What do you do if you're the Chicago Bears?

DigInBoys

1 minute ago, Spartacus said:

I've been saying this since last year. Turn him into a gadget player and see what he can do. Although he can probably make a great living as a back up. I'm honestly surprised that there wasn't one stupid GM that would have said they could save him. 

I can't believe Sean Payton hasn't brought him in as Taysom Hill methadone.

21 hours ago, showtime said:

I'd like to get him for less, but I don't mind Fields. I probably like Fields more than a lot of people here. A change of scenery and a new beginning would do him good. I really want the Seahawks to address the QB position either in the draft or Fields.

You could probably get UDub legend Jake Browning for a 3rd and he's cost controlled for the next 3 years. 

• Like 1

This entire thread is so funny.

Justin Fields was QB4 in his own draft class. The NFL as a whole was never high on him and he did nothing over the next three years to prove anyone wrong. But he's somehow gonna pull a 2nd round pick from another team that has to decide whether to exercise his 5th year option before he ever plays a snap for them? Lol

On 3/13/2024 at 2:46 PM, DirtyDez said:

If you’re Pittsburgh would you have rather signed 35 year old Russ for nothing or traded a 4th? for Fields?

Russ can actually play. Fields is a career backup at best. I wouldn't be surprised if he's out of the league within 3 years.

Edited by StatKing
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Keenan Allen mentioned Caleb Williams but not Justin Fields at his press conference.

A large percentage, I don't think a majority, of our active internet fanbase (meaning people who post and talk), thinks Justin is staying and number 1 is being traded.

They are so insistent that this is real and true plan against the preponderance of the evidence they have even me doubting sometimes.  They believe it so strongly.  I'm like is it me or the children who are wrong?  

And I have publicly thought Bears were drafting a new QB since Browns loss.

It has gotten very personal online.  

The 'receipts' crowd is going to be insane when a move is made one way or other.  Can't come soon enough for me.

It's ugly out there. 

At this point to get this over with I will take a one of those coupon books they make kids sell for sports teams, a box of short bread girl scout cookies and an MVP haircut from Sport Clips.

27 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

A large percentage, I don't think a majority, of our active internet fanbase (meaning people who post and talk), thinks Justin is staying and number 1 is being traded.

They are so insistent that this is real and true plan against the preponderance of the evidence they have even me doubting sometimes.  They believe it so strongly.  I'm like is it me or the children who are wrong?  

And I have publicly thought Bears were drafting a new QB since Browns loss.

It has gotten very personal online.  

The 'receipts' crowd is going to be insane when a move is made one way or other.  Can't come soon enough for me.

It's ugly out there. 

At this point to get this over with I will take a one of those coupon books they make kids sell for sports teams, a box of short bread girl scout cookies and an MVP haircut from Sport Clips.

The people who think Fields is staying are straight up delusional. I truly do not understand why so many Bears fans want to keep this guy.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I'm leaning that direction to. Put #1 up for grabs, forcing Washington to pony up a 2nd or 3rd, Guaranteeing Caleb is a Commander. Then trade #2 potentially to Minnesota,  getting 11/23 and bext years 1st.  Use all 3 1st rd picks on Defense unless a stud OL is there and let the 2024 season play out. 

They could legitimately trade down 2-3x accumulate 3 1st rd picks,  multiple 2nds and build up in one draft. Still potentially having multiple 1st and or 2nds fir next years draft? 

Let the Caleb Williams and Daddy drama unfold elsewhere. 

4 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

I'm leaning that direction to. Put #1 up for grabs, forcing Washington to pony up a 2nd or 3rd, Guaranteeing Caleb is a Commander. Then trade #2 potentially to Minnesota,  getting 11/23 and bext years 1st.  Use all 3 1st rd picks on Defense unless a stud OL is there and let the 2024 season play out. 

They could legitimately trade down 2-3x accumulate 3 1st rd picks,  multiple 2nds and build up in one draft. Still potentially having multiple 1st and or 2nds fir next years draft? 

Let the Caleb Williams and Daddy drama unfold elsewhere. 

None of those draft picks matter if the Bears don't have a functional QB, which Justin Fields isn't. It's been 3 years and he's yet to throw for 20 tds in a season or 3000 passing yards and he's 10-29 as a starter. I highly doubt Ryan Poles is going to want to put his career on the line for a QB he didn't draft.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2024 at 5:14 PM, offbyone said:

It depends who your starter is and what pick in the 3rd round.  But fair point especially because he is on last year of contract and if you don't intend to play him then a 3rd rounder for a rental.

You don't trade a top 100 pick for a backup QB period. Those are the picks you should be drafting starters with, not guys who you hope like hell you don't need to play.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, StatKing said:

You don't trade a top 100 pick for a backup QB period. Those are the picks you should be drafting starters with, not guys who you hope like hell you don't need to play.

Seahawks just traded essentially that to Washington for Howell.  Eagles just traded a 3rd for Pickett.  

QB is most important person on the team.  Having a viable backup not a bad thing.  1/3 of 1st round picks bust straight up, that rate just goes up every round after that.  

Packers have a long history of drafting 1st round qbs that they put on the bench for years before even playing.

1 minute ago, offbyone said:

Seahawks just traded essentially that to Washington for Howell.  Eagles just traded a 3rd for Pickett.  

QB is most important person on the team.  Having a viable backup not a bad thing.  1/3 of 1st round picks bust straight up, that rate just goes up every round after that.  

Packers have a long history of drafting 1st round qbs that they put on the bench for years before even playing.

Packers have picked two first round QBs in my lifetime. We just got lucky and managed to hit on both those picks. I wasn't a fan of the Howell or Pickett trades either. My biggest issue with trading the pick for a backup QB is you are trading for a known commodity. If I draft a guy in the 3rd or 4th round I can atleast delude myself into believing they can be developed into a starter.