What do you do if you're the Chicago Bears?

DigInBoys

2 minutes ago, Epyon said:

I don't know..... Fields was well liked in the locker room, with numerous players directly lobbying to keep him.  I REALLY don't think The Bears want to have that kind of distraction around them all offseason when we're undoubtedly bringing in a rookie QB (almost assuredly Caleb Williams).... ESPECIALLY since I'm willing to bet that drafting Caleb Williams is going to inspire the NFL to FORCE Chicago to be on Hard Knocks.

I'd be astounded if Fields is still here by the time the draft is over.

I mean a rookie should sit for a vet and then take over, it is the way 

2 minutes ago, Epyon said:

I don't know..... Fields was well liked in the locker room, with numerous players directly lobbying to keep him.  I REALLY don't think The Bears want to have that kind of distraction around them all offseason when we're undoubtedly bringing in a rookie QB (almost assuredly Caleb Williams).... ESPECIALLY since I'm willing to bet that drafting Caleb Williams is going to inspire the NFL to FORCE Chicago to be on Hard Knocks.

I'd be astounded if Fields is still here by the time the draft is over.

That's a good point.  Doing that, just to go from a 3rd to a 2nd round pick, for example, is probably not worth it.

12 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

I mean a rookie should sit for a vet and then take over, it is the way 

This only applies if your veteran is:

1. Good

2. Better than the rookie you're bringing in.

Neither of those apply to Fields.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Epyon said:

This only applies if your veteran is:

1. Good

2. Better than the rookie you're bringing in.

Neither of those apply to Fields.

I don’t agree, but there’s many ways to cultivate a QB. I prefer to sit the guy regardless of the starter, and let them learn the offense and then play once fully formed.

forcing a guy into less than ideal situations is how bad habits are formed, and confidence can teeter. Unless Caleb is the next Stroud or Burrow, which he very well could be. I’m just cautious with young stars, probably watching Andy Reid baby rookies for a decade

4 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I think it's the Patriots and Raiders as the only teams that might view him as a potential starter.  Just going down the list:

Buffalo - Josh Allen
Miami - Tua
New England - Possibly.
New York - Aaron Rodgers

Baltimore - Lamar Jackson
Cincinnati - Joe Burrow
Cleveland - Deshaun Watson
Pittsburgh - Russell Wilson/Kenny Pickett

Houston - CJ Stroud
Indianapolis - Anthony Richardson
Jacksonville - Trevor Lawrence
Tennessee - Will Levis?

Denver - Maybe, but Payton and Fields seems like an awful fit.
Kansas City - Patrick Mahomes
Las Vegas - Possibly.
Los Angeles - Justin Herbert

Dallas - Dak Prescott
New York - Possibly.
Philadelphia - Jalen Hurts
Washignton - Probably taking a QB at 2.

Detroit - Jared Goff
Green Bay - Jordan Love
Minnesota - Have a need, but inter-division trade.

Atlanta - Kirk Cousins.
Carolina - Bryce Young
New Orleans - Derek Carr
Tampa Bay - Baker Mayfield

Arizona - Kyler Murray
Los Angeles - Matthew Stafford
San Francisco - Brock Purdy
Seattle - Geno Smith

I'm struggling to find a market for him.  You've got New England, Denver, and NY Giants as possible fits.  Minnesota has a need, but Chicago probably doesn't want to deal him within the division.  It definitely seems his market is closer to Trey Lance than Bears' fans care to admit.

Seattle has to at least consider him right? 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

The price is going down on Fields, if there is a potential will to trade him.
Might be a 3rd now, based on remaining teams needing a QB (not in a draft slot to direct take QB)

The market has spoken.  Fans have over valued him.  But 3rd/4th is pretty cheap compensation.  Someone will pay it even if it is just for a backup.  

5 minutes ago, FloydFan said:

Pathetic. You bluffed and held them when you should have folded them. Simple as that. 

Didn't Poles say publicly that they planned to do right by Fields and send him into a good situation

• Like 1

Just now, NYRaider said:

Didn't Poles say publicly that they planned to do right by Fields and send him into a good situation

Absolutely. Said they were intending to trade him at like the combine I think. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

People are dropping the "if" portion of the statement.

Well I guess if teams valued him around the league one of those opportunities might pop up but clearly they don't

13 hours ago, Chiefer said:

I don’t agree, but there’s many ways to cultivate a QB. I prefer to sit the guy regardless of the starter, and let them learn the offense and then play once fully formed.

forcing a guy into less than ideal situations is how bad habits are formed, and confidence can teeter. Unless Caleb is the next Stroud or Burrow, which he very well could be. I’m just cautious with young stars, probably watching Andy Reid baby rookies for a decade

This is the now age old debate.  Sit and learn or play.   People can cite examples of success on either side of ledger.  

Given choice I would always play and learn personally and I would (and did) always coach that way. 

We don't do this for any other skill.

You don't watch someone play the piano for a year.  You don't watch someone else taking batting practice for a year.  Reps with good instruction is how people should learn.   Watching alone is a slower process.  You see it in work place.   Shadowing is a bad way to train if person is always watching.  You have to make them do things and then you correct them as they go.  

The point about developing bad habits or losing confidence can be real.   But is worth the risk in my opinion.  Throw them in pool, take off life jacket and make them learn to swim.  

If your son was a QB and he was most talented, but lacked experience you wouldn't want him to sit for a year and learn.  Ask any father.  We only say this of QBs at NFL level.  And it only really works when there is a already good team in place and a good QB in place already.  Nobody does it otherwise.  And if they try they always end up playing the rookie anyway.  

I think sitting Fields all offseason in his first year and then throwing him to wolves in season without offseason reps was worst possible scenario for him.  And I predicted that was what would happen.   

I think that plus the 2nd year tank and the coaching changes is why we are where we are now with him.  He would be better today if he was the man from day 1 and we didn't tank in year 2.   

How much better?  I don't know.  Maybe he can't process at a high enough level.  Some people just can't.  But he would be better.  

I do think it is possible light can still come on for him.  I know he has the physical talent. 

• Like 3