***SPOILERS*** Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi SPOILER Thread

Deadpulse

1 hour ago, Malfatron said:

i think they need to start fresh with star wars 

hire a really good screenwriter, have all new characters, and get a really good director

Pretty sure the next trilogy is going way away from anything Star Wars as we know it. 

2 hours ago, fretgod99 said:

I imagine she told all the people who needed to know because they were relevant to the plan. That’s how the military works. If you don’t need to know, you aren’t told, no matter how important you think you are. Learn restraint, learn your place, and show me I can trust you after your long history if going rogue.

They made it a secret because they don’t know how they got tracked through hyperspace. Did they get tracked with some hereto unknown tech or did someone in their fleet clue them in? Hence, only tell your plan to people you know you can explicitly trust. Remember, they had to come up with it on the fly after the FO fleet followed them through the jump, so it’s not like there was a ton of time for debriefing everybody on the ship. It makes perfect sense if you can get around the idea that Poe is the star which makes us think everything should revolve around him.

Also, the dude literally just got demoted for disregarding a direct order that lead to the death's of MANY people and the loss of a lot of resources for almost no gain. Ive said it before, but the leap of logic shouldnt be why Holdo didn't tell Poe what was going on, it's why Poe was free to wander around and do whatever he wanted (like incite a mutiny) instead of in the brig. We know they have one with people in it, Rose mentions it. 

2 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Because they believed there was a spy onboard feeding information. 

When did they say that? I figured that would have been apart of the plot when I first saw it but I don't remember them even entertaining that idea.

Just now, Calvert28 said:

When did they say that? I figured that would have been apart of the plot when I first saw it but I don't remember them even entertaining that idea.

I don't remember where they said that.  I only saw it once, but I distinctly recall either openly stated or heavily suggested musings that there was a spy onboard.  Wasn't it Rose/Finn/Poe who discovered on their own how the First Order was tracking them?  If those three discovered that on their own, you have to assume that the others didn't know about it, which would lead one to believe that they expected a possible spy. 

In any event, not telling everybody onboard a secret plan isn't exactly out of the norm for literally any leadership position in wartime situations ever.  Literally ever.  How often do you think mechanics and pilots are told what military plans are? 

It's a complaint for the sake of complaining, and you damn well know it.  Drop this one from your complaint repertoire.  Some of your complaints have merit.  This one firmly and unequivocally does not. 

5 hours ago, Malfatron said:

i find it interesting why people think Blade Runner is good.

technically, its a masterpiece...but its so damn boring 

People apparently think Eyes Wide Shut was some sort of pinnacle of Kubrick’s work. That movie is just painful to watch. People are weird.

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

I don't remember where they said that.  I only saw it once, but I distinctly recall either openly stated or heavily suggested musings that there was a spy onboard.  Wasn't it Rose/Finn/Poe who discovered on their own how the First Order was tracking them?  If those three discovered that on their own, you have to assume that the others didn't know about it, which would lead one to believe that they expected a possible spy. 

In any event, not telling everybody onboard a secret plan isn't exactly out of the norm for literally any leadership position in wartime situations ever.  Literally ever.  How often do you think mechanics and pilots are told what military plans are? 

It's a complaint for the sake of complaining, and you damn well know it.  Drop this one from your complaint repertoire.  Some of your complaints have merit.  This one firmly and unequivocally does not. 

Except that is not the way things have been done with the rebel alliance or resistance. In almost every movie there is a discussion in a group and it actually meant something when George Lucas did it that way instead of just blindly following orders like the Empire it was supposed to signify something greater like community involvement. Holdo is just doing more of the same thing that the FO does except the situation wasn't thought through.

Yall's claim is that she didn't inform Poe because he disobeyed an order and so he should take this on blind faith in someone he's never served under before in the fight for their lives. If he wasn't going to follow a plan he knew everything about, why would he follow an order on something he knew nothing about?

5 hours ago, cddolphin said:

I like your best movie list and I loved the original Blade Runner - never saw the sequel. Why was it bad?

It was bad,  the young chick that is the maker of dreams for the freak replicants is guess who, Deckard's daughter.  Ahh wow, guess who they took that gem from, maybe stupid The Force Awakens.  So unique and original right. Also had this stupid huge hologram chick in some shots, at least she was not as ugly as Snoke but honestly dumb not cool idea.  But yeah the original Blade Runner the original is not for everyone, if you like Neo-Noir movies it is sweet, with all that neon lighting, rain, detective story, sweet fur coats and cool replicant owls.  The visuals in that film are outstanding I think and the art direction is very unique, boring to some maybe but they also probably like the Transformers movies so go watch that exciting ride, give me something with a little more meaning and story.  

