Raiders to hire Luke Getsy as OC

I'm not as ticked off as most people seem. I'm willing to be open minded on how Getsy does. Fields is pretty bad at reading defenses and I have a feeling Getsy took blame for limited playcalling when he was probably trying to limit the number of things Field's needed to process. I'm hoping Mayer has a breakout year next year and I bet we get Tae the ball a ton again. 

• Like 5

I wonder how much the QB situation has cost us opportunities to bring in certain guys? I’m sure the lure of Washington being able to get one of the top guys was a big factor for Kingsbury. 

With the top 3 QBs almost certainly going 1,2,3 and out of reach for us and I’m guessing that with Jimmy’s wages limiting the FA options (can’t see us going Cousins for example), it leaves the second tier draft picks and/or bringing in a low tier FA as the most likely outcome.

And while I am open to drafting one of the second tier draft picks at 13 or trading into late 1st - it’s hardly an ideal scenario for an aspiring coach to come into.

With so many moving parts, teams that draft before you and the lottery of FA, there is no way the FO could make any promises about getting a specific QB for you to develop.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

This scratches the surface. 

After getting shat on early and often for hating everything about the McZeigler era, I'm not impressed by anyone playing the "gotta see first" superiority card. 

The staff is here and they can do what it takes to win people over. But the days of trusting objectively questionable moves and giving benefit of doubt to said objectively questionable moves are long over.

I don't care what anyone says about needing to give it time- these weren't good moves. I'll give them time to prove me wrong, but make no mistake, their job is to prove some pissed off fans wrong. It's not on the fans of this destitute franchise to blindly support any and every move made with open arms until it gets impossible to continue to do so. This group is starting from a weak, shaky footing with me, and it's because of how they came together. 

Good points made. And certainly agree with the point you make about how this was constructed. Another example of a poorly planned and actioned process from start to finish. 

I do have some optimism however as I can see a decent roster emerging. While I was not blown away by the Telesco signing and feel it was because of the poor sequencing of the HC hire - I do believe that he will bring in some high quality players to improve the roster further. And I don’t think we have as many holes as we had in recent years going into the off-season.

Plus, there were some green shoots of progress with how the team were playing at the end of the season. 

The coaching and overall direction of the team is clearly a total question mark though and while we all hope it works out - I think it’s hard to argue that the moves they made are convincing enough to be 100% confident moving forward. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, OldManWillis said:

I get what you're saying, but I feel the Bears would have possibly kept him if they felt Fields was the issue. Especially since they could grab Williams. 

And Moore is one of those WRs that is going to produce no matter what. Look at his QBs in Carolina. It can be argued Fields is more talented then any QB he's had before.

When it comes to Getsy, the hire is just so blah. I'm hoping to be proved wrong, but the face value on this hire is what it is.

We the fans knew the OC hire needed to be a homerun, and this feels the opposite. 

Fair point. 

We all know the OC will be crucial as he’s going to be calling plays and I’m not a Getsy supporter by any means, I simply don’t know enough about a lot of these OC candidates to be sure.

• Like 2

Still don't like it, but it seems we will have to live with this...

He brings the McVay, Shanahan WCO scheme to the table. Outside zone will be the running scheme and the passing game with be play action based with crossers and the occasional deep throw...

Kolton and Dylan are clear fits on the OL. James could be a keeper if Parham is kept at LG (I think he has a better chance at LG in a scheme like this then elsewhere). Rotten, Elu and Munford were able to operate pretty well after Bo changed the run scheme to a more outisde zone during last year, so we could keep them around too...

Jacobs and Zeus are good fits.

Adams, Meyers, Wilkerson are prototype WRs for the scheme. Tucker could be our Tutu Atwell, while Renfrow seems to be the odd man out to me...

Mayer should be happy based on Cole Kmet's involvment.

QB is the obvious, big question. AOC has a better chance to succedd in this scheme then in the Air Raid. It could be important, since we might need to stick with him at least as a stop gap.

• Like 2

Just came accross this:

I am seeing a ton of people saying Luke Getsy comes from the Kyle Shanahan tree, or is going to run that system, but that's just not true of the #Raiders new OC. Getsy is more influenced by his time at Akron under Joe Moorhead. He was a QB for 2 years, and a Graduate Assistant for 2 years after that. IMO Joe Moorhead's spread offense has been a big influence on Getsy, who also runs this same system. Getsy does run more RPO/Quick game elements to his version of it. But you can expect a ton of shotgun for the Raiders under Getsy. After spending 4 years with Moorhead, Getsy left and a year later got his first official OC job at Indiana PA under HC Curt Cignetti. Curt Cignetti was the QB/TE coach at Pitt in 1998/99 and Joe Moorhead was a Graduate Assistant there as well, so likely Getsy was recommended to Cignetti, who also runs a spread system. In 2014, Mike McCarthy hired Luke Getsy as an assistant to the Packers. This may seem random, but it's not. Getsy worked for Curt Cignetti in 2011 at Indiana, and Curt's brother Frank Cignetti Jr worked with Mike McCarthy in 1989 at Pitt. And they always kept in touch, with McCarthy hiring Frank Cignetti during his time with the Saints, 49ers, and Packers. So McCarthy hiring Getsy wasn't random. This hire also likely had a big influence on Getsy's offensive approach. After McCarthy got fired from the Packers, Matt LaFleur did not retain Getsy, and Getsy joined Mississippi State. The HC at that time was Joe Moorhead who Getsy reunited with 10 years later. Getsy did come back to the Packers a year later, and spent 3 years with the Packers. Apparently Rodgers/Adams wanted Getsy back to help with the quick game/RPOs etc, before the Bears hired him as an OC. My point in all of this, is that although Getsy probably learned a little bit from LaFleur, he's more likely to continue to run things more out of shotgun vs a heavy wide zone scheme.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rolni said:

Still don't like it, but it seems we will have to live with this...

