What do you do if you're the Chicago Bears?

DigInBoys

3 hours ago, brownie man said:

Here’s what you do

You trade Justin

Draft Caleb

with the assets you traded for Justin you can trade up slightly to make sure you can secure either Nabers or Odunze

end of story 

I like the idea, but i don’t think a trade up is necessary.  Assuming at least 3 QBs go before 9 the bears are guaranteed one of Alt, Fashanu, Nabers, Odunze, or Bowers.  I’m happy sitting tight and letting one of them fall in my lap and keep my assets from Fields 

• Like 1

Step 1. Trade Justin to ATL for 2.43 and a Future 3rd that becomes a second if he starts 16 games and a first if he wins 10+ games.
Step 2. Trade down with Wash for 1.2 2.36 and Future 2nd
Step 3. Take Drake Maye
Step 4. Use your draft capital from ATL and Was to load up on talent.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lavar703 said:

They did the same thing to Daron Payne two years ago when we finished top 5 in DVOA and he had 11.5 sacks from the interior. They basically graded him as a scrub and he was dominant. It was just weird. 

Sometimes it feels like it's as objective as dunk contest ratings. I'll still use PFF ratings before I use ESPN's BS "QBR" however.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Danger said:

Sometimes it feels like it's as objective as dunk contest ratings. I'll still use PFF ratings before I use ESPN's BS "QBR" however.

Eh, for pass rushing, it makes sense. The traditional stats used for pass rusher evaluation don’t really mirror the play-to-play performance. Same goes for DB’s (INT’s).

Defense just doesn’t lend itself to extremely valid traditional stats.

I value how PFF does it, ie grade the defender every play in fairly measurable criteria that are independent of the rest of the defense and play outcome.

Sometimes it seems their grades just can’t be right with defenders (like Payne for the other poster). As a MN fan I always feel Danielle Hunter grades too low. And certainly, a flaw in the PFF system is that we have to rely on the evaluator to do a good job. But at the end of the day, I remind myself that someone watches Hunter (or whoever) each down and was hired presumably because they’re more qualified to determine how good a player is actually doing. Because just cause Hunter is on my team, I can’t say that I watch him every down and understand his assignment each play (or a lot of other things).

1 hour ago, MaddHatter said:

Step 1. Trade Justin to ATL for 2.43 and a Future 3rd that becomes a second if he starts 16 games and a first if he wins 10+ games.
Step 3. Take Drake Maye

That is some wishful thinking from a division rival lol.

3 hours ago, sparky151 said:

I mostly agree with this but the flip side is Fields led OSU further than Williams led USC. Two conference titles and 2 playoff appearances. OSU had an excellent defense in 2019 with Hafley. Then not so good in 2020 with Coombs. No doubt Fields needs to improve. Some here act as if that's impossible or unlikely even though he has improved as a passer each season of his career despite considerably adverse circumstances.

He'd have to stay healthy but a modest 15% improvement in yards per game would mean the Bears single season passing record and the first 4000 yard season in team history. Between an additional year of experience, better coaching/playcalling, upgrades to the O-line and receiving corps, that seems doable.

Fields had a ton of NFL talent around him, so essentially he got to play on rookie mode. That's why I'm not impressed by that. It's like JJ McCarthy, he has a national championship and a stellar win/loss record. Would you want him at 1.1? I wouldn't. Also Fields improves because he had a Tebow like start passing wise. It's hard not to improve from that.

I'm concerned about him being able to stay healthy. He isn't just getting hurt in the pocket. He's been hurt running and just lacks enough awareness to protect himself imo. Idk if he can stay healthy for 17. If so I have no doubt he can pass for 4000 with a competent OC. But he's so inconsistent I feel like he will have as many 300 yard games as 130 yard games, maybe less.

Ill always be a fan of his though. I hope Fields gets into a swing and thrives somewhere. He's a great teammate ans carried the team even through a tank. I mean he was 9th in MVP voting while the team got the 1st overall pick. Never complained a bit.

15 hours ago, MaddHatter said:

Step 3. Take Drake Maye

YEah, that's way too much to trade for Fields. Probably end up more like a 3rd this year and a future 3rd.

