Jump to content

2025 NFL Draft 7 Round ranking (Edited 6/29/24)


Ozzy

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Agree on Guyton but disagree on Beebe.  I think Beebe has the smarts, build, athleticism, etc to be a top notch Center.  I don't see how you can watch film of Beebe and not see how he could translate to Center very very well.

 

Hush BDL bias

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Ozzy said:

You do not think Wilson or Fields will win the QB job?  I assume one does and they pay him after next season, QB story is solved then for a bit.  I would be shocked if all next season goes by and they do not select one or the two moving forward as their QB the next two or three years.  Especially when both are better than freaking Carson Beck.  If Pickett did not do well in Pittsburgh not sure Beck would either.

I think the Steelers will sign one of them ( most likely Fields) to a short term contract and still draft a QB.  If Wilson does well I expect him to demand a big payday.

Kenny Pickett was a disaster and then paired up with Matt Canada it made it worst.  Pickett was never a 1st round QB and it was our retiring GM and idiot owner who over reached for him.  I think Beck is way better than Pickett in just reading defenses and making accurate throws but if you do not  think he is better than why have him in the 1st round?  He has already shown much more than KP did in his college career.  You might rank him lower because he is more of a pocket passer but all NFL QBs must be pocket passers eventually.

Now if we are going to go into Arthur Smith's 1990's style offense then it could be an issue for any QB but signing either Fields or Wilson to a short term extension gives them time to let a rookie sit and fix any mechanics.  The Steelers could trade up and get the QB they like.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Considering how early this mock draft is instead of complaining how high my team is picking I'll instead complain about how low they are picking and say that they should be at like #2 to get Deone Walker.  This way I can just dream of how great the team would be if they took a real reset year and be ready for the future.  Otherwise not a bad pick for the Saints.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/5/2024 at 5:51 PM, Ozzy said:

20. Jets: Carson Beck Georgia RS SR QB

No problem with taking qb in 1st but I feel like Beck is limited to one target.  Strong run, big OL and one target don't turn him into 1st round material. McCarthy had shown ability to turn away from one target in small size sample as a passer.  For Jets and Beck's sake, I hope he shows the ability in 2025.  Surely, he is at good age but I would like to have someone with better skill set to step in immediately in case of WTF event.

On 5/5/2024 at 5:51 PM, Ozzy said:

52. Jets:  Joshua Gray Oregon State RS SR OT

6th year player??? lol.   Got to love his not to rush to collect NFL money. Anyway, with him being taken by Jets, I have to except Jets to switch back to ZBS.  If so, Gray can be tried at LG or RT because Jets took Olu Fashanu in 1st round of last draft. I am cool with it.   However, once gap system is at least workable after 2024 I would expect Jets to retain Morgan Moses for one more season to roll with young powerful LG John Simpson.  Barring health situation, OL should be intact for 2025 with that system.

On 5/5/2024 at 5:51 PM, Ozzy said:

84. Jets: Yahya Black Iowa RS SR DT
91. Jets (via Detroit): Cody Lindenberg Minnesota RS SR LB 

Can't go wrong with Iowan linemen as a middle rounder.  Black is welcome but I do hope UDFA Leonard Taylor cleans up his skill tools under Jets coaching. Depth may be filled via next year's free agency or trade if cap room is permitted.

If Robert Saleh is still there then we just think Jets deploy 5 1/2 DB on field. 2 CB, 2 S, 1 NB and 1/2 LB.  That means LB needs to be smaller and quicker to be there. I just don't see Lindenberg in that defense.

On 5/5/2024 at 5:51 PM, Ozzy said:

116. Jets: Ashton Gillotte Louisville SR DE/OLB 

His name is now in 1st round buzz by SI.  I would be happy to take him in 4th round. lol.   Hassan Reddick's situation will factor the decision in regard of EDGE room. If he is gone, Gillotte with his NFL size can challenge Will MacDonald for larger amount of snaps in 2025. 

 

 

Riley Leonard is now playing for Notre Dame.  Unless ND step up in passing department, I don't see how will Leonard be taken by day 3.  Heavy run oriented offense and running QB?  Forget it.

 

I would expect Brady Cook to shoot up on the 2025 draftboard.  I would be happy to take him in 3rd round today despite his current draft value.. Strong WR room? so what because Michael Penix Jr went top 10.  Friendly offense? so what because Bo Nix went top 15. 2 ints against stiff defense? so what because both Penix and Nix suffered similar fate as well.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, JetsandI said:

No problem with taking qb in 1st but I feel like Beck is limited to one target.  Strong run, big OL and one target don't turn him into 1st round material. McCarthy had shown ability to turn away from one target in small size sample as a passer.  For Jets and Beck's sake, I hope he shows the ability in 2025.  Surely, he is at good age but I would like to have someone with better skill set to step in immediately in case of WTF event.