He brings the McVay, Shanahan WCO scheme to the table. Outside zone will be the running scheme and the passing game with be play action based with crossers and the occasional deep throw...

Kolton and Dylan are clear fits on the OL. James could be a keeper if Parham is kept at LG (I think he has a better chance at LG in a scheme like this then elsewhere). Rotten, Elu and Munford were able to operate pretty well after Bo changed the run scheme to a more outisde zone during last year, so we could keep them around too...

Jacobs and Zeus are good fits.

Adams, Meyers, Wilkerson are prototype WRs for the scheme. Tucker could be our Tutu Atwell, while Renfrow seems to be the odd man out to me...

Mayer should be happy based on Cole Kmet's involvment.

QB is the obvious, big question. AOC has a better chance to succedd in this scheme then in the Air Raid. It could be important, since we might need to stick with him at least as a stop gap.

Adams play for him so he’s OK with this, I am too

32 minutes ago, Rolni said:

Just came accross this:

I am seeing a ton of people saying Luke Getsy comes from the Kyle Shanahan tree, or is going to run that system, but that's just not true of the #Raiders new OC. Getsy is more influenced by his time at Akron under Joe Moorhead. He was a QB for 2 years, and a Graduate Assistant for 2 years after that. IMO Joe Moorhead's spread offense has been a big influence on Getsy, who also runs this same system. Getsy does run more RPO/Quick game elements to his version of it. But you can expect a ton of shotgun for the Raiders under Getsy. After spending 4 years with Moorhead, Getsy left and a year later got his first official OC job at Indiana PA under HC Curt Cignetti. Curt Cignetti was the QB/TE coach at Pitt in 1998/99 and Joe Moorhead was a Graduate Assistant there as well, so likely Getsy was recommended to Cignetti, who also runs a spread system. In 2014, Mike McCarthy hired Luke Getsy as an assistant to the Packers. This may seem random, but it's not. Getsy worked for Curt Cignetti in 2011 at Indiana, and Curt's brother Frank Cignetti Jr worked with Mike McCarthy in 1989 at Pitt. And they always kept in touch, with McCarthy hiring Frank Cignetti during his time with the Saints, 49ers, and Packers. So McCarthy hiring Getsy wasn't random. This hire also likely had a big influence on Getsy's offensive approach. After McCarthy got fired from the Packers, Matt LaFleur did not retain Getsy, and Getsy joined Mississippi State. The HC at that time was Joe Moorhead who Getsy reunited with 10 years later. Getsy did come back to the Packers a year later, and spent 3 years with the Packers. Apparently Rodgers/Adams wanted Getsy back to help with the quick game/RPOs etc, before the Bears hired him as an OC. My point in all of this, is that although Getsy probably learned a little bit from LaFleur, he's more likely to continue to run things more out of shotgun vs a heavy wide zone scheme.

If true I can see the QB being Penix

8 hours ago, RaisinBran said:

I'm not as ticked off as most people seem. I'm willing to be open minded on how Getsy does. Fields is pretty bad at reading defenses and I have a feeling Getsy took blame for limited playcalling when he was probably trying to limit the number of things Field's needed to process. I'm hoping Mayer has a breakout year next year and I bet we get Tae the ball a ton again. 

Came here to say this. When your QB is just simply bad at being a QB, then there's only so much you can do as a play-caller to mask the player's inabilities on the field. Whether or not that was actually the case in Chicago (Fields being the problem instead of Getsy) simply remains to be seen. We won't know until the end of next season.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

The part I don't understand is the mechanics of fired HC salaries. I thought that when a coach is fired he gets the salary from the team that fired him and the team is off the hook for salary paid by the new team. It must not be that simple because why would Kliff care about his contract if his old team is footing the bill? He had guaranteed salary through 2026 from Arizona. There has to be a key piece I am missing there.

1 hour ago, RaidersForever said:

Came here to say this. When your QB is just simply bad at being a QB, then there's only so much you can do as a play-caller to mask the player's inabilities on the field. Whether or not that was actually the case in Chicago (Fields being the problem instead of Getsy) simply remains to be seen. We won't know until the end of next season.

I think this sort of speaks to why some people are highly puzzled by the hire. How is it any different than Bo Hardigree last year? 

Seems we hired a new OC with the same or worse results who had a more physically gifted QB to work with. 

We all know AOC is limited. We saw it. It wasn't like he was drafted with oodles of upside potential from a physical standpoint. 

Bo at least made some attempts to tailor the offense to AOC's limited strengths, whereas Getsy seems to have been hell bent on square pegging a round hole in Chicago. I think Fields is just a bust and not a good QB, but he has a ton of talent as a runner that Getsy didn't seem.to want to design the offense for. 

I mean, I can understand why Getsy wouldn't want to tailor the offense for Fields- it's not a long term, sustainable system in the making. But....point remains he didn't. We had someone who did- albeit to pretty middling-to-poor results. 

I guess the million dollar question is what benefit does Getsy bring that Bo wouldn't have?

Bo at least tried to tailor to strenghts. Bo has familiarity with the roster. Bo had a more limited QB to work with. Bo would offer some level of continuity. 

Getsy's resume isn't so out of this world to warrant him over Bo, imo. It's not like we went out and got a maestro OC. We got a guy who is practically a lateral move from a guy nobody wanted around long term. He doesn't appear to bring any bonuses to the table, but he represents a regression in terms of familiarity, continuity, and possibly tailoring the offense to suit our strengths. 

I expected a clear upgrade from Bo Hardigree, at the very least. If we indeed upgraded, right now the evidence shows we have done so to the most minimal degree possible. That, I think, it what has people irked by it.