Week 15 GameDay Thread: Titans (8-5) vs. 49ers (3-10)

KingTitan

2 hours ago, titans0021 said:

http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/nfl/titans/2017/12/17/titans-report-card-marcus-mariota-passing-offense-snap-life-but-cant-finish-49-ers/954619001/

Is this real? Because God I hope that the first spark we've seen from the offense in weeks came when the calls were taken out of Robiskie's hands and left up to Marcus to call what he's comfortable with.

Not sure whether to laugh or cry..

2 hours ago, titans0021 said:

http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/nfl/titans/2017/12/17/titans-report-card-marcus-mariota-passing-offense-snap-life-but-cant-finish-49-ers/954619001/

Is this real? Because God I hope that the first spark we've seen from the offense in weeks came when the calls were taken out of Robiskie's hands and left up to Marcus to call what he's comfortable with.

It's been noted several times by Mularkey that Mariota calls the plays in no huddle, so yeah, it's true.

7 minutes ago, TwoToneBlue said:

Not sure whether to laugh or cry..

There's a real chance that I'm not being fair to Mariota here, but is it at all possible that he's simply too polite or willing to listen that he just hasn't talked to or spoken up in a firm manner to the coaches about his preferences and comfort level? Because this offense should obviously be built around him and the plays that best suit his strengths, but I think it's safe to say that the play calling hasn't done that at any point this season.

Just now, TitanLegend said:

It's been noted several times by Mularkey that Mariota calls the plays in no huddle, so yeah, it's true.

Yeah, looked it up and that's definitely out there. I'd be fascinated to see his stats in no-huddle situations over the last two years and how they compare to his numbers when Robiskie is calling things. Sadly, I can't seem to find that information anywhere.

1 minute ago, titans0021 said:

There's a real chance that I'm not being fair to Mariota here, but is it at all possible that he's simply too polite or willing to listen that he just hasn't talked to or spoken up in a firm manner to the coaches about his preferences and comfort level? Because this offense should obviously be built around him and the plays that best suit his strengths, but I think it's safe to say that the play calling hasn't done that at any point this season.

Yeah, looked it up and that's definitely out there. I'd be fascinated to see his stats in no-huddle situations over the last two years and how they compare to his numbers when Robiskie is calling things. Sadly, I can't seem to find that information anywhere.

Tough to say, but based on everything that we see and we hear from coaches/players, I certainly think that's possible. 

My problem with that 3rd and 2 wasn't that it was a run... But that it was a run from that formation. We all knew they were going to run, regardless of formation... So bring Kelly, Stocker and Henry and freaking run it.

So many plays stand out... thoughnone bigger than... Delanie's dropped TD and fumble... Adoree's dropped pick... The horrible call by the ref on Walden's would-be pick... 3rd and 2...

Jimmy G tore our secondary up... Got worse once Ryan went out. The offense looked really good from the 1st half 2 minute drive on... But its like good defense and good offense can't match up for a whole game together.

Crazy... Even with a loss next week, we should make the playoffs with a win against Jax. We have the tiebreaker on both Buffalo and Baltimore obviously (were still the 5th seed)... So all we need is one of them to lose one more game... Any game, either team... 1 out of 4 chances... And we still back into the playoffs. Pretty ridiculous, right?!

16 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

My problem with that 3rd and 2 wasn't that it was a run... But that it was a run from that formation. We all knew they were going to run, regardless of formation... So bring Kelly, Stocker and Henry and freaking run it.

So many plays stand out... thoughnone bigger than... Delanie's dropped TD and fumble... Adoree's dropped pick... The horrible call by the ref on Walden's would-be pick... 3rd and 2...

Jimmy G tore our secondary up... Got worse once Ryan went out. The offense looked really good from the 1st half 2 minute drive on... But its like good defense and good offense can't match up for a whole game together.

Crazy... Even with a loss next week, we should make the playoffs with a win against Jax. We have the tiebreaker on both Buffalo and Baltimore obviously (were still the 5th seed)... So all we need is one of them to lose one more game... Any game, either team... 1 out of 4 chances... And we still back into the playoffs. Pretty ridiculous, right?!