How does having a strong running game disqualify a prospect from being a 1st rounder? I don’t even like Beck, but your criticism of him is bizarre, to say the least. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

Agree on Guyton but disagree on Beebe.  I think Beebe has the smarts, build, athleticism, etc to be a top notch Center.  I don't see how you can watch film of Beebe and not see how he could translate to Center very very well.

 

How many great centers came into the NFL and never played center before?  Like really great centers.   Connor Williams is one of the few I can even think about currently who were new to the position and really he played that because the other positions did not workout for him.  And Connor Williams I would not call an all time great center.

 

Snapping the football is not that easy to do, especially in shotgun where what Dallas is in that formation what 80% of the time.  Sure possibly he could do it, still does not mean OG is not his best position.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, JetsandI said:

No problem with taking qb in 1st but I feel like Beck is limited to one target.  Strong run, big OL and one target don't turn him into 1st round material. McCarthy had shown ability to turn away from one target in small size sample as a passer.  For Jets and Beck's sake, I hope he shows the ability in 2025.  Surely, he is at good age but I would like to have someone with better skill set to step in immediately in case of WTF event.

6th year player??? lol.   Got to love his not to rush to collect NFL money. Anyway, with him being taken by Jets, I have to except Jets to switch back to ZBS.  If so, Gray can be tried at LG or RT because Jets took Olu Fashanu in 1st round of last draft. I am cool with it.   However, once gap system is at least workable after 2024 I would expect Jets to retain Morgan Moses for one more season to roll with young powerful LG John Simpson.  Barring health situation, OL should be intact for 2025 with that system.

Can't go wrong with Iowan linemen as a middle rounder.  Black is welcome but I do hope UDFA Leonard Taylor cleans up his skill tools under Jets coaching. Depth may be filled via next year's free agency or trade if cap room is permitted.

If Robert Saleh is still there then we just think Jets deploy 5 1/2 DB on field. 2 CB, 2 S, 1 NB and 1/2 LB.  That means LB needs to be smaller and quicker to be there. I just don't see Lindenberg in that defense.

His name is now in 1st round buzz by SI.  I would be happy to take him in 4th round. lol.   Hassan Reddick's situation will factor the decision in regard of EDGE room. If he is gone, Gillotte with his NFL size can challenge Will MacDonald for larger amount of snaps in 2025. 

 

 

Riley Leonard is now playing for Notre Dame.  Unless ND step up in passing department, I don't see how will Leonard be taken by day 3.  Heavy run oriented offense and running QB?  Forget it.

 

I would expect Brady Cook to shoot up on the 2025 draftboard.  I would be happy to take him in 3rd round today despite his current draft value.. Strong WR room? so what because Michael Penix Jr went top 10.  Friendly offense? so what because Bo Nix went top 15. 2 ints against stiff defense? so what because both Penix and Nix suffered similar fate as well.  

I believe Beck does have high level processing but yes is hard to really get a read on him because Georgia is so good on the OL, WR, TE and RB groups.  Will be interesting how he does this year with teams having more tape on him.  And sure Jets with a 1st round QB is not super likely but depends on how Rodgers looks this up coming year and how Travis looks coming off that injury. 

 

Gray I like and thought he could of came out this year, a little soft though and he will have to get stronger at the point of attack but he has great feet.  Also not sure he if transferred out of Oregon State or not with so many other guys leaving once Smith left as the coach.

 

I assume Moses and Tyron Smith will be one year and potentially out of the NFL.  So thus the reason to maybe go OL again, but sure if one of those two play well and stay in the league another year it is not as big of a need.  It is curious what they will do with Fashanu, honestly would not be surprised if he beats out Moses or Smith potentially for one of those starting spots but all depends on their health.  He was a great pickup and could be a great pro.  

 

Taylor and McGregor could be great UDFA pickups for them, I am surprised both did not get drafted because both showed enough I feel, especially Taylor for being a solid prospect for all three years he was in college.  He did disappoint this past year though, he had 1st round potential coming into the year but clearly did not have a very dominating season at all.  

 

Lindenberg true is not a super athletic backer if they need that but for a ILB he is very rangy and super active/smart.  But yes he would not be the typical mold and does have to show he can be healthy for a full season.  In terms of vision he is great and really finds the football, but yeah does not fit the athletic profile for that style of defense usually.  

