What do you do if you're the Chicago Bears?

DigInBoys

On 2/28/2024 at 11:32 AM, brownie man said:

Here’s what you do

You trade Justin

Draft Caleb

with the assets you traded for Justin you can trade up slightly to make sure you can secure either Nabers or Odunze

end of story 

Good job Chicago 

Even though you didn't get alot you did the right thing. 

Caleb is the guy. You are all even lucky to be in this situation where you can draft him. The Field's compensation is honestly irrelevant. The luck you have for even being able to get Caleb is enough. Teams would trade 3 first round picks easy to get to number 1 in this years draft. 

I would recommend drafting Nabers, Odunzue, and Brian Thomas Jr. at pick 8-9. Yes you can get a pass rusher, yes you can get a o lineman. 

But just follow what the Bengals did over equip your young QB while you've got the opportunity to get an elite talent. Get a superstar talent to learn behind Keenan. 

You got the middle rounds and you're whole future to get d line and o line. Get that receiver now and have him getting ready growing with Caleb. 

• Like 2

On 3/17/2024 at 6:52 PM, Pool said:

Yet somehow you just have to know they will screw it up. They always do. It's just a matter of how painful is it going to be this time.

I'll be honest, I'm not sure how Chicago hasn't signed a veteran QB.  Don't get me wrong, Gardner Mishnew wasn't going to sign in Chicago.  But you've got all that money, and you can't find a veteran QB to mentor Caleb Williams.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I'll be honest, I'm not sure how Chicago hasn't signed a veteran QB.  Don't get me wrong, Gardner Mishnew wasn't going to sign in Chicago.  But you've got all that money, and you can't find a veteran QB to mentor Caleb Williams.

How many Vet QB intentions are to automatically be a back up? Unless the money is right, why mentor and deal with Chicago Winters?

I'm sure the Dobbs, Taylor's and .....'s of the NFL will eventually be added I just don't see a long line of let me be "that guy" in Chicago.  

For multiple reasons 

Edited by Nabbs4u
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

How many Vet QB intentions are to automatically be a back up? Unless the money is right, why mentor and deal with Chicago Winters?

I'm sure the Dobbs, Taylor's and will eventually be added I just don't see a long line of let me be "that guy" in Chicago.  

For multiple reasons 

James Winston just signed a 1 year, $4M to be one of 3 rosterable QBs behind Deshaun Watson.  Mason Rudolph just signed a 1 year, $2.87M deal to backup Will Levis.  Jimmy G just signed a 1 year, $4.5M to hold the clipboard for Matthew Stafford.  You throw money at the position, the player will end up coming.  Hell, look at what Marcus Mariota got from Washington to do EXACTLY the same thing.  And Jacoby Brissett with the Patriots.  It's astounding that securing the right veteran QB wasn't priority #1 for Chicago.  Instead, they paid a premium on D'Andre Swift.

5 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

James Winston just signed a 1 year, $4M to be one of 3 rosterable QBs behind Deshaun Watson.  Mason Rudolph just signed a 1 year, $2.87M deal to backup Will Levis.  Jimmy G just signed a 1 year, $4.5M to hold the clipboard for Matthew Stafford.  You throw money at the position, the player will end up coming.  Hell, look at what Marcus Mariota got from Washington to do EXACTLY the same thing.  And Jacoby Brissett with the Patriots.  It's astounding that securing the right veteran QB wasn't priority #1 for Chicago.  Instead, they paid a premium on D'Andre Swift.

You certain Chicago didnt offer any of these QB a deal?

What makes any of those QB "the right veteran QB"?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, squire12 said:

You certain Chicago didnt offer any of these QB a deal?

What makes any of those QB "the right veteran QB"?

All I'm saying is that I find it VERY hard to believe that Chicago put forth a legitimate offer to a mentor QB, and somehow they all said no.  Again, if you want it and are willing to throw money at them, they'll come.

15 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

As posted above, you sure deals weren't offered? Better yet of that list, please tell who Caleb Williams of all people (his Daddy, his Camp, his Ego)  is going to say, Yes you are the mentor I should listen too as a Rookie? Show me the way!

Famous Jameis?

Mason Rudolph?

Jimmy G?

Marcus Mariota?

Are any of those QB's seriously as a Organization the player you want "Mentoring" Caleb Williams?