Mularkey trying to escape 8-8 likeFrayedMajesticAfricanporcupine-max-1mb.g

Didn't get to watch the game and will not be using DAZN to watch what I missed. Horrendous is all you can say about this team.

Two very winnable games and lose both. Now we got two of the best teams in the NFL in back to back weeks. Yep here we go another 8-8 season and no playoffs.

The only thing that is good about this is if we go 8-8 and miss the playoffs there is no reason to keep any of the coaching staff. This whole season the team has regressed especially the offense and that is inexcusable. Going 8-8 would mean we have one less win than last year and we had a gimme schedule for most of this year.

Should we go 8-8 and miss the playoffs there should be no excuses. Mularkey and co should be fired. He is supposed to be the offensive coach and the offense flat out sucks. Worse record than last year and regression overall.

This could be what we actually need to be a better more consistent team for a long time. We need a real head coach and coaching staff, not Mularkey and friends.

Robinson needs to make the tough decision and make it happen should we lose out and miss the playoffs. Heck if we lose out and my some miracle make the playoffs he should be fired. Making the playoffs will do nothing for this team as the Titans will be one and done.

Make it happen Robinson, Mularkey and friends need to all go.

46 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

i don't even understand how anyone cares about playoffs at this point

on the off-chance we make it, we are 100% a 1 and done team

Not sure what hurts more, the fact that we are exactly what some of us feared we were, or the fact that some folks were so beat down over the years that they'd take a mere moment, a brief sip of water flowing from the river known as Playoffs, that'd they'd trade anything to just get to the playoffs and have a chance to be blown up nationally.

I mentioned the playoffs, ended that paragraph with the the comment "pretty ridiculous, right?". If anyone's going to comment on a anything, please make sure you finish reading and understand what is being said.

That paragraph doesn't mean I'm looking forward to the playoffs... Just being a realist here... And how likely the playoffs are even with our horrible stretch... even with a 3rd straight loss next week,  if we beat the Jags backups.

Its happened before... Rarely... But teams have fired coaches after a playoff season... I just dont see that happening here. That's the reality. And that's pretty ridiculous.

I doubt Robiskie gets fired before the season... But even if we make the playoffs, the most likely scenario I see is one similar to Munchack... Where Mularkey's asked to make changes, and he's gone if he refuses.

If at least that doesnt happen, its time to boycott the team again, no? If enough people stop spending money on the team, they'll get the message. 

1 hour ago, -Hope- said:

i don't even understand how anyone cares about playoffs at this point

on the off-chance we make it, we are 100% a 1 and done team

I wouldn't be so sure about that. I've come to accept that we are what we are at this point, just like most people in here. But if we were to make it and go against most likely either Jags or KC, even if I'm being completely pessimistic about it, I wouldn't with a straight face bet on either team beating us. NE and Pitt, sure, there's no way we're making it past them, but with Jacksonville and KC, I wouldn't rule it out. And frankly, we have both veterans and young players who could use (and some of them deserve it too) the sniff of a playoff game, let alone a win. As much as I'd like a regime change at this point, I just think it's a bit ironic that the people who complain most about still being stuck in that "8-8 and watch the postseason on TV" mediocrity, are the ones who'd rather have another year go to waste instead. Seriously, I'd even assume the possibility of seeing Mularkey gone (or at least some major coaching staff changes) increases if say we lose WC game in a blowout, rather than sitting out the postseason for good with a .500 record.

"I’d rather have Marcus calling the shots," Matthews said. "There’s proof in the success when that happens. I’d like to do no-huddle more. I know we’d all like to do it more. We definitely talk about it a lot. Sometimes we go into it a lot. Sometimes we don’t. This game we stayed in it, and I feel like we were pretty good when were in it."

I was impressed by how well they looked running it, too. I've missed most of the first half as I got home late, so basically almost all of what I saw was the no-huddle offense, and granted it looked like there were some communication issues at time, we burned out two TOs early in the second half, but it definitely felt like this could be the key to getting the offense more in rhythm. Top priority this week should be game planning around that and let them go out and execute it more.

Archived