13 hours ago, fluhartz said:

I hope Fields goes to Atlanta and blows up....  I was rooting for him in Chicago, but if the Bears give up on him for a diva like Williams I can root against them again...

Agreed on Fields to Atlanta and blows up.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Why wouldn't Fields take the Jordan Love deal if the Bears committed to him? It would be a no-brainer for him as it gives him more money earlier. If the team wants a couple of option years after that with escalators, why not sign that? Besides playing better, what Fields needs is job security, especially for this offseason.

He knows he's on thin ice with the team since they own pick 1 in this draft. He should want them to take the haul and upgrade his line and receiving corps. If that happens and he plays better, the team isn't likely to be trying to replace him next offseason. So he should be flexible with his contract to get them to keep him as the starter. 

I wasn't speaking about a Jordan Love deal, I was talking about your proposal of 2/3 "option" years at $25M-$30M included.  There's legitimately no upside with that kind of deal.  $25M/year is Jimmy G/Geno Smith level of money, which is pretty much what he'd get as a FA if a team was interested in him.  You're probably getting him at a 2 years, $50M if he were to be a FA right now, and a team didn't really have a better option at QB.  If you want him to give up his FA status, you're probably going to need those options closer to ~$35M at a minimum.

Look at the QB market and the highest paid QB after Jimmy G/Geno Smith not on a rookie contract is Taylor Heineke at $7M/year, which is your high-end backup QB money.  Geno Smith at $25M and Jimmy G at $24.25M are your low-end starter QB money.  Why should/would Justin Fields agree to low-end QB money?  That would essentially be Justin Fields admitting that he doesn't think he's a franchise QB.

16 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Fields had a ton of NFL talent around him, so essentially he got to play on rookie mode. That's why I'm not impressed by that. It's like JJ McCarthy, he has a national championship and a stellar win/loss record. Would you want him at 1.1? I wouldn't. Also Fields improves because he had a Tebow like start passing wise. It's hard not to improve from that.

I'm concerned about him being able to stay healthy. He isn't just getting hurt in the pocket. He's been hurt running and just lacks enough awareness to protect himself imo. Idk if he can stay healthy for 17. If so I have no doubt he can pass for 4000 with a competent OC. But he's so inconsistent I feel like he will have as many 300 yard games as 130 yard games, maybe less.

Ill always be a fan of his though. I hope Fields gets into a swing and thrives somewhere. He's a great teammate ans carried the team even through a tank. I mean he was 9th in MVP voting while the team got the 1st overall pick. Never complained a bit.

Yup, same goes for CJ Stroud. He had the same OSU-caliber weapons as his predecessor (Fields). Just rookie mode. Teams shouldn’t have fallen for Stroud in the first round.

7 minutes ago, Duluther said:

Yup, same goes for CJ Stroud. He had the same OSU-caliber weapons as his predecessor (Fields). Just rookie mode. Teams shouldn’t have fallen for Stroud in the first round.

Now you're learning. 👍

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MaddHatter said:

Step 3. Take Drake Maye

Holy wild overpay Batman.  I really don't believe Justin Fields is fetching a early-to-mid SRP and potentially a future FRP.

21 hours ago, Soko said:

So Fields is “in the ballpark” of Murray (Murray ahead by 3), but is clearly “ahead” of Levis (Fields is ahead by two)? Bias is showing again. Your defense of Fields is that he’s at least barely ahead of first year starters, and backup caliber guys like Pickett? What about being right there with Minshew? Behind Flacco? And when did passer rating become the end-all? I realize my questions are just into the void at this point because you’re avoiding them, but come on. 

Murray and Watson are only unquestioned starters because of their terrible contracts. Neither are QBs their teams are happy with. Fields has been awful, and I’d still love to hear about all his good games, excluding Washington/Denver/NE.

Passer rating isn't the end all, Fields led the Bears in rushing yards the last couple of years. But the criticism of him is that he's a bad passer. He's merely below average while in a bad situation. He's been in the league for 3 years but in a poor offensive scheme all of them. He didn't have much surrounding talent his first couple of years. 

So Fields good games don't count, only his poor ones? Who is biased here? I've been arguing based on his overall body of work. 

• Like 1