Raiders to hire Luke Getsy as OC

43 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

1. What was he supposed to do? ignore him & just calls what he wants?

Not to be that guy, but what he did do was apparently only call the plays Eberflus wanted, and it got him unceremoniously fired. If Eberflus fired him for going off script, the end result remains the same. Getsy had to know he was on the hot seat, it wasn't a secret, and he kept doing the same things that were very clearly not working. Idk man, if I were coaching and knew I was almost assuredly getting fired because doing what I was told was very clearly not working, I'd pretty openly go off script and let it be known the previous results weren't my doing. At least then you either succeed and keep your job or have plausible deniability via having to change the offense on the fly. As it stands, Getsy gets the benefit of neither. 

I mean, here's the question- Was Matt Eberflus walking over to Luke Getsy on the sideline each and every play and directly telling him what play to run? The answer is no. Luke Getsy had opportunity to make play calls and add wrinkles to prove himself, and he didn't.

If someone is going to claim that all these HCs are directly meddling with the other side of the ball, micromanaging the hell out of it down to the specific schematic designs and direct playcalling, causing all of these OCs and DCs to look like garbage, I can buy it- but I want hard proof of it beforehand. It's not like Luke Getsy is going to say "I sucked at my job and didn't tailor my offense to my players' best abilities.". 

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

Not to be that guy, but what he did do was apparently only call the plays Eberflus wanted, and it got him unceremoniously fired. If Eberflus fired him for going off script, the end result remains the same. Getsy had to know he was on the hot seat, it wasn't a secret, and he kept doing the same things that were very clearly not working. Idk man, if I were coaching and knew I was almost assuredly getting fired because doing what I was told was very clearly not working, I'd pretty openly go off script and let it be known the previous results weren't my doing. At least then you either succeed and keep your job or have plausible deniability via having to change the offense on the fly. As it stands, Getsy gets the benefit of neither. 

I mean, here's the question- Was Matt Eberflus walking over to Luke Getsy on the sideline each and every play and directly telling him what play to run? The answer is no. Luke Getsy had opportunity to make play calls and add wrinkles to prove himself, and he didn't.

If someone is going to claim that all these HCs are directly meddling with the other side of the ball, micromanaging the hell out of it down to the specific schematic designs and direct playcalling, causing all of these OCs and DCs to look like garbage, I can buy it- but I want hard proof of it beforehand. It's not like Luke Getsy is going to say "I sucked at my job and didn't tailor my offense to my players' best abilities.". 

Yea but you dont obey knowing that youre going to get fired; you obey think that doing the opposite will get you fired 

9 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

Yea but you dont obey knowing that youre going to get fired; you obey think that doing the opposite will get you fired 

And if Luke Getsy thought his body of work was good and wasn't going to get him fired, he's a moron. 

If I was told to plant evidence by the US Attorney General because a case was clearly going nowhere, I'm saying no and building whatever case is to be built the legal way- job or not. 

Luke Getsy isn't a child under the thumb of a parent, he's a grown *** adult with, one would hope, some agency of his own. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

And if Luke Getsy thought his body of work was good and wasn't going to get him fired, he's a moron. 

If I was told to plant evidence by the US Attorney General because a case was clearly going nowhere, I'm saying no and building whatever case is to be built the legal way- job or not. 

Luke Getsy isn't a child under the thumb of a parent, he's a grown *** adult with, one would hope, some agency of his own. 

I just wouldnt have taken the bears job 

13 hours ago, Tank4Drake said:

Can Adams opinion honestly be trusted? Dude thought it was wise to leave Rodgers and a well-coached team for Carr and McDaniels. 

Carr vouched for Downing

Rodgers vouched for Hackett

A player vouching for a coach doesn’t mean anything to me. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Chali21 said:

Carr vouched for Downing

Exactly. 

I absolutely loved my high school LB coach. Dude 100% didn't have to let me play as the new kid. He did. He taught me a good bit about playing, and even when I switched positions, he'd pull me aside with advice. Stand up dude. Great teacher in the classroom as well. 

I would 100% vouch for him if I were on an NFL team looking for someone. I'd want him to get that opportunity. But it's personal, not the true merits, that drives that. 

Guys can succeed when they're vouched for. They can also fail miserably. It's not an indicator of anything. 

2 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

This is interesting 

Was waiting to see this. Love the TDL guys and especially Marcus Johnson’s break downs. Definitely not homers, always objective and evidence based in their views - so they will be calling it like they see it. 

There is certainly an argument that the scheme and some of the concepts they show marry up with the skill sets of the players we already have…

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I know AP is being facetious....I hope so, at least. 

But given how everything has gone down this hiring process, I wouldn't be surprised if his quote here really was all that went into our OC search. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chali21 said:

Carr vouched for Downing

To be fair, Rodgers only played four downs under Hackett with the Jets. More than likely, Rodgers would turn Hackett garbage into gold 

Im not sure how much DA vouched for Getsy but getting information from one of the best WRs the last decade can’t be a bad thing. Probably happens more than we think 

3 hours ago, raidersedge said:

Nothing we can do now. Just gotta hope it was all Justin Fields fault.

Put Fields in the number 4, have him change his last name to Carr, amd I guarantee you 1/2 of this forum will gladly say it was lol

• Like 1

4 hours ago, raidersedge said:

Nothing we can do now. Just gotta hope it was all Justin Fields fault.

It could've been a bad fit period. Or they were both bad. We'll see, just hate waiting.

In fairness I'm looking back at things I HATED at the time (Bill Musgrave, Kolton Miller, Tom Cable returning) and sometimes the gut feeling is wrong. Not often but it happens lol

• Like 2