Week 15 GameDay Thread: Titans (8-5) vs. 49ers (3-10)

KingTitan

9 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

As I've said all year, I want Robiskie out but can live with Mularkey as the head coach. With that said, I expect to win Sunday. If we go out and drop back-to-back games to sub-.500 teams when we were a near lock for the playoffs, I'm going to be awfully close to calling for Mularkey's head.

What is the point in firing Robiskie for calling Mike Malarkey's plays? We wont bring in a new offensive system; the entire reason we brought in Robiskie is because Malarkey wanted someone to run his offense. 

If we could actually bring in someone who had a reputation at running a spread offense and incorporate Malarkey's running game into it as a smaller portion, I would be more on board with this firing of the OC. 

We would have to extend Malarkey's contract in order to hire a decent OC, so we're probably looking at promoting from within. I hate both of those ideas. Extending Malarkey's contract is a Mariota death sentence.

I don't care if we fire Robiskie, because a new OC doesn't do us any good. There is a fundamental flaw in Malarkey's offensive scheme and he wants a lot of input on the offense. 

Give me a coach who knows how to use Mariota, not a coach who knows how to use a 2nd and 3rd string TE.

14 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

As I've said all year, I want Robiskie out but can live with Mularkey as the head coach. With that said, I expect to win Sunday. If we go out and drop back-to-back games to sub-.500 teams when we were a near lock for the playoffs, I'm going to be awfully close to calling for Mularkey's head.

Especially if he has another week of questionable decision making (the fake punt, going to Adoree on 4th down, playing Henry 13 plays compared to 44 for Murray, just to name a few).

1 hour ago, TitanSS said:

What is the point in firing Robiskie for calling Mike Malarkey's plays?

See, I just don't really know if this is the case. This isn't the same offense Mularkey ran when he was the OC in Atlanta. Admittedly, he's always been run-heavy, but the TE utilization wasn't even close to as crazy high as it is here (leading TE in 2008 for the Falcons had 23 targets, while Roddy White had the ball thrown to him 150 times). The same thing can be said about his time when he was HC of the Bills. Mark Campbell had 30 targets as the team's leading tight end while Eric Moulds and Lee Evans combined for 226. Even the 2012 Jaguars, who were terrible, only had one tight end with over 10 targets and had Justin Blackmon and Cecil Shorts total over 230 targets. In fact, their No. 2 tight end was only on the field on 19% of the snaps.

His offense has never been this tight end heavy or this receiver light. In fact, he's seemingly always spotlighted a true No. 1 receiver (I genuinely wonder if this was originally the plan for Davis before the hamstring). I think the combination of a head coach that certainly does want to run the football being paired with an offensive coordinator with an archaic scheme is what is holding the team back more than anything. I wish we'd get a chance to see what the offense would look like with Mularkey calling plays.

I know it's easy to just call Robiskie "Mularkey's guy" and assume that Terry is just running the offense Mike tells him to. But nothing about Mularkey's past really indicates that we're running his offense. Which yeah, you may be able to argue that it's worse that he's watching a flailing offense in a system that isn't really his and hasn't done more to make changes.

30 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

See, I just don't really know if this is the case. This isn't the same offense Mularkey ran when he was the OC in Atlanta. Admittedly, he's always been run-heavy, but the TE utilization wasn't even close to as crazy high as it is here (leading TE in 2008 for the Falcons had 23 targets, while Roddy White had the ball thrown to him 150 times). The same thing can be said about his time when he was HC of the Bills. Mark Campbell had 30 targets as the team's leading tight end while Eric Moulds and Lee Evans combined for 226. Even the 2012 Jaguars, who were terrible, only had one tight end with over 10 targets and had Justin Blackmon and Cecil Shorts total over 230 targets. In fact, their No. 2 tight end was only on the field on 19% of the snaps.

His offense has never been this tight end heavy or this receiver light. In fact, he's seemingly always spotlighted a true No. 1 receiver (I genuinely wonder if this was originally the plan for Davis before the hamstring). I think the combination of a head coach that certainly does want to run the football being paired with an offensive coordinator with an archaic scheme is what is holding the team back more than anything. I wish we'd get a chance to see what the offense would look like with Mularkey calling plays.

