What do you do if you're the Chicago Bears?

DigInBoys

3 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

This is the now age old debate.  Sit and learn or play.   People can cite examples of success on either side of ledger.  

Given choice I would always play and learn personally and I would (and did) always coach that way. 

We don't do this for any other skill.

You don't watch someone play the piano for a year.  You don't watch someone else taking batting practice for a year.  Reps with good instruction is how people should learn.   Watching alone is a slower process.  You see it in work place.   Shadowing is a bad way to train if person is always watching.  You have to make them do things and then you correct them as they go.  

The point about developing bad habits or losing confidence can be real.   But is worth the risk in my opinion.  Throw them in pool, take off life jacket and make them learn to swim.  

If your son was a QB and he was most talented, but lacked experience you wouldn't want him to sit for a year and learn.  Ask any father.  We only say this of QBs at NFL level.  And it only really works when there is a already good team in place and a good QB in place already.  Nobody does it otherwise.  And if they try they always end up playing the rookie anyway.  

I think sitting Fields all offseason in his first year and then throwing him to wolves in season without offseason reps was worst possible scenario for him.  And I predicted that was what would happen.   

I think that plus the 2nd year tank and the coaching changes is why we are where we are now with him.  He would be better today if he was the man from day 1 and we didn't tank in year 2.   

How much better?  I don't know.  Maybe he can't process at a high enough level.  Some people just can't.  But he would be better.  

I do think it is possible light can still come on for him.  I know he has the physical talent. 

If the NFL gave a lot of real quality reps to non-starters I would agree more with sit and watch.  It could be more of a hybrid approach to learning.  

But that isn't how they operate.   Coaches are always win now and they give their starter all attention and nearly all the reps.  Especially once season starts.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

This is the now age old debate.  Sit and learn or play.   People can cite examples of success on either side of ledger.  

Given choice I would always play and learn personally and I would (and did) always coach that way. 

We don't do this for any other skill.

You don't watch someone play the piano for a year.  You don't watch someone else taking batting practice for a year.  Reps with good instruction is how people should learn.   Watching alone is a slower process.  You see it in work place.   Shadowing is a bad way to train if person is always watching.  You have to make them do things and then you correct them as they go.  

The point about developing bad habits or losing confidence can be real.   But is worth the risk in my opinion.  Throw them in pool, take off life jacket and make them learn to swim.  

If your son was a QB and he was most talented, but lacked experience you wouldn't want him to sit for a year and learn.  Ask any father.  We only say this of QBs at NFL level.  And it only really works when there is a already good team in place and a good QB in place already.  Nobody does it otherwise.  And if they try they always end up playing the rookie anyway.  

I think sitting Fields all offseason in his first year and then throwing him to wolves in season without offseason reps was worst possible scenario for him.  And I predicted that was what would happen.   

I think that plus the 2nd year tank and the coaching changes is why we are where we are now with him.  He would be better today if he was the man from day 1 and we didn't tank in year 2.   

How much better?  I don't know.  Maybe he can't process at a high enough level.  Some people just can't.  But he would be better.  

I do think it is possible light can still come on for him.  I know he has the physical talent. 

My evidence is the three guys considered GOATs at QB, Mahomes, Brady, Montana, all sat for a year. Even Peyton struggled as a rookie. 

these guys perform symphonies, you don’t ask rookie piano players to do that. The mental game is way different in the pros, this ain’t HS football were coaching here. Can’t let emotions of letting your son play get in the way of business 

Edited by Chiefer

15 hours ago, Chiefer said:

I don’t agree, but there’s many ways to cultivate a QB. I prefer to sit the guy regardless of the starter, and let them learn the offense and then play once fully formed.

forcing a guy into less than ideal situations is how bad habits are formed, and confidence can teeter. Unless Caleb is the next Stroud or Burrow, which he very well could be. I’m just cautious with young stars, probably watching Andy Reid baby rookies for a decade

Was he babying them, or just trying to gain their trust so he could get away with stealing their nuggies later on?

Just now, SodeeWater_Cheezburger said:

Was he babying them, or just trying to gain their trust so he could get away with stealing their nuggies later on?

I mean he’s stealing their nuggies regardless of trust levels 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jebrick said:

No one wants him for the asking price.

I'm pretty sure the Bears aren't asking for much, teams just don't view him as a player worth giving up any assets for period. He'll be lucky to be a career backup at this point.

11 hours ago, offbyone said:

The market has spoken.  Fans have over valued him.  But 3rd/4th is pretty cheap compensation.  Someone will pay it even if it is just for a backup.  

Any GM that trades a third round pick for a backup QB should be shot into the sun.

21 minutes ago, Soko said:

Are we even sure that we’d want our rookie QB learning and picking up habits from a QB that doesn’t read defenses?

Worked for CJ Stroud

3 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

Worked for CJ Stroud

In college lol. Different level. Fields was a heisman finalist back then, now is a guy you don’t even want starting. 

If my rookie is sitting, I want them sitting behind a veteran that crosses all their T’s and has a high football IQ.