What do you do if you're the Chicago Bears?

DigInBoys

3 hours ago, Duluther said:

As a Vikings fan, I can assure you TJ Hockenson was not and does not project to ever be a top 3 TE. 

Literally that entire first paragraph, sans the nuance, can be used to fit Kyle Pitts back when he was drafted.

I am not discrediting the purported upside and highlights of Bowers; the provided clips are good and all. But it's irresponsible to take such a gamble on a TE in the top ten given the general draft history of the position (which is bad at the top, yes) in the scenarion provided (i.e., Odunze, a tier 1-2 WR prospect, is available).

To balance out the pure positives your post has on Bowers specifically, the only specific critique I'll posit of Bowers is web chart:

Screenshot-2024-03-27-at-11-35-17-AM.png

Say what you want about his positives, again I won't argue he's not without them. But I don't think anyone can objectively claim Bowers has as few red flags as a prospect can have while simultaneously having such a limited web chart.

I think if you're looking at him as a base TE then yeah, there's concerns about height. weight, etc. But he is not going to be sticking his hand in the dirt for the majority of his plays. I think most of his role will be standing, basically a big WR more than a traditional TE. I'm sure if you did a RAS card for him he would be elite for size too as a WR while being underwhelming as a TE. And just using WRs he is in the 79th percentile for height, 99th for weight, 67th for hand size, 66th for arms length, etc. FWIW I also am a big proponent of using Johnny Wilson (who physically is superior to Bowers on almost any measurable) as a WR/move TE hybrid as well. But from what they do on the field there is a reason Bowers is going in the 1st and Wilson isn't coming close to it.

Need to know how to utilize them best, and that is where I have concerns for Bowers going to CHI. Waldron is a clear upgrade from Getsy but will he properly utilize him and Kmet? I'd run an 11/12 personnel hybrid for my base using Bowers as either a big WR or move him around on the line. Essentially a Gronk/Hernandez role between the two. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, tyler735 said:

I hope you’re right I want him to slide to pick #14…

I think its pretty likely he falls out of the top 10.  Based on the rookie wage scale, if I recall correctly, Bowers would already be paid in the top 10 of all TEs in the league if he gets drafted at 9.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Duluther said:

As a Vikings fan, I can assure you TJ Hockenson was not and does not project to ever be a top 3 TE. 

Literally that entire first paragraph, sans the nuance, can be used to fit Kyle Pitts back when he was drafted.

I am not discrediting the purported upside and highlights of Bowers; the provided clips are good and all. But it's irresponsible to take such a gamble on a TE in the top ten given the general draft history of the position (which is bad at the top, yes) in the scenarion provided (i.e., Odunze, a tier 1-2 WR prospect, is available).

To balance out the pure positives your post has on Bowers specifically, the only specific critique I'll posit of Bowers is web chart:

Screenshot-2024-03-27-at-11-35-17-AM.png

Say what you want about his positives, again I won't argue he's not without them. But I don't think anyone can objectively claim Bowers has as few red flags as a prospect can have while simultaneously having such a limited web chart.

I mean all that fancy "web chart" really says...is that Bowers is very smol and very fast for a TE.

Which is all pretty self evident just watching him.  Where, as mentioned above...it's not like he's going to be asked to be a true inline TE who handles major blocking responsibilities.  At least, not if you're going to get your value out of him.  He's basically in that Jumbo WR mold as a move TE who will maybe be asked to make a few chips on his way out to run routes, maybe seal off the back end of a few plays here and there, etc.  But functionally just used like a big WR, maybe a little bit of H-Back/FB type stuff out of the backfield, probably even split out wide a fair bit.

It'd honestly probably be more reflective of Bowers intended role, to just chart him as a WR.  Where he'd weigh in 30lbs heavier than comparables and in the upper end for size all around.

That said, i really don't think he makes a lot of sense for the Bears as a pick.  They've already got a very good young ~Top-15ish all around TE, and brought in a decent enough TE2 as a FA.

I think it makes a lot more sense for the Bears to spend that pick (or trade down a bit and try to recoup a 2nd or extra 3rd or something) to grab some fresh meat for that OLine to put in front of Caleb.  Weapons are great, but he's already got a full slate of them...and they won't mean much if he's being chased around and laying on his back all the time.  They're in a decent range or should have options to move down a bit for even better value, to grab some really quality young OLine talent to bolster what they have.

Or just keep building that defense so Caleb isn't asked to win shootouts as a rookie.  Depending on the talent that's there when they pick.

Bears O-line is mostly decent. The tackles are good with some upside from Wright. Jenkins is a very good LG though he has an injury history. Patrick was terrible at center and has been replaced by Shelton/Bates. Davis is probably a below average (and expensive) RG. 

So they aren't going to use pick 9 for an interior O-lineman. I'd guess the edge opposite Sweat is the most likely choice at 9 if there isn't a trade down. 

Bowers is around the same height/weight as George Kittle, Sam Laporta, Dalton Kincaid, and Trey McBride. Sure his main usage will be as a receiver and threat with the ball in his hands, but it would be disingenuous to say he can’t be used as a blocker in a similar way that George Kittle has shown they are both around 6’3” 245lbs. Bowers has shown he has the strength and physicality needed to more than hold his own as a blocker when asked to with Georgia.

Edited by tyler735
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

But how does that relate to the Caleb Williams "just watch" comment?

I think he was referring to the people who dislike/are rooting against Caleb because of the whole painting nails thing. There's a lot of people who see that a project a lot of negative qualities solely based on stereotypes around it. Of course that implies that no one could possibly think Caleb will bust outside of 'character issues' (or that you were merely joking with Bears fans/hype, I don't know your eval). Definitely hanging out a bit too much online/reached on that one.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2024 at 9:58 PM, Teen Girl Squad said:

I think he was referring to the people who dislike/are rooting against Caleb because of the whole painting nails thing. There's a lot of people who see that a project a lot of negative qualities solely based on stereotypes around it. Of course that implies that no one could possibly think Caleb will bust outside of 'character issues' (or that you were merely joking with Bears fans/hype, I don't know your eval). Definitely hanging out a bit too much online/reached on that one.

Yeah, I just think he has weird energy, seems overly emotional in the ways one wouldn't want at QB, allegedly(?) has weird demands about ownership, has a weird dad, is on the smaller side, has a good but not great arm...

TL;DR 💅