2024 49ers offseason

49erurtaza

16 minutes ago, Forge said:

I think the fact that they re-signed givens bodes very poorly for Davis, tbh. But we'll see

They like to carry 10 defensive linemen. 

Givens, Bosa, Collins, Jackson, Beal, Floyd, Elliott, YGM, hargrave is already 9. 

Are we 100% sure they are keeping Elliott?  He's not very good. 

12 minutes ago, WhyAmIHere said:

Are we 100% sure they are keeping Elliott?  He's not very good. 

Over Davis? Yeah, I'm pretty close to being 100% on that. 

Its not impossible, but I think the difference has to be substantial. They didn't wait to sign Jordan Elliott. They signed him before FA opened. They gave him a 2 year deal rather than 1 year, and they gave him 3 void years, so he costs more to cut than to keep (not by a lot, so if he really does suck and get outplayed, they can move on).  Seeing how they set the deal in such a way shows what the team is thinking there

Elliott isn't good, but he has also played quite a few snaps the last two years and last year that defensive line was quite good.  I also don't know that he's ever missed a game due to injury. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Forge said:

Over Davis? Yeah, I'm pretty close to being 100% on that. 

Its not impossible, but I think the difference has to be substantial. They didn't wait to sign Jordan Elliott. They signed him before FA opened. They gave him a 2 year deal rather than 1 year, and they gave him 3 void years, so he costs more to cut than to keep (not by a lot, so if he really does suck and get outplayed, they can move on).  Seeing how they set the deal in such a way shows what the team is thinking there

Elliott isn't good, but he has also played quite a few snaps the last two years and last year that defensive line was quite good.  I also don't know that he's ever missed a game due to injury. 

I hear you. I just think they really need a young guy to pop in a big way, because on paper I just don't see it. Was listening to Dieter recently and he was down on the dline as well. 

I look at Detroit and they got three studs waiting to eat up our weak OL. While their powerful OL will probably eat up our DL. Maybe I'm just being too pessimistic, but I didn't like the Floyd or Elliott signings at all. 

8 hours ago, WhyAmIHere said:

This got me thinking...When was the last time the Niners drafted a corner who ended up really good?  Tarell Brown? 

Eric Davis???

EpS_XilU8AAXrF0.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WhyAmIHere said:

I hear you. I just think they really need a young guy to pop in a big way, because on paper I just don't see it. Was listening to Dieter recently and he was down on the dline as well. 

I look at Detroit and they got three studs waiting to eat up our weak OL. While their powerful OL will probably eat up our DL. Maybe I'm just being too pessimistic, but I didn't like the Floyd or Elliott signings at all. 

From the little of Davis I saw last year, I wasn't impressed. 

I felt them going out and signing Eillott was a indication that they kind of saw what I did.

Though I think Davis is more of the 3T mold and Elliott's skillset lends itself to more of a NT, right now Elliott is clearly the better player imo.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

From the little of Davis I saw last year, I wasn't impressed. 

He doesn't hold up vs the run for sure.  But as a 3T penetrator, he might be the most explosive guy off the line on the roster.  In the Eagles game he was actually kind of wrecking dudes on passing downs. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, WhyAmIHere said:

He doesn't hold up vs the run for sure.  But as a 3T penetrator, he might be the most explosive guy off the line on the roster.  In the Eagles game he was actually kind of wrecking dudes on passing downs. 

Forget what game it was but every time I noticed him; he was on the ground.

His base isn't strong enough to anchor imo.

Penetrating he's ok. His hands are still all over the place, but he has good acceleration in pursuit and initial quickness of the snap.

But when he needs to be stout in his gap versus the run, he just doesn't seem to have the core strength to stack and shed.

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 1

On 5/17/2024 at 10:02 AM, 757-NINER said:

Forget what game it was but every time I noticed him; he was on the ground.

His base isn't strong enough to anchor imo.

Penetrating he's ok. His hands are still all over the place, but he has good acceleration in pursuit and initial quickness of the snap.

But when he needs to be stout in his gap versus the run, he just doesn't seem to have the core strength to stack and shed.

I remember that game, but I think he was coming off a leg injury.  I didn't watch a lot of his college stuff, camp, senior bowl etc to know if it is something that is consistent, but it's possible it's the result of not building the full strength back up.

He was pretty bad that game though, he was getting washed really far out of the play.  

Drake Jackson's biggest flaw is he hits the ground a lot also.  With Bosa out there, we don't want guys on the ground. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Aiyuk and 49ers aren't close per Fowler. 

I think Aiyuk playing on the fifth-year deal is more likely now. The pressure is on the 49ers if he holds out. He won't miss any actual games, but Aiyuk being out for the entire training camp will hurt the offense and Purdy.