Edited by Nabbs4u
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

It is kind of odd really.  I mean, they've got the #1 Pick and it's pretty clear the guy they take isn't going to be sitting.  So it's purely a backup and mentoring gig.  Whereas Washington, New England, Vegas all have at least some plausible opportunity for the veteran stopgap to get some games in, if not more.  But it's still weird that they haven't bothered to go out and at least find someone for that clipboard holding role.  Someone who has been around and been through a lot of things, different systems, situations, etc.

Tannehill and Gabbert are both still out there though, as is Wentz.  Any one of those three would probably do the trick.  But if you're someone like Gabbert...do you not also kind of want to just stay in KC and collect more rings?  Tannehill may still want one last chance at some starts...though i think that ship has probably sailed on anywhere that isn't Denver.  Wentz...it's still not really clear how useful he'd actually be as a veteran mentor.

1 hour ago, Nabbs4u said:

As posted above, you sure deals weren't offered? Better yet of that list, please tell who Caleb Williams of all people (his Daddy, his Camp, his Ego)  is going to say, Yes you are the mentor I should listen too as a Rookie? Show me the way!

Famous Jameis?

Mason Rudolph?

Jimmy G?

Marcus Mariota?

Are any of those QB's seriously as a Organization the player you want "Mentoring" Caleb Williams?

The answer is clearly Matty Ice. He is a mentor Tue-Sat, then doesn't dress and gets to stay in the booth on Sundays since he seems to really enjoy that job.

Honestly I would be fine with Wentz or Tannehill being a mentor and QB2, I actually preferred Tyrod as the mentor since he has a level of mobility that works well with one of the top two rookie QBs. But my top choice overall would have been Flacco, and I'd have been happy to pay him his 'premium' for taking on the role.

If someone was going to be QB3 behind Williams/Maye and Bagent then Hoyer and Gabbert have a lot of time in the league and both have 40+ starts in the league, and both have been under some highly rated HCs and playcallers. Maybe they have some insights that help the young guys even if you would dread either taking a snap in a game.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I actually preferred Tyrod as the mentor since he has a level of mobility that works well with one of the top two rookie QBs.

Incredibly underrated as a backup/mentor type. I'm a fan.

• Like 1

Chicago probably should or should’ve signed a decent backup/vet, but I’m not going to sit here and pretend like I’m baffled that they haven’t. Like, it’s something they should do, but not something that’s going to cripple them. It is what it is. Plus, there’s still time and some guys out there. They go out and sign Tannehill, this conversation is a nothing burger. 

Also important to bear in mind that the Bears drafting Caleb with Moore/Allen/Kmet/Swift is different than the Patriots drafting Maye/McCarthy/Daniels with DaMario Douglas/JJSS/Henry/Stevenson…Caleb’s the better prospect, is viewed as more pro ready than any of the others, and will be working into a better offensive situation than most of the other rookie QBs. Chicago has more talent offensively and is playing less of the long game.

12 hours ago, Tugboat said:

It is kind of odd really.  I mean, they've got the #1 Pick and it's pretty clear the guy they take isn't going to be sitting.  So it's purely a backup and mentoring gig.  Whereas Washington, New England, Vegas all have at least some plausible opportunity for the veteran stopgap to get some games in, if not more.  But it's still weird that they haven't bothered to go out and at least find someone for that clipboard holding role.  Someone who has been around and been through a lot of things, different systems, situations, etc.

Washington and New England are almost assuredly going to take a QB at 2 and 3 respectively.  And they're going to transition to them sooner rather than later.  It's the exact same situation.  LIS, if you throw money at a player, they'll come.  It might be an overpay, but for me that's the way to go if you're the Bears.  Expecting Tyson Bagnet to show him the way just seems wrong.

6 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Expecting Tyson Bagnet to show him the way just seems wrong.

I don't think that's the goal at all. Its only March and they have Bagent as QB2, but also have Rypien who has done nothing but be a back up to guys like Wilson, Flacco, Bridgewater, etc over his 5 years in. TBH I think they get a different vet in before TC but it is likely a guy who is QB3 behind Bagent but has been there for a long time. Hoyer or Gabbert are the most likely IMO. Both super cheap, neither is getting anyone beating down their doors, and unlike Rypien they have at least have more than 4 starts to their names.