***SPOILERS*** Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi SPOILER Thread

Deadpulse

On 6/29/2018 at 12:46 PM, Spartacus said:

I could forgive the Mary Sue if she had some sort of darkness in her that pulled her more towards morally grey territory possibly a mix of dark and light that makes her an enigma when it comes to force users but she is so "Perfect" that she is just a boring shallow good guy character. Kylo on the other hand is much more interesting to me. 

I said it before: TLJ missed a huge opportunity for Rey to go dark along with Kylo, setting up a Kylo redemption in the final episode (which had already been alluded to at the end of TFA, but all those plot threads just got thrown out so...).

On 6/29/2018 at 10:09 PM, OleXmad said:

Plus it's Carrie Fischer's last performance and she's phenomenal so that probably raises it for some people.

Fischer was bland and forgettable and was there for the paycheck. Her "force-pull" scene was a top 3 dumb Star Wars moment, competing with some of Jar Jar Binks' scenes tbh.

On 6/30/2018 at 10:00 PM, Spartacus said:

I agree but you cant watch this movie as a standalone but as part of a trilogy which it woefully fails at continuing Abrams first iteration. 

Not that TFA was some masterpiece but it setup a lot of great material to work with and none of it gets fulfilled in the sequel. 

1. Snokes huge setup as a big baddy is totally spoiled. 

2. They refer to the resistance as rebels which isn't true. 

3. Knights of Ren? 

4. Reys parents. 

5. Captain Phasma who?

6. Kylos seemingly religion revolving around Vader. 

Yup. All tossed out. Knights of Ren had great potential, and we got nothing. Snoke is presented as extremely powerful only to be easily tricked and defeated (although this may be a ruse... not counting on it though).

On 7/6/2018 at 2:51 PM, Deadpulse said:

Even if she is a woman in a command role, who cares? It doesnt matter at all what role she plays because she is good at what she does. 

Except she's not. She kept her kamikaze plan a secret... for what reasons, exactly? To seem powerful and wise? She could have avoided a literal mutiny opening her dumb pink-haired mouth.

On 7/6/2018 at 6:44 PM, Deadpulse said:

Because that character serves a very important purpose IMO. Poe needed someone in command that he didnt know/respect. The big reason why Leia was put out of commish and there were no other legends from the old rebellion to take her place was to help Poe along his character development. If its Ackbar, like you say, Poe in all likelihood trusts his plan without any push back because he is Admiral fricking Ackbar and he has more than earned that clout. However, since it is someone Poe doesnt know, someone he thinks he knows better than (watch him about to get up before Holdo is announced), he can move along his character development to learn to be a leader. His arc in the movie is to get from point A; wasting a lot of lives for very little in the bombing attack on the destroyer - to point B: realizing their best play when charging at the door buster is to fall back because too many were dying and then try to escape. Holdo is a HUGE part of that journey. 

Fair enough, but it needed to be executed better. The audience shouldn't be able to throw a wrench in the works just by asking "Well, why didn't she just share her plan?" There are other ways to manufacture character development beyond implementing what is essentially a huge plot hole. (Speaking to both Holdo & the "hyperspace projectile" nonsense.. don't even get me started on that again).

7 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

"How do we get fans back on the hook?"

"I know! We'll bring back... *spins wheel of original trilogy actors* Lando!"

Or you could... you know... just wait and see if he fits the story? 

I know it's a ridiculous concept to see how it plays out before judging it, but give it a shot. 

29 minutes ago, JonStark said:

Or you could... you know... just wait and see if he fits the story? 

I know it's a ridiculous concept to see how it plays out before judging it, but give it a shot. 

We're not allowed to judge the process? It's a discussion forum. If we all waited "to see how it played out before judging", this thread wouldn't be at 64 pages.

1 hour ago, cddolphin said:

"How do we get fans back on the hook?"

"I know! We'll bring back... *spins wheel of original trilogy actors* Lando!"

they will probably give him both male and female love interests, one of which will be a droid.

100% chance this movie sucks as*%*$&s just like the other ones Disney has made.  I mean honestly could you be any less creative in terms of story lines?  So and so is the father and or son, then he is turned evil, then he kills the family member off and throws them into a pit of nothing.  Death Star being made #998483, poor rebels vs Evil empire ruling the world.  Honestly freaking be creative, these new Star Wars movies all suck!  But so what they make Billions so I guess to many that is all that matters....

16 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

100% chance this movie sucks as*%*$&s just like the other ones Disney has made.  I mean honestly could you be any less creative in terms of story lines?  So and so is the father and or son, then he is turned evil, then he kills the family member off and throws them into a pit of nothing.  Death Star being made #998483, poor rebels vs Evil empire ruling the world.  Honestly freaking be creative, these new Star Wars movies all suck!  But so what they make Billions so I guess to many that is all that matters....

