***SPOILERS*** Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi SPOILER Thread

Deadpulse

1 hour ago, sunnygsm said:

We don't know celebrities at all, so I don't agree with that comparison. We know Luke and his character. 

I don't like this argument of "Star Wars/OT never did this so it's fine". Is holding it to higher standards off limits because of it's past?

No, we don't, as evidenced by what we just saw in TLJ.

1 hour ago, Darth Pees said:

No, we don't, as evidenced by what we just saw in TLJ.

Nonsense. He's the main protagonist of three entire films. We have plenty to judge from leading up to when he tries to kill Kylo. The changes to his character come after that event. 

5 hours ago, sunnygsm said:

Nonsense. He's the main protagonist of three entire films. We have plenty to judge from leading up to when he tries to kill Kylo. The changes to his character come after that event. 

We knew his character 30 years ago. That gap is significant.

38 minutes ago, sunnygsm said:

No kidding. If you want to indicate that he's changed you put a scene in to show it. There's nothing like that, therefore what he did remains stupid. 

He didn't show it by being different? Every scene shows it. Not sure where you are going with this. 

Just now, Deadpulse said:

He didn't show it by being different? Every scene shows it. Not sure where you are going with this. 

You're not reading what I've been writing. Luke becomes a different man after he tried to kill his nephew, that much is obvious. We have no reference to his character, other than the OT, before that event. Him instinctively reacting to kill his nephew is so far out of character that it is not believable based on what they showed. Not just that, it makes no sense as an initial response for anyone. It's a flimsy sequence. I'm ok with what they do to his character after that sequence. 

4 minutes ago, sunnygsm said:

You're not reading what I've been writing. Luke becomes a different man after he tried to kill his nephew, that much is obvious. We have no reference to his character, other than the OT, before that event. Him instinctively reacting to kill his nephew is so far out of character that it is not believable based on what they showed. Not just that, it makes no sense as an initial response for anyone. It's a flimsy sequence. I'm ok with what they do to his character after that sequence. 

I don't think so. He had a momentary panic reaction that he immediately regretted. All that shows is that he is human and totally in line with his OT persona. He was always quick to react rashly without thinking things through, the difference is he now he does and doesn't follow through with the action. If anything its growth. 

9 hours ago, sunnygsm said:

That's the entire point, we think we know Luke. We've seen him in 3 films go from a teenager to a Jedi Master, so when we see a fatal flaw in him we refuse to accept it - as does Luke! It's the entire reason why he is so broken when Rey finds him.

14 minutes ago, sunnygsm said:

An adult human reaction is to draw a lightsaber on your sleeping nephew based on a vision? Ok. Plus he already had that growth in ROTJ when he wasn't goaded into striking Vader down. 

Fair, that growth took place where i thought about doing something awful to a family member but ultimately made the wrong choice. You did just point out the perfect instance that makes that in-line with Luke from the OT where he almost let darkness and fear push him to strike down a family member but didnt.

4 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Fair, that growth took place where i thought about doing something awful to a family member but ultimately made the wrong choice. You did just point out the perfect instance that makes that in-line with Luke from the OT where he almost let darkness and fear push him to strike down a family member but didnt.

But genuine growth would suggest that you learn from your experience. TLJ ignores that and has him repeat a similar, more egregious mistake. It undermines character growth that has been established. There is simply too much that doesn't make sense with this scene for me to accept it as is. The consequences of the scene I can accept. 

13 minutes ago, sunnygsm said:

But genuine growth would suggest that you learn from your experience. TLJ ignores that and has him repeat a similar, more egregious mistake. It undermines character growth that has been established. There is simply too much that doesn't make sense with this scene for me to accept it as is. The consequences of the scene I can accept. 

We are assuming growth there. There are no indications that this was a character flaw that he expunged, only that it happened and he resitted the initial urge, like he did with Ben.  

Archived