As for Disney goes, I will be passive aggressive also.  Well there are what 138 movies on that list since 2003, I will give you Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl: the remakes all sucked, or should I say POFCTCOFHBPOSIS freaking abbreviation time I guess....  WALL-E: but I say that entire second half of that movie with the fat humans completely sucks, Frozen: which is another BS call because they have no real good villain and the closest one is her sister and or main character, oh but she is not a villain it is Maleficent all over again, great.  And Finding Nemo, bring some class to this list.  That is what 4 out of 138, so under 3% even considered a good movie.

That is over a span of 15 years, that is not even a good movie every year.  Even if you take all 11 good movies from that list which were purposed it is still 11 out of 138 so not even 8%.  Oh that is really impressive.

Want to say a good movie from that list not Finding Nemo, say Secretariat or Alice in Wonderland not freaking National Treasure.  Guess that explains why you like the new Star Wars movies maybe if you like that movie.  Probably like Adam Sandler movies as well, good solid American fun, he has not made a good movie since The Waterboy but has helped some unemployed SNL actors/comedies that is for sure.  All joking aside clearly we have different tastes in movies, but yeah not everyone loved the new Star Wars movies. If you want to challenge some more of my 'god awful' opinions feel free to do so in regards to other movies outside of Star Wars or Disney, or better yet NFL draft prospects.  

48 minutes ago, fretgod99 said:

People apparently think Eyes Wide Shut was some sort of pinnacle of Kubrick’s work. That movie is just painful to watch. People are weird.

Eyes Wide Shut is far less painful to watch then A Clockwork Orange, it is not even really close on that one I feel. But that is the point in a majority of his films, make it intense and hard to view and or scary, in that he really succeeded. This is how I would rank Kubrick's movies, and technically only one, The Shining would be considered and all time great to me.  The rest were good but nothing amazing, and 2001: A Space Odyssey, people talk boring space movies, that is one.  Some rank that highly but what was great about that movie was the musical score and how they used music overall, cool villain as well but overall was not my favorite and lacked a variety of interest points.  Dr. Strangelove was way better than 2001: A Space Odyssey.

The Shining
Dr. Strangelove or: How I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
Eyes Wide Shut
A Clockwork Orange
Full Metal Jacket
2001: A Space Odyssey
Barry Lyndon
Paths of Glory
Lolita
The Killing

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

@Calvert28, point out the scene in the original trilogy where everybody on an entire ship was informed of plans.  Please especially include when plans were shared with a MECHANIC, a First Order/Empire defector, and a non-force sensitive pilot.

Ooooooo lets say the very first movie where they were planning the attack on the Death Star. How did they approach the planning? I can go from there if you want.

5 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Ooooooo lets say the very first movie where they were planning the attack on the Death Star. How did they approach the planning? I can go from there if you want.

You mean when they were explaining to the pilots what they had to do while they were piloting?  That one?  Is that the scene you're referring to?  

Which part in TLJ did they not explain to Poe what he was supposed to do while he was piloting?

52 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

As for Disney goes, I will be passive aggressive also.  Well there are what 138 movies on that list since 2003, I will give you Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl: the remakes all sucked, or should I say POFCTCOFHBPOSIS freaking abbreviation time I guess....  WALL-E: but I say that entire second half of that movie with the fat humans completely sucks, Frozen: which is another BS call because they have no real good villain and the closest one is her sister and or main character, oh but she is not a villain it is Maleficent all over again, great.  And Finding Nemo, bring some class to this list.  That is what 4 out of 138, so under 3% even considered a good movie.

Lulz.

PotC sequels (you’re using remakes when you want sequels) generally were not good. Never said otherwise. I never said National Treasure was great, just said it was a solid, fun movie, which it was. Your claim was no good movies. Clearly wrong. You can move the goalposts all you want, your claim was still patently ridiculous. And no, not generally a fan of Adam Sandler. Keep digging though.

2 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

You mean when they were explaining to the pilots what they had to do while they were piloting?  That one?  Is that the scene you're referring to?  

Which part in TLJ did they not explain to Poe what he was supposed to do while he was piloting?

Pilots? You mean like the 50 people in the room, including a smuggler who could have just been working for the Empire as far as they knew? What about the people on the work stations doing God knows what? They did the same thing in ROTJ. Most of the planning done in the Rebel Alliance was like a meeting of congress.

2 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Pilots? You mean like the 50 people in the room, including a smuggler who could have just been working for the Empire as far as they knew? What about the people on the work stations doing God knows what? They did the same thing in ROTJ. Most of the planning done in the Rebel Alliance was like a meeting of congress.

By the people who needed to know, not everybody in the Alliance. That’s his point.

Archived