***SPOILERS*** Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi SPOILER Thread

Deadpulse

10 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

We are assuming growth there. There are no indications that this was a character flaw that he expunged, only that it happened and he resitted the initial urge, like he did with Ben.  

Yes there was. He sees right through it in ROTJ. That moment where he refrains from cutting down Vader is the growth. He overcomes his anger and any influence from the Emperor. In that moment he remembers that Vader can be redeemed, he breaks through those dark side tendencies. It is not assumed. 

1 minute ago, sunnygsm said:

Yes there was. He sees right through it in ROTJ. That moment where he refrains from cutting down Vader is the growth. He overcomes his anger and any influence from the Emperor. In that moment he remembers that Vader can be redeemed, he breaks through those dark side tendencies. It is not assumed. 

He did the same thing with Ben... so?

It is assumed unless we see him in a similar situation in which he isnt tempted at all, which never happens. 

14 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

He did the same thing with Ben... so?

It is assumed unless we see him in a similar situation in which he isnt tempted at all, which never happens. 

It makes the scene from ROTJ useless. It showed he had grown above his rash decisions. The logical assumption is that he learns from it. That's growth. 

Whatever the case, I think it's best that we agree to disagree. Debating the point further won't budge either side.

On 12/22/2017 at 12:03 AM, thrILL! said:

You’re overlooking one very important piece- Luke, who’s clearly the most powerful Jedi or Sith EVER as demonstrated in this film, was burdened with the future seeing how horribly evil Ben would become.  We don’t know how evil Ben already was at this point. We have no idea how long Luke had these visions or just how horrendous they were.  It’s the whole time travel/kill Hitler scenario.    

Ppl are acting like Ben was a sweet, innocent boy when Luke was going thru this.  Obviously, Ben was already far down the dark path as indicated by him immediately slaughtering his fellow students who didn’t obey him.  He didn’t just suddenly transform into this evil kid. Just like Luke didn’t plan all along to kill him.  It was never the first option as BroncosFan claims. It was a moment of weakness where he thought the ends might justify the means.  But he didn’t go thru with it.

Maybe Luke almost killing him set Ben off but Kylo Ren was inescapable.  

That's a good point. Perhaps the force was going to draw Kylo Ren to the darkside no matter what.

3 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

Just saw it today. Really loved the Kylo+Rey fight in the chamber against all the guards. Also Luke's fight.

Still processing a lot of things, but personally I think I liked it, an original story is a refreshing lift for the franchise.

The kylo/ren fight was definitely the highlight for me and probably the part I'll remember best. I thought the overall structure of the movie was weird though. I didn't dislike the humor but it did kind of bug me that they seemed to want to inject an unnecessary joke into every potentially dramatic scene. I'll probably watch it again and like it but I wasn't thrilled by it overall on the first viewing

Just now, Cakeshoppe said:

The kylo/ren fight was definitely the highlight for me and probably the part I'll remember best. I thought the overall structure of the movie was weird though. I didn't dislike the humor but it did kind of bug me that they seemed to want to inject an unnecessary joke into every potentially dramatic scene. I'll probably watch it again and like it but I wasn't thrilled by it overall on the first viewing

Some of the jokes seemed on point and brought levity to the situation, others seemed a bit forced.

Agreed with the fight highlight. IMO that's the defining moment in the movie for me, this connection between the two of them and finally teaming up.

Luke sliding under Kylo's lightsaber had me feeling like:
noyphh.jpg

If that was Luke 'dying' at the end of the movie though, count me disappointed. Dude can project himself across the galaxy, but then decides 'nah, I'm out anyway' seems like such a cop-out.

https://kotaku.com/the-last-jedis-porgs-are-just-puffins-which-the-film-c-1821485957

Everyone thought the Porgs, those cute lil’ animals from The Last Jedi, were basically space penguins. Turns out they’re actually space puffins, because Skellig Michael (aka Luke’s Island) is so covered with the birds that it was easier for the VFX team to just work with them than try and cut them out of the movie.

In a feature on Star Wars’ official site, creature designer Jake Lunt Davies doesn’t just share a whole load of concept art of the birds (which, this being Fine Art, is why we’re here), but also reveals their very practical origins.

“From what I gathered, Rian [Johnson] had gone to shoot this sequence on Skellig Michael, which is the real island location that stands in for Ahch-To, and that island is covered in puffins”, he told the site. “It’s a wildlife preserve and everywhere you look there are hundreds of birds dotted around the landscape.”

“From what I gathered, Rian, in a positive spin on this, was looking at how can he work with this. You can’t remove them. You physically can’t get rid of them. And digitally removing them is an issue and a lot of work, so let’s just roll with it, play with it. And so I think he thought, ‘Well, that’s great, let’s have our own indigenous species.’

Of course, it helps that they are going to be an easy marketing tool for kids, but saw a lot of people complain in the first few pages and just wanted to share that it was practical for the island that they were shooting on.

2 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

https://kotaku.com/the-last-jedis-porgs-are-just-puffins-which-the-film-c-1821485957

Of course, it helps that they are going to be an easy marketing tool for kids, but saw a lot of people complain in the first few pages and just wanted to share that it was practical for the island that they were shooting on.

This I didn't know, and this does make it better.

Driver is amazing. Think he really found his groove with Kylo Ren in this film.

I didn't like how similar the Snoke-Ben-Rey scene was to ROTJ. They get a pass for straight up copying plot points and directions in the first film, but it wasn't necessary in this one.

Luke/Rey willingly coming to the Death Star/First Order Ship with no intention to fight, having the utmost confidence in Vader/Ben making the right choice. Luke/Rey's faith is rewarded when Vader/Ben decide to turn on their master, Sideous/Snoke, last second. 

I think it was a great film, and most of my qualms are a matter of personal taste.

I was not a fan of Luke in this film. He was such a beacon of hope, the light side personified in the originals. Turning his back on the galaxy, thinking about killing somebody, that just doesn't fit his character. He was certainly a flawed human in this one, a real one, which some may prefer, but I had no problem with Luke being Star Wars' superman.  How he went out was so weak. If killing him off was needed, I like the idea of him doing it with one grandiose display of his powers, but not to just die from exhaustion/willingness? It was awesome seeing how strong he was, that he could actually project himself like that. 

We better get some more information about how Ben Solo turned to the dark side. His master trying to kill him may have been the final straw, but obviously he was already knee deep in the dark side at that point. Why?

I like that Rey is a "nobody"

Rey is the over arching main character no doubt, but so far each film has had a different main character too. In 7 it was Finn, while in 8 it was Luke (and Poe too, you could argue).

Not a fan of the excessive comic relief. Luke brushing the dirt off his shoulder after he walked out unscathed from the blasts was just unnecessary. 

Archived