What do you do if you're the Chicago Bears?

DigInBoys

On 3/27/2024 at 8:23 PM, TankWilliams said:

Based on the rookie wage scale, if I recall correctly, Bowers would already be paid in the top 10 of all TEs in the league if he gets drafted at 9.

Number 9 overall makes $23.5M over four years (as of 2023). Puts him outside the top 20 in AAV. 

Also worth noting that even being 20th is pretty modest value for a starting caliber TE. Puts him around Juwan Johnson, Mo Alie-Cox, and Will Dissly. Less than half of the 8-9-10 guys (Njoku, Kmet, and Schultz).

On 3/28/2024 at 2:05 PM, NudeTayne said:

Man, I'm so ready for Caleb to be a colossal bust.

He’s not going to be 

Hes going to be one of the top QBs in the league for the next 15 years if he stays healthy. 

If I’m Chicago I’m going receiver if one of the top 4 is still there. 

If not I’m going tackle. 

You can get a pass rusher next year or later in the draft.  Do everything you can to surround Caleb with more than enough talent so he can develop properly. 

If you get him right it’ll all fall into place. Free agents sign for less, players are more willing to be traded to your team when you’ve got a franchise QB. Just get him right and everything around him and watch unforeseen opportunities open up Chicago. 

• Like 6

10 hours ago, General Tso said:

You know, it'd be an interesting question if Chicago only had #9 without #1. 

Would they have kept Fields? Try to trade with Arizona for QB4?

I think they trade up for a QB honestly. They were only a few plays away from being a 10-7 team with a super inconsistent QB and no passrush prior to the Sweat trade. Poles doesn't have a hot seat, but if Flubby/Waldron wouldn't have the rookie perform at a decent level then they are out and the new HC inherits whovever the QB is.

Just my guess though.

7 hours ago, brownie man said:

He’s not going to be 

Hes going to be one of the top QBs in the league for the next 15 years if he stays healthy. 

If I’m Chicago I’m going receiver if one of the top 4 is still there. 

If not I’m going tackle. 

You can get a pass rusher next year or later in the draft.  Do everything you can to surround Caleb with more than enough talent so he can develop properly. 

If you get him right it’ll all fall into place. Free agents sign for less, players are more willing to be traded to your team when you’ve got a franchise QB. Just get him right and everything around him and watch unforeseen opportunities open up Chicago. 

I hope so. It would be a nice change.

As a Bears fan I wanted to say to hell with defense, just load up the offense and give Fields the best chance of developing, but I also wasn't wanting a defensive HC either and wanted Nagy fired before he was even drafted. HIs coach of the year award was 90% thanks to Fangio propping him up, he was mediocre at best in his best year.

I'd rather my QB be able to compete in shootouts and developing that confidence than being scared to turn the ball over. If I am going to lose I want to lose 30-28 rather than 13-10. You can build a defense around a QB, but as my Bears have proven unless you can build a dominant defense you are only seeing the playoffs every 4 years or so with crap QBs.

• Like 2

On 4/4/2024 at 11:59 AM, General Tso said:

You know, it'd be an interesting question if Chicago only had #9 without #1. 

Would they have kept Fields? Try to trade with Arizona for QB4?

So in this Universe Carolina had a good year and that pick is like #10 or something.  

I don't think they would have picked up Fields 5th year option regardless.  

That bumps WA to number 1 and NE to number 2.

They are both taking QBs.   Lets say Caleb and Jayden Daniels. 

So they could trade up with AZ at 3 for Drake Maye.  9, 10 and 2025 2nd maybe?  Something like that.  Maybe they have to give another 1st in bidding war instead of 2nd.  

Or

They use both first rounders on making team better and give Fields one more go at it.  I am not sure Keenan Allen comes to play with Fields, but lets say he does.

Lets say first rounders are 9 Odunze and 10 Verse.  

Honestly, I could go either way.   

I probably lean more toward trading up for Maye. 

As a Bears fan I'd try to trade #1 spot with the Vikings. 

I'd grab their 2 1st round picks this year, their 2nd and 3rd round this year. 

Also Danielle Hunter and next years 1st. 

With one of those 1st rounders grab Michael Penix Jr. Grab the Center from Oregon.  Trade back 10 spots from 9. Grab another second and draft the best available interior D Linemen. 

With our two second round draft picks the two best available offensive interior linemen. 

We automatically would have a top 3 defense. If not the Best defense. And a very young Offense explosive offense. Literally just good QB play away from being a legit SB Contender. 

Edited by mdonnelly21

13 minutes ago, mdonnelly21 said:

Gonna be impossible to acquire Hunter. Just saying. 🤷‍♂️ 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Nabbs4u said:

Gonna be impossible to acquire Hunter. Just saying. 🤷‍♂️ 

I just need someone to make it worth it to trade all the way from the #1 pick with a QB as touted as Caleb all the way down to #11. It's got to be worth at least what we got last year from 1 to 9. 

2 hours ago, mdonnelly21 said:

I just need someone to make it worth it to trade all the way from the #1 pick with a QB as touted as Caleb all the way down to #11. It's got to be worth at least what we got last year from 1 to 9. 

Unless it's a RGIII type package at no point should you trade out of the top 3. The concensus Top 3 QB are there for a reason. The Bears need to draft one of them or what was the point of giving away Fields?

I'm not saying Penix or Nix suck but both have concerns and neither considered a Top 10 type QB (#11). No reason to get cute. Just make sure you don't F-up taking the wrong QB of the 3 while also nailing pick #9.

40 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Unless it's a RGIII type package at no point should you trade out of the top 3. The concensus Top 3 QB are there for a reason. The Bears need to draft one of them or what was the point of giving away Fields?

I'm not saying Penix or Nix suck but both have concerns and neither considered a Top 10 type QB (#11). No reason to get cute. Just make sure you don't F-up taking the wrong QB of the 3 while also nailing pick #9.

I doubt we are doing what I suggest. I'm just saying we sure could be a legit power house with this #1 pick. 

But I'm almost certain we are going Caleb

On 4/5/2024 at 7:42 PM, mdonnelly21 said:

With one of those 1st rounders grab Michael Penix Jr. Grab the Center from Oregon.  Trade back 10 spots from 9. Grab another second and draft the best available interior D Linemen. 

With our two second round draft picks the two best available offensive interior linemen. 

We automatically would have a top 3 defense. If not the Best defense. And a very young Offense explosive offense. Literally just good QB play away from being a legit SB Contender. 

Oof. I hate this.

On 4/5/2024 at 11:51 PM, Nabbs4u said:

I mean the top 3 guys all have their concerns as well.  Fit and situation will matter.  I don't think Williams is the slam dunk a lot of people do.