 

So Gillotte has 1st round buzz?  I like him just not sure how dominating he can be but he sure is productive that is for sure.  And any super productive slippery pass rusher can sometimes rise up draft boards no question.  

 

Riley Leonard I like his athletic profile, and what team would not want a big large athletic QB who can move.  Sure he has to improve as a passer but if he does he could be very solid, and last year he was really hurt a lot so that hurt his game.  He could easily be a 1st round pick with a good year and Notre Dame does have some solid pass catchers returning, and again what team would not love a big strong athletic QB who is tough.  Brady Cook sure he could rise up but I feel he is helped greatly by Burden.  His arm is pretty limited though but he is a gritty player.  They took a lot of people by surprise last year, not sure that will happen again in a deeper more talented SEC now with Texas and OU.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Armbar said:

How does having a strong running game disqualify a prospect from being a 1st rounder? I don’t even like Beck, but your criticism of him is bizarre, to say the least. 

It can be moderately deceptive being on that good of an offensive roster, same could be said for McCarthy this past season..

 

Beck was on a loaded offense on Georgia last year, and that was with Mims missing most of the season and he was clearly a 1st round pick, so was Bowers who was a matchup nightmare and even he was hurt a lot of the year and a clear 1st round pick.  Then McConkey who was a 2nd round pick and even he was hurt at times last year, the center Van Pran was a late pick but could have easily been a 3rd or 4th rounder also.  Edwards and Milton were both UDFA players and now they have Etienne who is more talented than both but does have some off the field stuff to workout and Robinson is super talented as well as a RB.  Then next year Greene could declare early and be a 2nd or 3rd rounder I feel at OT, Delp should be drafted as well, Truss I like at OG or OT and should be a mid round pick, Ratledge the guard could be drafted and now they even have transfer Yurosek at TE who could be drafted with a big season.  Young the transfer WR from Miami has a chance to be drafted and Bell could be a really solid WR and Lovett could be drafted also. 

 

So what does Beck really have to do other than just get the ball out quickly to the playmakers.  Granted no Bowers will really show just how good Beck is, same with no McConkey at WR but Bell could have a real breakout season.  And sure helps having a solid OL across the board year after year, Mims was a first rounder this past year and Jones was the year before so pretty nice to have such talent on the OL like that.  They clearly got great depth and all of their weapons, sure both backs last year were UDFA guys but that is mostly because they shared time as do the WRs and even TEs and they really spread the ball around and that makes it very hard to defend and guys are always fresh.  Having two 800 yard rushers basically last year then having a true freshman beast have almost 200 himself rushing.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

It can be moderately deceptive being on that good of an offensive roster, same could be said for McCarthy this past season..

 

Beck was on a loaded offense on Georgia last year, and that was with Mims missing most of the season and he was clearly a 1st round pick, so was Bowers who was a matchup nightmare and even he was hurt a lot of the year and a clear 1st round pick.  Then McConkey who was a 2nd round pick and even he was hurt at times last year, the center Van Pran was a late pick but could have easily been a 3rd or 4th rounder also.  Edwards and Milton were both UDFA players and now they have Etienne who is more talented than both but does have some off the field stuff to workout and Robinson is super talented as well as a RB.  Then next year Greene could declare early and be a 2nd or 3rd rounder I feel at OT, Delp should be drafted as well, Truss I like at OG or OT and should be a mid round pick, Ratledge the guard could be drafted and now they even have transfer Yurosek at TE who could be drafted with a big season.  Young the transfer WR from Miami has a chance to be drafted and Bell could be a really solid WR and Lovett could be drafted also. 

 

So what does Beck really have to do other than just get the ball out quickly to the playmakers.  Granted no Bowers will really show just how good Beck is, same with no McConkey at WR but Bell could have a real breakout season.  And sure helps having a solid OL across the board year after year, Mims was a first rounder this past year and Jones was the year before so pretty nice to have such talent on the OL like that.  They clearly got great depth and all of their weapons, sure both backs last year were UDFA guys but that is mostly because they shared time as do the WRs and even TEs and they really spread the ball around and that makes it very hard to defend and guys are always fresh.  Having two 800 yard rushers basically last year then having a true freshman beast have almost 200 himself rushing.  

I mean, sure. But to just throw out a guy being a R1 QB because they have a good supporting cast? That’s a word that I can’t use here. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

It can be moderately deceptive being on that good of an offensive roster, same could be said for McCarthy this past season..

