Texans OT Duane Brown holding out of Training Camp

ET80

A first round pick in 2008, Brown has been the mainstay on a Texans OL that has steadily declined as of late. Brown has two years left on his existing deal, both years roughly coming out to $9.5mm with no guaranteed money left to be paid out. The 31 year old OT was the best OL on a very depleted OL, and a Team Captain since 2011. His presence is key to a Texans offense that is breaking in two inexperienced QBs in Tom Savage and rookie Deshaun Watson.

The Texans have a history of not negotiating with a player until there is a year left on their contract - with the sole exceptions being DE JJ Watt and Texans Ring of Honor inductee Andre Johnson. (I just love saying that, don't mind me). The Texans also have a brewing contract situation with WR DeAndre Hopkins (who held out for a day last offseason). Next year, ILB Bernardrick McKinney and DE Jadevion Clowney are set for extensions as well, and both will look to command significant money to retain their services.

Do the Texans break protocol and secure their lynchpin on the OL with two years left on his deal, or do they let this play out until the start of the regular season?

1 hour ago, fretgod99 said:

Obviously, this is about contract stuff. But sometimes I wonder how much of this is also about veterans who don't really need to be at camp right away having a reason to not be at camp right away.

I think this happens a lot more then its given credit for. 

On 7/25/2017 at 0:12 PM, fretgod99 said:

Obviously, this is about contract stuff. But sometimes I wonder how much of this is also about veterans who don't really need to be at camp right away having a reason to not be at camp right away.

Only becomes an issue if they start fining him ... suddenly, he'll find that he needs to be in camp.

Archived