***SPOILERS*** Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi SPOILER Thread

Deadpulse

14 hours ago, Desperado82 said:

A Sith apprentice who had just been shot by a blaster which we saw blow a couple Stormtroopers off their feet. 

Yea still think Ren should have just forced pushed him away. That's my only gripe with the CGI. All these wonderful eeffects and we can't dedicate more to displaying force powers? The difference in power as well? We some people fly across the room. Not impressive. That red guard battle was terrible. 

3 hours ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

I definitely noticed a ton of diversity in casting to a point that it almost felt forced, but then again the originals were so white that maybe its just the juxtaposition that caught my eye. I don't really think there is an issue with that. But Rose as an actress? Horrible. As a love interest? She had the same build as the Ugnaughts in Cloud City. And her writing didn't help at all.

I feel bad for Fin, he really is a better actor that the writing in this movie allowed. His entire plot was pointless.

I still think that the death of Snoke is my biggest gripe. I don't think Adam Driver is menacing in the least, just Emo. He isn't mysterious, he is a total known at this point. And I don't see a way that he isn't the top antagonist in E9. And that's really disappointing. Snoke was menacing, scary, mysterious. Aaaaaaaannndd hes dead. Ugh.

I truly cant believe someone who directed a movie as creative, crisp and well rounded as Looper was able to make this film.

Yea Adam's biggest problem is that he's not intimidating with his posture or voice. Really his entire demeanor, facial expressions. Everything. Really for Kylo Ren to be both conflicted and intimidating. This role required a William Dafoe type approach to be both. Had Driver been able to do that he would have been perfect for what Rian wanted to do with him. 

I find it really hard to believe everyone is writing this movie off without finishing the trilogy. Like it blows my mind. What if Snoke isn't dead? He even said the sentence "You can't kill me". Darth Maul was cut in half and that wasn't the end of him. We don't know where they are going with this, plain and simple.

And Adam Driver is the PERFECT choice for Kylo Ren. Just because Kylo is a more complex character than just the big bad guy who everyone fears doesn't mean he is a weak villain. He has more layers to him than probably anyone else in the franchise. Sometimes I think most people just wanted Darth Vader 2.0...

Although Empire had bad reviews at the time, so I guess you just can't win sometimes. I fully expect the third movie to be bashed as well because that's the cool thing to do nowadays.

3 minutes ago, JonStark said:

I find it really hard to believe everyone is writing this movie off without finishing the trilogy. Like it blows my mind. What if Snoke isn't dead? He even said the sentence "You can't kill me". Darth Maul was cut in half and that wasn't the end of him. We don't know where they are going with this, plain and simple.

And Adam Driver is the PERFECT choice for Kylo Ren. Just because Kylo is a more complex character than just the big bad guy who everyone fears doesn't mean he is a weak villain. He has more layers to him than probably anyone else in the franchise. Sometimes I think most people just wanted Darth Vader 2.0...

Although Empire had bad reviews at the time, so I guess you just can't win sometimes. I fully expect the third movie to be bashed as well because that's the cool thing to do nowadays.

It was in the movies.

9 minutes ago, JonStark said:

I mean, he didn't die though. Just because he wasn't shown again the movies doesn't mean he was dead. Here's his actual death.

So if he could survive being cut in half, why couldn't Snoke?

I'm guessing like 1% of people have seen this so that really wouldn't change any perception of the movies.

9 hours ago, animaltested said:

So new direction right!?

Nope, lets immediately follow that up with New Supreme Leader, Hoth 2.0 and rebuild the resistance. Only thing missing was Rey losing an arm.

On of my biggest issues. This film did new things, but didn't (may do in IX) capitalize on them. The status quo reverted to bad guys vs good guys. Same teams, new uniforms. 

Resurrecting Snoke could be interesting. It would explain his deformities. 

Adam Driver can only portray broody. He cant portray any other emotions, at least in my minds eye. And he is a very, very weak villain. I just cant stand him in this role and have disliked him from the get go.

OT: For some reason I keep thinking Cillian Murphy would have killed it as Kylo Ren, but he is probably too old. The rage he channels at times in Peaky combined with his naturally stoic look would be great, but he can shoot expressions of humanity through the stoicism instantly too. Probably a bit too serious an actor to consider Star Wars though.

I don't know if the lack of intimidation is an issue with Adam Driver, rather a trait of the character. It's hard to picture him as intimidating when he's so conflicted and susceptible to the light side. Until his motivations for pulling to the dark side are expanded upon it'll be difficult to see him as an intimidating villain. 

Edit: I don't think it's necessary for him to be intimidating to be a good villain. Out of control man child could work. 

1 hour ago, Bullet Club said:

I'm guessing like 1% of people have seen this so that really wouldn't change any perception of the movies.

You're missing the point. It happened in this universe. Whether 1& or 99% know about it, it happened. Why can't it happen to Snoke? I'm not saying it will, but let's reserve judgement about the overall storyline until we see the final movie. 

5 minutes ago, JonStark said:

You're missing the point. It happened in this universe. Whether 1& or 99% know about it, it happened. Why can't it happen to Snoke? I'm not saying it will, but let's reserve judgement about the overall storyline until we see the final movie. 

If it happens and my friend doesn't know about it, from his perspective it didn't happen. So he'll still ***** about it.

12 minutes ago, JonStark said:

A bunch of other things happened in the movies thaty were completely dismissed in this one. 

Archived