***SPOILERS*** Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi SPOILER Thread

Deadpulse

On 5/24/2018 at 1:05 PM, Calvert28 said:

Well he is half right. It would have been better if they cut those two things out entirely it would have been a much better movie. 

But then all we would have had is the slowest two hour car chase in human history with commercial breaks of the whiniest jedi ever. 

11 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

But then all we would have had is the slowest two hour car chase in human history with commercial breaks of the whiniest jedi ever. 

mmm yes because the only good movies are fast paced featuring characters with no depth or layers. I see your point. 

2 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

mmm yes because the only good movies are fast paced featuring characters with no depth or layers. I see your point. 

What layers or depth did most of the characters show? I will give you that I thought Hammils performance was spot on for what they asked him to play I just disagree with the direction. If anyone in this whole new reboot has shown the ability to have layers it's Kylo. Finn just copies the same character arc as the Force Awakens, Ren is still Ren since they made her both the best human being ever as well as being perfect at everything, Phasma was still wasted, Holdo was wasted, Poe is still Poe, Snoke is evil because evil. Hux seems to just be there to yell an occasional line and look jealously at Kylo. Rose just seemed to be there to give a love interest to Finn for no particular reason. Out of all of the reoccuring or main characters only really Kylo and Luke were layered in any sort of interesting way. 

I don't need a movie to be fast paced but the pacing was just awkward making the whole movie a chore. Too many good character ideas that were totally wasted on execution. I won't even step on the mountain of plot holes this movie had or the fact that it was the 2nd movie in a trilogy that felt like stomping on any of the setups of the first movie in the trilogy. 

49 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

What layers or depth did most of the characters show? I will give you that I thought Hammils performance was spot on for what they asked him to play I just disagree with the direction. If anyone in this whole new reboot has shown the ability to have layers it's Kylo. Finn just copies the same character arc as the Force Awakens, Ren is still Ren since they made her both the best human being ever as well as being perfect at everything, Phasma was still wasted, Holdo was wasted, Poe is still Poe, Snoke is evil because evil. Hux seems to just be there to yell an occasional line and look jealously at Kylo. Rose just seemed to be there to give a love interest to Finn for no particular reason. Out of all of the reoccuring or main characters only really Kylo and Luke were layered in any sort of interesting way. 

I don't need a movie to be fast paced but the pacing was just awkward making the whole movie a chore. Too many good character ideas that were totally wasted on execution. I won't even step on the mountain of plot holes this movie had or the fact that it was the 2nd movie in a trilogy that felt like stomping on any of the setups of the first movie in the trilogy. 

I agree with most of this.  Especially the part about Ren being the best human ever.  Because it's pretty obvious that with about 15 min of training, she should be able to defeat prime Vader.  I mean, with 0 training she pretty much was already GOAT.

17 minutes ago, theJ said:

I agree with most of this.  Especially the part about Ren being the best human ever.  Because it's pretty obvious that with about 15 min of training, she should be able to defeat prime Vader.  I mean, with 0 training she pretty much was already GOAT.

I could forgive the Mary Sue if she had some sort of darkness in her that pulled her more towards morally grey territory possibly a mix of dark and light that makes her an enigma when it comes to force users but she is so "Perfect" that she is just a boring shallow good guy character. Kylo on the other hand is much more interesting to me. 

3 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

At least they have something to distract from the terrible characters. 

2 movies in and they have barely scratched the surface of Ren. At least with Clone Wars, Anakins mom died in his arms and it constantly reiterated troubling thoughts around him not being able to save those he loves and it just eroded and ate away at him until it finally broke him. At least Lucas gave us that much. 

Rians explanation for Rens fall was that he was already bad. Luke just watched him fall into darkness more and more without being able to help him. 

Rens hatred for his parents from what we have gotten so far is because they sent him away to be trained by Luke  to protect him. Ben didnt want to go and that's where the darkness began? 

That's like a set of parents sending their kid to a summer camp they thought would be fun and good for him to grow and he turned into a serial killer. I mean things just don't add up for any of these characters for the way they are. 

Luke being a hermit wanting to die may have been understandable except that is not how TFA painted the picture of him going away for. As talented as Luke was had he wanted to disappear forever and die alone. There is no way anyone would have ever found him. 

Abrams can be forgiven for what he did because it was the first movie. If Rian didnt want to bring the characters in that direction he should have talked that out with Abrams to actually develop a flowing story that had little speed bumps if any. 

3 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

At least they have something to distract from the terrible characters. 

2 movies in and they have barely scratched the surface of Ren. At least with Clone Wars, Anakins mom died in his arms and it constantly reiterated troubling thoughts around him not being able to save those he loves and it just eroded and ate away at him until it finally broke him. At least Lucas gave us that much. 

Rians explanation for Rens fall was that he was already bad. Luke just watched him fall into darkness more and more without being able to help him. 

Rens hatred for his parents from what we have gotten so far is because they sent him away to be trained by Luke  to protect him. Ben didnt want to go and that's where the darkness began? 

That's like a set of parents sending their kid to a summer camp they thought would be fun and good for him to grow and he turned into a serial killer. I mean things just don't add up for any of these characters for the way they are. 

Luke being a hermit wanting to die may have been understandable except that is not how TFA painted the picture of him going away for. As talented as Luke was had he wanted to disappear forever and die alone. There is no way anyone would have ever found him. 

Abrams can be forgiven for what he did because it was the first movie. If Rian didnt want to bring the characters in that direction he should have talked that out with Abrams to actually develop a flowing story that had little speed bumps if any. 

Amazing. Every word of what you just said is wrong.

3 minutes ago, Desperado82 said:

I'm still trying to find what was enjoyable about this movie.

It's not the prequels and it has some of the best performances in star wars by Mark Hamil, Carrie Fischer and a hell of an arc for Kylo Ren. 

Plus it's Carrie Fischer's last performance and she's phenomenal so that probably raises it for some people. 

I get the Rose and Canto Bight stuff complaints from most people, but I don't get how people dislike how they dealt with Carrie Fischer and Luke's characters.  

Archived