What do you do if you're the Chicago Bears?

DigInBoys

9 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

The price is going down on Fields, if there is a potential will to trade him.
Might be a 3rd now, based on remaining teams needing a QB (not in a draft slot to direct take QB)

I don't know why anyone ever thought they would get more than a third? 

• Like 4

I mentioned it in the NFL news thread about him requesting a trade but if I'm the Bears and I've already decided I'm going QB at 1 I'd call Cincy and offer 9 for Higgins and 18.

With a QB on a rookie deal the Bears can afford to pay Higgins, they can add additional talent at 18 and the Bengals can replace Higgins with one of the top 3 WRs in the draft. 

Makes sense for both teams

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, rob_shadows said:

I mentioned it in the NFL news thread about him requesting a trade but if I'm the Bears and I've already decided I'm going QB at 1 I'd call Cincy and offer 9 for Higgins and 18.

With a QB on a rookie deal the Bears can afford to pay Higgins, they can add additional talent at 18 and the Bengals can replace Higgins with one of the top 3 WRs in the draft. 

Add Higgins then take Verse or Powers-Johnson at #18

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rob_shadows said:

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Add Higgins then take Verse or Powers-Johnson at #18

This would make me very happy.

I still try to trade down to #2 for Jonathan Allen and a 2nd. Caleb is a weirdo. A little too much Ryan Leaf in his attitude. Trade down to #2, and take Maye or Jayden.

Edited by Jeezla

19 hours ago, FalconFan13 said:

There goes another team away from the Fields sweepstakes.   Don't see Steelers targeting him now and they were probably his main team outside of maybe Atlanta looking at him from what everyone was saying.  Mac went for a 6th and where as Fields imo has more upside both of them have been very hit or miss so far as QB with similar numbers over he years.    Might be pretty hard for the Bears to get a 2nd at this point like was being reported.

Unfortunately, I think Atlanta was the last team that I felt "needed" Fields.  And after they got Kirk Cousins, the door is pretty much closed on significant draft capital coming back Chicago's way.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

The price is going down on Fields, if there is a potential will to trade him.
Might be a 3rd now, based on remaining teams needing a QB (not in a draft slot to direct take QB)

I mean...who is even left at this point?

The Patriots?  If they're even interested.

The Broncos?  Really awful fit with Fields and Payton.  Can't see them being into it.

The Giants maybe, but they're already got kind of a mess there.

I guess the Vikings now enter the picture...but the in division trade would still complicate things.

But with Atlanta, Pittsburgh, and Vegas all going a different direction for their "right now" immediate starter...the potential market has shrunk to very little.  Certainly not going to have much leverage...but it also seems like such a terrible idea to just keep Fields around as a distraction and just continuing to lose value as he runs out the last of his rookie deal...not playing.

3 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

I mean...who is even left at this point?

The Patriots?  If they're even interested.

The Broncos?  Really awful fit with Fields and Payton.  Can't see them being into it.

The Giants maybe, but they're already got kind of a mess there.

I guess the Vikings now enter the picture...but the in division trade would still complicate things.

But with Atlanta, Pittsburgh, and Vegas all going a different direction for their "right now" immediate starter...the potential market has shrunk to very little.  Certainly not going to have much leverage...but it also seems like such a terrible idea to just keep Fields around as a distraction and just continuing to lose value as he runs out the last of his rookie deal...not playing.

I think it's the Patriots and Raiders as the only teams that might view him as a potential starter.  Just going down the list:

Buffalo - Josh Allen
Miami - Tua
New England - Possibly.
New York - Aaron Rodgers

Baltimore - Lamar Jackson
Cincinnati - Joe Burrow
Cleveland - Deshaun Watson
Pittsburgh - Russell Wilson/Kenny Pickett

Houston - CJ Stroud
Indianapolis - Anthony Richardson
Jacksonville - Trevor Lawrence
Tennessee - Will Levis?

Denver - Maybe, but Payton and Fields seems like an awful fit.
Kansas City - Patrick Mahomes
Las Vegas - Possibly.
Los Angeles - Justin Herbert

Dallas - Dak Prescott
New York - Possibly.
Philadelphia - Jalen Hurts
Washignton - Probably taking a QB at 2.

Detroit - Jared Goff
Green Bay - Jordan Love
Minnesota - Have a need, but inter-division trade.

Atlanta - Kirk Cousins.
Carolina - Bryce Young
New Orleans - Derek Carr
Tampa Bay - Baker Mayfield

Arizona - Kyler Murray
Los Angeles - Matthew Stafford
San Francisco - Brock Purdy
Seattle - Geno Smith

I'm struggling to find a market for him.  You've got New England, Denver, and NY Giants as possible fits.  Minnesota has a need, but Chicago probably doesn't want to deal him within the division.  It definitely seems his market is closer to Trey Lance than Bears' fans care to admit.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I think it's the Patriots and Raiders as the only teams that might view him as a potential starter.  Just going down the list:

Buffalo - Josh Allen
Miami - Tua
New England - Possibly.
New York - Aaron Rodgers

Baltimore - Lamar Jackson
Cincinnati - Joe Burrow
Cleveland - Deshaun Watson
Pittsburgh - Russell Wilson/Kenny Pickett

Houston - CJ Stroud
Indianapolis - Anthony Richardson
Jacksonville - Trevor Lawrence
Tennessee - Will Levis?

Denver - Maybe, but Payton and Fields seems like an awful fit.
Kansas City - Patrick Mahomes
Las Vegas - Possibly.
Los Angeles - Justin Herbert

Dallas - Dak Prescott
New York - Possibly.
Philadelphia - Jalen Hurts
Washignton - Probably taking a QB at 2.

Detroit - Jared Goff
Green Bay - Jordan Love
Minnesota - Have a need, but inter-division trade.

Atlanta - Kirk Cousins.
Carolina - Bryce Young
New Orleans - Derek Carr
Tampa Bay - Baker Mayfield

Arizona - Kyler Murray
Los Angeles - Matthew Stafford
San Francisco - Brock Purdy
Seattle - Geno Smith

I'm struggling to find a market for him.  You've got New England, Denver, and NY Giants as possible fits.  Minnesota has a need, but Chicago probably doesn't want to deal him within the division.  It definitely seems his market is closer to Trey Lance than Bears' fans care to admit.

I think even the Vegas thing looks incredibly tenuous at this point.  Between the questions of fit with Getsy and now going out and giving Minshew a healthy chunk of change...it looks to me like that's the way they've decided to go for "right now".  And probably draft someone to develop and take over from him when they're ready.

There's just not much left for landing spots that make sense to me.  Plus, you've got teams that are going to look to the draft for a guy.  And a decent supply of guys that should be ready early, if not immediately.  Including guys like Nix/Penix who may not be world beaters, but are already quite a bit older as prospects and have a wealth of experience that you're probably going to want to get them learning on the job sooner, rather than later.

Really have to wonder if the Bears didn't overplay their hand a bit and let the market shake out with other teams getting preferred options to shrink the market.

17 minutes ago, SodeeWater_Cheezburger said:

The Bears could just hold onto Fields for now and wait until someone's quarterback goes down in training camp or the preseason.  His price will go up then.

I don't know..... Fields was well liked in the locker room, with numerous players directly lobbying to keep him.  I REALLY don't think The Bears want to have that kind of distraction around them all offseason when we're undoubtedly bringing in a rookie QB (almost assuredly Caleb Williams).... ESPECIALLY since I'm willing to bet that drafting Caleb Williams is going to inspire the NFL to FORCE Chicago to be on Hard Knocks.

I'd be astounded if Fields is still here by the time the draft is over.

• Like 2