the best thing for him is to play better while finding a team that will commit to him. The price of 3 mediocre seasons thus far is taking a Geno Smith type deal. If he wants top dollar he has to play better. He knows that as well as everyone else. If he wants the Bears to keep him and trade pick 1, he needs upgrades around him, a better scheme but also needs to do something for the team.

Rodgers trade value was limited by his age. He was a 2 year rental. A team trading for Fields hopes they can unlock his talent and keep him as their starter for a decade. That's why they'll agree to the conditional pick. If he hits the conditions, it's worth it for them.

The NFL passer rating looks at 4 stats. They are Yards per Attempt, Completion Percentage, TD Percentage, and Interception Percentage.  Fields has a relatively low completion rate (he isn't reliable about setting his feet before throwing) and thus a slightly low YPA. But his TD% is pretty good. His INT % isn't bad, it's better than Josh Allen, Trevor Lawrence, Jalen Hurts, Jake Browning, and a bunch of others. 

Fields turns it over too much, including his fumbles. He sometimes misses open throws. But the criticism of him in this thread is overblown.

It depends on how many teams are interested in him. If it's 2 or more then he should fetch a 2nd this year and probably something next year. If only 1 team or no team wants him, then the Bears are stuck. His contract is guaranteed. He's a team-first guy so maybe they keep him as a backup. He could also be traded after the draft for a pick next year, especially if the new team wants his 5th year option. The deadline for that is a few days after the draft.

All his high TD% tells me is that he has to rely on running it to be able to move the ball down the field because he rarely passes the ball. Oddly enough, if he was actually a good reliable passer he would have more passing attempts and less rushing attempts to move the ball, leading to his TD% looking “worse.”

What’s more impressive from a passing standpoint? Fields leading an 80 yard drive that ends with a passing TD where he goes 3/4 passing for 28 yards?  Or Fields leading an 80 yard drive than ends with a passing TD where he goes 8/10 passing for 70 yards? It’s option 2, despite his TD percentage being less than 1/2 as much as option 1 and the example illustrates why his is artificially inflated as a RB masquerading as a QB.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Soko said:

Presumably they’re okay with that (people saying to trade the pick), because the team is so bad that it wouldn’t make a difference. 

A dumb point, but the one being made. 

"Our team sucks so instead of taking the best player in the draft, lets take a lesser player at a less important position."

Nick Young Confused GIF - Nick Young Confused What GIFs

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Soko said:

They had one of the easier schedules in the league. They beat one team with a winning record (Lions). 

Caleb and his Dad are starting to remind me of the Ball Family.

Dad running his mouth about circumventing the CBA, his son not having a Rookie contract, ownership rights ,trying to stay relevant in the media. Thinking his son is the next.....🤷‍♂️ before ever taking a NFL snap.

Dad, Agent and Son thinking he's so special, I don't need to give NFL clubs medicals? I'm starting to wonder if he's even going to perform at his pro day TBH?

I understand not working out at the combine but refusing medicals? Unless Caleb has a previous injury he doesn't want disclosed? Or doesn't know about but thinks it might be possible ala Kool-aide really doesn't make sense?

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/caleb-williams-red-flags-explained-father-agent/ebdb755e7ba9096db47e46a2

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Acgott said:

They had one of the easier schedules in the league. They beat one team with a winning record (Lions). 

Five opponents next year picking in the top 10, including the worst records 1 through 4. Some tough opponents in there too, but if they split a couple division games and win an upset or two, they’re in contention.

6 hours ago, Danger said:

"Our team sucks so instead of taking the best player in the draft, lets take a lesser player at a less important position."

Nick Young Confused GIF - Nick Young Confused What GIFs

Draft Capital though bro 😎 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Caleb and his Dad are starting to remind me of the Ball Family.

Dad running his mouth about circumventing the CBA, his son not having a Rookie contract, ownership rights ,trying to stay relevant in the media. Thinking his son is the next.....🤷‍♂️ before ever taking a NFL snap.

Dad, Agent and Son thinking he's so special, I don't need to give NFL clubs medicals? I'm starting to wonder if he's even going to perform at his pro day TBH?

I understand not working out at the combine but refusing medicals? Unless Caleb has a previous injury he doesn't want disclosed? Or doesn't know about but thinks it might be possible ala Kool-aide really doesn't make sense?

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/caleb-williams-red-flags-explained-father-agent/ebdb755e7ba9096db47e46a2

He said he’s gonna give teams that actually have a chance to draft him his medical. I imagine it’s the teams in the top 10, or bring hiM in for personal visits. I don’t really have a problem with that, like is there a reason the Chiefs or Eagles should know his medical info? Guy played every game, it’s doubtful he’s hiding anything. 

not a big fan of his dad either, but hey Mahomes is example one of a guy who’s family is generally trash and yet he’s still succesful lmao.