I know it's easy to just call Robiskie "Mularkey's guy" and assume that Terry is just running the offense Mike tells him to. But nothing about Mularkey's past really indicates that we're running his offense. Which yeah, you may be able to argue that it's worse that he's watching a flailing offense in a system that isn't really his and hasn't done more to make changes.

I mean you didn't even need to do this research. Robiskie himself has said Mularkey is upset with what he's doing.

Why Mularkey hasn't just taken over is a little beyond me.

That being said, the chances of Robiskie being here after this season is over are somewhere between slim and none, IMO.

36 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

I mean you didn't even need to do this research. Robiskie himself has said Mularkey is upset with what he's doing.

Why Mularkey hasn't just taken over is a little beyond me.

That being said, the chances of Robiskie being here after this season is over are somewhere between slim and none, IMO.

Yeah, I probably could have just pulled some quotes. But once I got rolling, I was curious to see just how far apart our offense has been compared to what Mularkey has ran in the past. To be honest, I was legitimately surprised by the massive difference in tight end utilization.

1 hour ago, titans0021 said:

i mean, if this is the case, then.....why is it still happening? surely mularkey can see what's happening on the field, right?

25 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

i mean, if this is the case, then.....why is it still happening? surely mularkey can see what's happening on the field, right?

Yes, and per Robiskie, has complained to him and wants it changed.

Why Mularkey hasn't forced change is questionable. Per King's inside guy, he was considering firing Robiskie at mid season(or around there).

Maybe doesn't want any in-team drama? Maybe has too much respect/love for Robiskie to just pull it from him in the middle of a season? Maybe a promise from Robiskie to change that he hasn't come through on? Maybe Robinson asked him to wait til this next off-season to make any major changes? Maybe Mularkey holding on to false hope that the o-line just starts taking over games again?

No idea. Slightly frustrating to say the least though.

1 hour ago, -Hope- said:

That, as TL said, is my real question. He had clear opportunities during the bye and after the Steelers game to take some control over the offense and seemingly has failed to do so. Which is a real shame, because if he had taken over play calling we could've seen what his offense looked like and I could either say I want to keep him or I want him out with a whole lot more certainty.

1 hour ago, titans0021 said:

Which is a real shame, because if he had taken over play calling we could've seen what his offense looked like and I could either say I want to keep him or I want him out with a whole lot more certainty.

well....maybe that's the reason. lol

33 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

I can think of far more failures from those who call plays at HC than I can successes, so could be.

yeah, really the only conceivable reason i can think of is he doesn't want to call plays himself and he doesn't trust michael to do it, so he's just kinda stuck...but come on. at this point, with the personnel we have on offense, it can't get a whole lot worse.

1 minute ago, -Hope- said:

yeah, really the only conceivable reason i can think of is he doesn't want to call plays himself and he doesn't trust michael to do it, so he's just kinda stuck...but come on. at this point, with the personnel we have on offense, it can't get a whole lot worse.

Could be he wants to get rid of Michael in the off-season too? Would feel kinda unfair to blame Michael for all of Mariota's issues given the injuries, but who knows.

I dunno at this point. I have to imagine he understands that he's not gonna be here past next year if he doesn't find a better play caller though. I would be absolutely shocked if Robiskie is offensive coordinator next year.

On 12/15/2017 at 9:12 PM, TheMonarch1110 said:

Apparently the 49ers oline has been bad, has injuries and Grap has been taking a good amount of hits. We have 20 sacks in the past 3 games. Hopefully we can terrorize him and that'll be the difference in this game to help us win big.

Titans will go at Zane Beadles if they're smart.

20 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

We need some scoop from kings guy of a guy

Been quiet from him, other than some of his personal feelings that are truly rumor. Last I heard few weeks back that Murlakey wasn't happy with how things have unfolded with the offense. With those little things combined.  I can't imagine this offense not seeing changes to the offensive staff. 

Archived