What do you do if you're the Chicago Bears?

DigInBoys

13 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

It took the Ravens until May to get a deal done with Lamar. But another team was supposed to get it done within a couple of days to start free agency so that they'd still be able to target guys if the Ravens matched? It's like come on.

Possibly.  Sometimes it takes a 3rd party to be brought to the negotiating table to get the discussions going.  If Lamar Jackson was set on a Watson-esque contract (~100% guaranteed) and the Ravens wanted him closer to the ~75% guaranteed that the QB market was, if a team was willing to come in at say 85% guaranteed that could have finished the deal.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Possibly.  Sometimes it takes a 3rd party to be brought to the negotiating table to get the discussions going.  If Lamar Jackson was set on a Watson-esque contract (~100% guaranteed) and the Ravens wanted him closer to the ~75% guaranteed that the QB market was, if a team was willing to come in at say 85% guaranteed that could have finished the deal.

I just don't think any team was going to commit that much to him after a day or two of negotiations, risking their ability to sign any other free agents, when the Ravens could've easily matched.

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I just don't think any team was going to commit that much to him after a day or two of negotiations, risking their ability to sign any other free agents, when the Ravens could've easily matched.

Maybe but:

For the talent he is,  and considering that 4 of the teams who announced they would not pursue Lamar fired their head coach,  why not look into it? Would you trade Tyree Wilson and the #13 pick for Lamar? I sure would

Just now, massraider said:

Maybe but:

For the talent he is,  and considering that 4 of the teams who announced they would not pursue Lamar fired their head coach,  why not look into it? Would you trade Tyree Wilson and the #13 pick for Lamar? I sure would

I'm sure most teams considered it when they announced the non-exclusive tag. 

But it would've required:

1. Lamar was actually interested in playing for them

2. The team would've been able to negotiate a deal with Lamar (no agent) within a few day time period

3. The team was willing to risk their entire free agency on the Ravens not matching the deal

4. The team was willing to give up 2 FRP

5. The teams owner was cash rich enough to put $180M-200M into escrow as soon as the deal was agreed too

6. The team wasn't scared off by back to back injury plagued down years

It took Lamar and the Ravens until May to find a middle ground and get a deal done with the guaranteed money. To think another team was realistically going to get it done in a few days is crazy. Especially when you consider that team would've had to have sacrificed their pursuit of other free agents and pray the Ravens weren't going to match. If they did match then you basically passed on the tier 1 guys for no reason.

For a team like the Raiders the most guaranteed money they've ever given out was $66M. I'm not sure that Mark was financially capable of putting up $200M on a whim to sign Lamar.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2024 at 6:06 PM, sparky151 said:

Poles doesn't need to win the Super Bowl to keep his job, he needs to build a winning roster and avoid using the top pick on a QB who doesn't work out in Chicago. Taking a rookie QB is a gamble compared to a vet plus extra draft picks. IMO Poles took a risk in keeping Eberflus around, let's see how it turns out.

If Poles keeps Fields and he doesn't take a massive leap next year, he's almost 100% guaranteed to get fired. If he drafts Caleb Williams and he just shows flashes of brilliance he'll give himself a couple more years.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

If Poles keeps Fields and he doesn't take a massive leap next year, he's almost 100% guaranteed to get fired. If he drafts Caleb Williams and he just shows flashes of brilliance he'll give himself a couple more years.

This is the key thing. The #1 goal of coaches and GMs in any given offseason is "avoid getting fired."   If you keep Fields, but draft good players,  and the team ends up like 8-9 then Poles and Eberflus are getting fired.  Caleb Williams is probably guaranteed to make enough "wow" plays as a rookie that barring a serious scandal Poles is sticking around at least until we find out if Caleb Williams is good or not.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Also worth noting was that Poles took the job and McCaskey had a short list of HCs he wanted to be interviewed, and it seems Poles just took Eberflus right out of the list since he respected him and knew he had the luxury of getting a full blown rebuild, so he might have the power to use Eberflus as the sacrificial lamb if the season goes poorly. Kevin Warren is the new President/CEO of Football Ops (oddly hired after Poles though) so he may not even want either, but I think if Poles got Moore and the capital from CAR, Sweat and a few solid picks like Wright, Dexter, and Stevenson, AND gets Williams Odunze/Bowers/EDGE that he will be pretty safe. 

Poles likely gets to pick his own HC, and I am looking DIRECTLY at Ben Johnson and backing the Brinks truck up for him.

6 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Also worth noting was that Poles took the job and McCaskey had a short list of HCs he wanted to be interviewed, and it seems Poles just took Eberflus right out of the list since he respected him and knew he had the luxury of getting a full blown rebuild, so he might have the power to use Eberflus as the sacrificial lamb if the season goes poorly. Kevin Warren is the new President/CEO of Football Ops (oddly hired after Poles though) so he may not even want either, but I think if Poles got Moore and the capital from CAR, Sweat and a few solid picks like Wright, Dexter, and Stevenson, AND gets Williams Odunze/Bowers/EDGE that he will be pretty safe. 

Poles likely gets to pick his own HC, and I am looking DIRECTLY at Ben Johnson and backing the Brinks truck up for him.

At this point, is Ben Johnson going to leave Detroit anytime soon?  He pretty much had his choice of any gig this year, and he turned down them to remain in Detroit.

45 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

At this point, is Ben Johnson going to leave Detroit anytime soon?  He pretty much had his choice of any gig this year, and he turned down them to remain in Detroit.

Was there a 2024 HC opening that had the prospective assets like chicago might have in 2025?

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Yeah.  If nothing else, just from a self-interested "self preservation" angle, Poles has no reason to do anything other than take Williams/Maye/Daniels.  At the very least, it resets the timer for him remaining in charge of the Bears.  Taking that huge good will in securing the Panthers #1 Overall pick as basically a "bonus"...and decided to just keep rolling on with Fields, would put him in a dire situation.  Unless Fields were to completely blow up and look like a top tier starter out of absolutely nowhere...that's getting him fired.

One of the rookies though?  They're a rookie...grabbed with a gravy pick.  They'll get time to see if they can develop into the "answer" or not.  It'd be silly for Poles not to take that opportunity to extend his tenure.  Even if the QB he selects doesn't pan out in the end...he'll still get at least a couple extra years of leash out of it.  If not more.

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

Was there a 2024 HC opening that had the prospective assets like chicago might have in 2025?

Los Angeles, Assets don't matter it's getting a say in the use of those assets. 

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Purely speculative, but I think Johnson is waiting for the perfect opportunity. So for the teams reaching out to him this year, they got the “I don’t really wanna come here, but if you make me an offer I can’t refuse, then sure” talk. Probably did rub some the wrong way, but if it’s strategic, then it is what it is.

Just speculation. For all I know the dude is an asshat who really wants to be gifted the world, or he’s a guy who is content with being a good OC.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

You don't think he will have his pick of gigs next year? Somehow I doubt he will want to be a permanent fixture at OC, and I doubt he flames out like Leftwich to where teams just have zero interest.

There goes another team away from the Fields sweepstakes.   Don't see Steelers targeting him now and they were probably his main team outside of maybe Atlanta looking at him from what everyone was saying.  Mac went for a 6th and where as Fields imo has more upside both of them have been very hit or miss so far as QB with similar numbers over he years.    Might be pretty hard for the Bears to get a 2nd at this point like was being reported.