 

Beck was on a loaded offense on Georgia last year, and that was with Mims missing most of the season and he was clearly a 1st round pick, so was Bowers who was a matchup nightmare and even he was hurt a lot of the year and a clear 1st round pick.  Then McConkey who was a 2nd round pick and even he was hurt at times last year, the center Van Pran was a late pick but could have easily been a 3rd or 4th rounder also.  Edwards and Milton were both UDFA players and now they have Etienne who is more talented than both but does have some off the field stuff to workout and Robinson is super talented as well as a RB.  Then next year Greene could declare early and be a 2nd or 3rd rounder I feel at OT, Delp should be drafted as well, Truss I like at OG or OT and should be a mid round pick, Ratledge the guard could be drafted and now they even have transfer Yurosek at TE who could be drafted with a big season.  Young the transfer WR from Miami has a chance to be drafted and Bell could be a really solid WR and Lovett could be drafted also. 

 

So what does Beck really have to do other than just get the ball out quickly to the playmakers.  Granted no Bowers will really show just how good Beck is, same with no McConkey at WR but Bell could have a real breakout season.  And sure helps having a solid OL across the board year after year, Mims was a first rounder this past year and Jones was the year before so pretty nice to have such talent on the OL like that.  They clearly got great depth and all of their weapons, sure both backs last year were UDFA guys but that is mostly because they shared time as do the WRs and even TEs and they really spread the ball around and that makes it very hard to defend and guys are always fresh.  Having two 800 yard rushers basically last year then having a true freshman beast have almost 200 himself rushing.  

What did CJ Stroud do but hand the ball off and get it to his play makers?

 

you can watch any QB in college and see if they make accurate throws in tight windows and have a good arm.  Beck is accurate in tight windows and scans the field well for his progressions. He can throw the out with zip.  Is it an elite arm?  No. Is it a + level NFL arm?  Yes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, jebrick said:

What did CJ Stroud do but hand the ball off and get it to his play makers?

 

you can watch any QB in college and see if they make accurate throws in tight windows and have a good arm.  Beck is accurate in tight windows and scans the field well for his progressions. He can throw the out with zip.  Is it an elite arm?  No. Is it a + level NFL arm?  Yes.

True but there is also no freaking way he is CJ Stroud good.  Beck does not seem like he is as good of a deep ball thrower but then again it was only his 1st year as a full time starter.

Carson Beck, listed at 220 but looks way skinnier than that for some reason.  Does have a bit of an odd demeanor, and it will really tell how he does without Bowers/McConkey.  Also curious if he can push the ball down the field more instead of just throwing short quick passes and letting the guys get YAC.  Bowers alone had what 8+ yards after contact last year and he was hurt a lot last season.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

True but there is also no freaking way he is CJ Stroud good.  Beck does not seem like he is as good of a deep ball thrower but then again it was only his 1st year as a full time starter.

Carson Beck, listed at 220 but looks way skinnier than that for some reason.  Does have a bit of an odd demeanor, and it will really tell how he does without Bowers/McConkey.  Also curious if he can push the ball down the field more instead of just throwing short quick passes and letting the guys get YAC.  Bowers alone had what 8+ yards after contact last year and he was hurt a lot last season.  

I am not saying he is CJ Stoud but your logic makes it sound like any QB with a good supporting case like say Trevor Lawrence ( or any other QB that wins or goes to the National Championship) is suspect.  I am saying you can watch how they pass.  How accurate they pass.  Can they throw into tight windows?  All of those skills transfer to the NFL.  Passing from a pocket is great because you have to do it in the NFL.

Edited by jebrick
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I am not saying he is CJ Stoud but your logic makes it sound like any QB with a good supporting case like say Trevor Lawrence ( or any other QB that wins or goes to the National Championship) is suspect.  I am saying you can watch how they pass.  How accurate they pass.  Can they throw into tight windows?  All of those skills transfer to the NFL.  Passing from a pocket is great because you have to do it in the NFL.

True but Carson Beck is not this wow prospect that is like Matthew Stafford or something in terms of his arm talent.  There is a reason he sat on the bench behind Stetson Bennett for two years.  

Now maybe he will take yet another step next year and become this elite level talent but right now to me he is not a wow prospect, but still probably a 1st round pick and I do have him as one unless some other QBs out perform him.  Which will be hard to do because again he is on a loaded team that has tons of weapons to go to offensively.  It would be hard for a QB not to succeed with that group on Georgia behind that OL and with the WRs, TEs and Backs they have.  As long as you spread the ball around as a QB you should be fine and many college QBs would love to be with that cast Beck has next year.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Ozzy changed the title to 2025 NFL Draft 7 Round ranking (Edited 6/29/24)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...