Have you not seen The Last Jedi?

7 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Have you not seen The Last Jedi?

Yeah I have, but I heard Disney is taking their films off Netflix in the future so will not be able to see ones down the road, no big loss, no way I would go rent that crap in a redbox.  Basically the movies are like the stupid cartoon they created, just throw a bunch of new names out there that are "new", make some stupid story just slightly different than the old ones and sell it, the creativity is literally...

giphy.webp

Take Mad Max, he made a new one with Fury road which was completely unique and original, only thing is it had a character of the same name but completely different look and new characters that were not stupid additions.  The vibe, story, how it was shot, the vehicles, everything was different from the older Mad Max movies.  Sure somethings are the same but at least it is new and different,.  Something no new Stars Disney made movie has been in my view.

12 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Take Mad Max, he made a new one with Fury road which was completely unique and original, only thing is it had a character of the same name but completely different look and new characters that were not stupid additions.  The vibe, story, how it was shot, the vehicles, everything was different from the older Mad Max movies.  Sure somethings are the same but at least it is new and different,.  Something no new Stars Disney made movie has been in my view.

My god if they did this with Star Wars there would be RIOTS

7 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

My god if they did this with Star Wars there would be RIOTS

Just think if Fury Road had the Gyro captain in it, Tina Turner in it, that warrior kid, assless chaps guy Humungus in it....yeah it would be stupid and that is exactly what Star Wars is doing.  Freaking get an original idea, oh no that is too hard...

10 hours ago, fretgod99 said:

Really. I mean, regardless of how one feels about it, “do something different” is not a criticism that can be levied at The Last Jedi.

How is it not a criticism?  So to you that was a wildly creative and original movie?  Again Mad Max Fury Road, Disney Star Wars take note, make it different and better, hell The Dark Knight was just another Batman movie, but was way better and different than others before it.  Sure some things are the same but at least make it your freaking own in some way.  These new Star Wars movies and totally not different and definitely not better than the original three Star Wars movies.  The fight scenes are boring as are the space ship fight scenes which use the exact same camera shots for the pilots talking than the old ones had.  To quote an old white haired man who I was sitting near in the theater after The Force Awakens ended,   "a lot of repeat shi*^&$t".

They seemed to have the need to increase the overall culture equality of the cast so let us get the White chick Rey who can fight, black guy Finn, now new Asian chick Rose Tico who is oddly introduced and pretty lame, then a Hispanic flavor with Benicio Del Toro.  Yet the bad guys are still all British white dudes for whatever reason outside of that chick who is Robot British... Got to appeal to the masses of course.  Oh and Snoke, at least he is not 4 stories tall anymore hologram man, still stupid and kill me and it will complete the cycle blah blah never heard that before has one.  They could have changed things up, made Kylo Ren actually turn to for the good, side with them and fight with them.  Then it would actually be something different and a different story line and you could go ahead and get an actually cool bad guy.  But no, do not do that at all, that would be too creative.  Let us keep this same lame bad guy, with a mask for really no reason but Darth had one so hell we need another one in a mask.  Then he will be the puppet of a higher Dark force guy who questions the strength of his apprentice yet needs him to get the other good Jedi over here and turn them, oh that never happened before either.

Then the Death Star thing always bigger than before that could destroy even more, a planet wow, no a galaxy now.  Ok honestly there should be a limit on that, no just have them build another then have them go in and try to shut it down with these secret plans they got.  Wow so creative.  Not to mention little Yoda lady who knows all and is little like Yoda but not Yoda because she is a lady...how original.

Then the Girl with the Purple Hair 'Vice Admiral Holdo' was one of the mail villains in the movie, or at least the middle part she was made to be that, why else would she have Purple hair, that is why. And how pathetic of a plot is that, she is a 'good guy', oh but no oh but wait yes she is, she did it for the best of them all, oh how crazy of a story line.  Oh and the rebel space pilot who has a mind of his own, Poe Dameron that is real original and not based off anyone from before, right.  And poor Leia, how they plan on doing that one in the future, or did they record a death so it could be used after her sad actual passing.  She was probably insulted by what she was asked to do, but what the heck it is money and a paycheck.  Her role is just a transition to the new from the old literally on screen.  Luke was able to actually act a little in it, seemed more genuine than Han was, he wanted to get the hell out of that other one and probably asked to be killed off.

But a movie makes a Billion dollars so really who cares if it was good or not, just have a action/fantasy movie with witty one liners in it here and there.  And make it PG enough to able to be seen by kids and adults and it will make a killing at the Box Office.  All I know is, I doubt people are saying oh yeah The Last Jedi is shown on TV, which it will be in what a year from now, so interesting while they release the next new Star Wars movie in what Christmas time....  At least they know when to release the thing, Christmas or the start of Summer.  Get it when the kids are free..

Archived