***SPOILERS*** Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi SPOILER Thread

Deadpulse

On 12/24/2017 at 4:50 PM, Deadpulse said:

My roommate and I or on opposite sides of this opinion. I am with you, I saw no problem with Luke's depiction. My roommate read almost every piece of Extended Universe that has now been thrown out of cannon. Obviously that includes a TON of post RotJ Luke and who that guy is. What we ultimately decided is that EU fans hated this version of Luke and those who didnt read much if any of the old EU float on in blissful ignorance with the ability to take this Luke depiction at face value without it impeding on previous accepted cannon. 

I read most of that stuff. Enjoyed it, but also loved this movie. I like how it defied expectations and common tropes from the series.

2 hours ago, Beck Bristow said:

I read most of that stuff. Enjoyed it, but also loved this movie. I like how it defied expectations and common tropes from the series.

I'm opposite, read nothing but really didn't like how this movie went in a separate direction that the first did. 

Really my biggest problem is that if all this stuff is no big deal (Rey's parents, Snoke, finding luke) then I felt like the first movie wasted over 50% of itself spending time on it. You don't spend so much screen time on things that aren't important. Leaves me feeling like why did they even make half of TFA in the first place? Someone hit the nail on the head earlier, it just feels like they didn't have anyone who had  a master plan of the storyline molding the movies as they're being made, like Josh Whedon and MCU or as the Harry Potter movies had the books to refer to. 

16 minutes ago, NickButera said:

I'm opposite, read nothing but really didn't like how this movie went in a separate direction that the first did. 

Really my biggest problem is that if all this stuff is no big deal (Rey's parents, Snoke, finding luke) then I felt like the first movie wasted over 50% of itself spending time on it. You don't spend so much screen time on things that aren't important. Leaves me feeling like why did they even make half of TFA in the first place? Someone hit the nail on the head earlier, it just feels like they didn't have anyone who had  a master plan of the storyline molding the movies as they're being made, like Josh Whedon and MCU or as the Harry Potter movies had the books to refer to. 

Yea and the people who say that they took different chances with this movie. They really didn't. At least not with the characters who are more cliche then anything. 

3 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

Lets... no one respond to this. K? Thnx.

I'm sorry, but I think he's a little bit right.  I'm okay with the decision and I don't have a problem with Disney doing that, I just wish they would have picked a different actress for it.  I don't think there's a single complaint on the Internet about Rose if they would have switched the actress who played Rose with the actress who played Rose's sister, who died in the beginning of the movie.

5 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I'm sorry, but I think he's a little bit right.  I'm okay with the decision and I don't have a problem with Disney doing that, I just wish they would have picked a different actress for it.  I don't think there's a single complaint on the Internet about Rose if they would have switched the actress who played Rose with the actress who played Rose's sister, who died in the beginning of the movie.

Debating the actress on her merits is fine.

Speaking of Rose, I didn't have a huge problem with this, but did anyone else think it was funny that here she was a lolely blue collar worker "I never get to see rebelion heroes, I'm stuck working on pipes all day" and out of the blue she's a pilot. The rebels seriously need to re-evaluate their talent pool. 

1 minute ago, NickButera said:

Speaking of Rose, I didn't have a huge problem with this, but did anyone else think it was funny that here she was a lolely blue collar worker "I never get to see rebelion heroes, I'm stuck working on pipes all day" and out of the blue she's a pilot. The rebels seriously need to re-evaluate their talent pool. 

I mean tbh a janitor held his own against a sith apprentice in the first movie, so....

1 hour ago, RuskieTitan said:

I mean tbh a janitor held his own against a sith apprentice in the first movie, so....

A Sith apprentice who had just been shot by a blaster which we saw blow a couple Stormtroopers off their feet. 

I feel like the ending was changed... or something was changed. Think about it, the first half was all about taking the audience down the usual Star Wars tropes..

1. Find the McGuffin

2. I need your to train me! I dont want to train you. 

3. Mystery Parents

4. I can still turn the my foil! The foil might turn on their master.

5. You are not ready! Im going ANYWAY!

6. I AM SO CONFLICTED!

7. The Resistance is almost snuffed out!

8. Last ditch crazy plan might just work!

Then, All those a-typical plot points that seemed like they were about to resolve themselves were thrown out in the climax.

"BURN THE PAST, FORGOT IT ALL, BUILD SOMETHING NEW!"

Plan failed! Snoke Dead! Burn the down the old Jedi! Your Parents are nobodies! Resistance and Order can be deleted!

So new direction right!?

Nope, lets immediately follow that up with New Supreme Leader, Hoth 2.0 and rebuild the resistance. Only thing missing was Rey losing an arm.

I can see why some many are mixed and lacking excitement for installment III. If the pattern holds, Im guessing a retread of Return.

14 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

Yeah but he was battle-trained and even he more stalled than "held his own", seemed like a very uneven matchup.

14 hours ago, NickButera said:

Well, yeah.. they needed a female pilot. Capt. Cajones doesn't quite qualify, no matter how dreamy he thinks Finn looks wearing his clothing.

Rose was kind of a affirmative action decision if no one caught that. Black guy, white girl, asian girl, and what ever Oscar Isaac is. So theres balance there 2 women 2 guys all minorities fighting against 2 white male oppressors. 

I definitely noticed a ton of diversity in casting to a point that it almost felt forced, but then again the originals were so white that maybe its just the juxtaposition that caught my eye. I don't really think there is an issue with that. But Rose as an actress? Horrible. As a love interest? She had the same build as the Ugnaughts in Cloud City. And her writing didn't help at all.

I feel bad for Fin, he really is a better actor that the writing in this movie allowed. His entire plot was pointless.

I still think that the death of Snoke is my biggest gripe. I don't think Adam Driver is menacing in the least, just Emo. He isn't mysterious, he is a total known at this point. And I don't see a way that he isn't the top antagonist in E9. And that's really disappointing. Snoke was menacing, scary, mysterious. Aaaaaaaannndd hes dead. Ugh.

I truly cant believe someone who directed a movie as creative, crisp and well rounded as Looper was able to make this film.

Archived